Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

A Difficult Choice for a new Cayenne owner...

Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 AM
2FAST! is on a distinguished road
Unhappy A Difficult Choice for a new Cayenne owner...

Hi guys,

I am new to Porsche. I have read alot of the threads here and was planing to make my delivery post (happily). I ordered a new 2016 Red Cayenne GTS from the local dealer. It is actually a car that they have in stock. Went through the deposit and documentations and was expecting to pick it up yesterday.

I was informed that the car did not pass their Pre-Delivery Inspection. There was an engine error code. After further investigation, they said it is related to the Tappet of the engine and the part has to be replaced. I do not have any further details on the failure.

Now I am faced with a difficulty choice. I have the following options:

1. They ordered the parts from Germany and will fix the car after receiving them (May take 2-3 weeks or less he said). Then deliver that car to me and give me an extra year of factory warranty up from 2 years to 3 years as a compensation/confidence booster.

2. Pick another Cayenne GTS from their available stock. I can only find a similar one in White color which I like alright BUT it has no Air Suspension. Is this going to be important for me? I do not Tow nor do major off road driving. There aren't that many portholes around here and I think the stock max ground clearance of 204mm is Okay. The PASM is stock on all GTS.

3. Custom Order one and wait months or cancel the order and forget about the Cayenne.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input in advance.

Last edited by 2FAST!; 06-26-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:10 AM
Matt911 is on a distinguished road
A GTS without an air suspension is a big no no. With Air/PASM it's already stiff. I can't imagine one with steel springs suspension. And for the red one you're basically buying a new car with an opened engine, or maybe worse a lemon car. If I were in your shoes I would go with ordering the car from scratch.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Matt911
A GTS without an air suspension is a big no no. With Air/PASM it's already stiff. I can't imagine one with steel springs suspension. And for the red one you're basically buying a new car with an opened engine, or maybe worse a lemon car. If I were in your shoes I would go with ordering the car from scratch.
Wow is it really that stiff? I thought the Air Suspension only allows me to adjust the ride height and do the auto leveling while PASM is related to the suspension stiffness for air & steel springs. I have done alot of searching but no specific review on the air suspension on the Cayenne... I am personally more used to sporty ride settings. No kids. But I originally wanted to be able to adjust the ride height for more variable situations >_<

And yes it seems foolish to buy a car that needs opening of the engine before it is even delivered!

Last edited by 2FAST!; 06-26-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 AM
ronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud of
I'd order a new one EXACTLY the way way you want. These cars aren't cheap so go get the one you want.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:01 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
If you like the one you are currently looking at, wait on it and accept their extra year of warranty (get that in writing though and make sure it is factory/cpo quality and not some aftermarket BS that will reject all your claims). Stuff happens and the important part is that they caught it and are taking care of it.

As far as air suspension, get it on the GTS as there is a performance component as well. The steel suspension is good, but people have reported it having a harsh ride with 20+" wheels.

If there are still other things you'd like to have (or maybe it has somethings you don't want), order one exactly like you want. The best feature of buying a new Porsche is that you get to build it exactly the way you want

Old 06-26-2015, 09:57 AM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't have a problem going with the red one with the extra warranty. I've got the air suspension on my diesel and I love the way it lowers the car.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It comforts me a little

The dealer has been actively following up and responding to me promptly. The red car has everything I want besides Bose and Rear Electric Sunshades. I will retrofit the carbon trims myself because otherwise I would have to pay heavy taxes for the options. The white GTS they have in stock has similar loadout with Sunshade but without Air Suspension. But it seems like Air suspension is a MUST for this car according to the feedback. I have no idea why all 7 new GTS they have in stock does not have them installed. Does the low settings make the car more stable say while at higher speeds on a freeway?

Yes this is an expensive car so I am taking all options seriously. One extra year of warranty seems nice. I will see how long it will take them to repair and deliver. Also would check how long would it take to custom order one the way I want.

Hope I would be driving one soon...

Old 06-27-2015, 06:13 AM
Matt911 is on a distinguished road
If the roads around you is smooth without cracks and so on, the air/pasm won't make a huge difference. But you are getting a GTS; air/pasm should be included to enjoy the whole gts experience . Why wouldn't you test drive the white one to see if you like it or not.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 PM
KBahn is on a distinguished road
Factory order the car and options you want - take air suspension - and know that the car you're buying is exactly the car you want. Not worth saving a few HK$ for a compromise IMO.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:52 AM
dytryn is on a distinguished road
Definitely go with the air suspension as it totally transforms the ride. It's especially amazing when towing.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 AM
visitador will become famous soon enoughvisitador will become famous soon enough
Have you asked the dealer if they can find a similar one from the stock inventory of another dealer? Maybe they are willing to swap?

Otherwise, my opinion is wait and order one. It is an expensive new car and, even if they extend the warranty for a year, it will show in the records and may diminish the resale value.