Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY - 958 PCM3.1 Video Interface and Android Module Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 AM
ohnoyuji will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jarge11
Is it possible to use this video interface unit together with another android smart TV box instead of the android sat nav box.
Would the existing PCM touchscreen work?
I can only think of one possible option.
1 - Use RCA cable to feed your android tv box as one of the media input, use wireless mouse for controlling your tv box.
2 - If you have the pin-out schematic of the interface box, you can actually feed your tv box hdmi directly to the interface box, but I believe it would be limited to 480i resolution, so, RCA connection is easier.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Raph Wayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Does any one know if you can change the screen saver?

Old 03-27-2018, 03:09 PM
Alakdae is an unknown quantity at this point
Black screen

I connected the interface board and the interface box, but all I have is black screen when switched to the interface. The blue LED on the interface box is blinking. When reversing the screen shows the lines and black screen (there is no camera) so I assume the interface box is working. So why there is only black screen when switching?

Also I have some questions:
1. On the main connector there are 2 loose cables ACC and Key-In. Do they need to be connected somewhere?
2. Also there is a 3.5mm jack on the main black connector. Should it be connected to something? Or only the RCA audio out from Android box to AUX in?
3. The Android box BATTERY+ and ACC can be both connected to lighter plug +? And GND to lighter plug -?

Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM
SoulMaster is on a distinguished road
Just ordered my android 6.0 kit!

For years I've had a Nexus 9 stuck to the dash w/ 3M Autolock, charging from a cig lighter, and a 3mm cable fished around into the glove box. CarPlay home made it awesome, but I didn't have my rearview camera, don't really like leaving a Li-Ion battery baking in the Vegas sun, and it looks a bit janky. This seems like a perfect solution.

Now to wait for delivery...

-SM

Old 05-19-2018, 04:09 PM
boodai is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Is there additional wire here to connect?

I saw this pic of a fellow who posted here and he had an additional wire plugged into the board, I cant find the port of it, am I alright?

Thank you

Thats my board where I cant see the port of the multicolored cable, I appreciate your help guys.
Thank you

Old 05-19-2018, 05:01 PM
ewenc126 is an unknown quantity at this point

hope will help you

Old 05-29-2018, 12:21 PM
Notes from my install

Just wanted to drop some notes here about minor issues I ran into while doing my install this weekend:

1. Hold NAV for 2 seconds doesn't work.
No matter what I did I couldn't get into the main menu of the multi media box's screen. It was blank, or, when I put it in revers, the backup-guides were there, but nothing. What I wound up having to do, was flip dip-switch 6, reset the MM controller, then I could single-tap the screen and get a button that allowed me into the MM setup screen in post 32. (That 2nd "home button" isn't there unless DS6 s on, but DS6 interferes with Android, so you need to turn it off for normal ops.) This is also the root cause for the problem described in post 78.
Update: The developers don't seem to understand this. I sent them a video, they still don't understand why it's doing this. Neither do I.
2. No "Notification Bar"
I have to figure this out ASAP, but by default there's no real notification bar. This means that when I get an email, or a hangouts message, unless I see the notification and tap it right away there's no way to know (other than going into each app). I tried swiping down from the top, which you would do on a normal build of android, but it's simply not there.
Update: The developers say that this is by design because it's crashing their build when they enable it. This makes no sense. Android w/o Notification Bar isn't really Android. It might have something to do with the virtual button bar they have on the top where the notifications would go. Not sure what that needs to be there, could be on side or on bottom or virtual, like their other virtual button.
3. Calendar Storage disabled
This is another issue I have to figure out quickly. It seems that this build of Marshmallow (Android 6.0) has Calendar Storage disabled, so no calendar apps / widgets will work. This is imperative to me, as I like to see my calendar as soon as I get in the car so I know what's next, or how fast I have to race to work. I've tried installing the Google Calendar, the Calendar app from 4.4 and Simple Calendar. None of them work w/o calendar storage enabled. This might mean I have to rebuild the OS. I don't want to do that. I'm going to email support later today.
Update: The "Calendar Storage" APK needs to be installed. I tried several. This is the one that worked: com.android.providers.calendar_7.50.682297-761700040_minAPI23(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk You can get it here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/htc-co...-apk-download/
4. Fuse Tap for the Android Box + cabling note
I used right-hand-box fuse 40. I have a 2011 CTT, and this slot was unused because I don't have a trailer hitch. It's switched, but because Android takes <30s to boot it's not really a big issue.
I originally had it plugged into Fuse 6 (also unused on mine) which is unswitched, but I was concerned about the box getting too hot when baking in the Vegas desert sun, so I went with switched. Important note: On the android box, there are 2 power taps, BATT and ACC, in addition to the ground. BOTH need power, so I tied them both the same add-a-circuit. It took me some time to figure this out, and I was a bit frustrated that the android module wouldn't power on. The ground runs to the grounding screw, which is also inside the panel.
5. Bluetooth is MIA / No USB Tethering option
The page I bought the box from says it has bluetooth. I'd rather use BTT tethering than WiFi (less drain on the phone), but BTT simply isn't there. There's a Bluetooth antenna, so I'm not sure if they just forgot to include it when they built android, or if it's simply BS. USB Tethering to my phone (Pixel XL) doesn't seem to be working either. I'm emailing support
Update: Bluetooth is there via App only (not in settings). It doesn't seem to allow BT tethering. Still working on it.
6. The microphone is SERIOUSLY directional.
To the point of being useless. It doesn't pick me up at all unless I'm talking loudly directly at it. I'm going to try to adjust the gain via app/setting, or I'll have to try getting an omnidirectional microphone. I have it clipped on the driver's side windshield pillar, near the visor and have to look right at it to get it to hear me, even when it's quiet. Useless.
Update: They sent me a patch that will hopefully fix this. Installing it tonight.
I think that's about it. Like a poster above, I also had to remove the Sirius/XM module to get the circuit board to fit inside the PCM. Also the cabling is different on the new version, there's no t-shaped "bypass" cable, the circuit board handles the bypass. I used Google Translates' camera and 2 slots said "from car" the other two said "to display." It was intuitive, though.

I'll post back if I hear from support, or if I can think of any other gotchya's.
Edited on 6/6 to add some communication notes w/ the devs and some fixes.
Cheers,

-SM

Last edited by SoulMaster; 06-06-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:59 PM
AmorCayenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SoulMaster
Just wanted to drop some notes here about minor issues I ran into while doing my install this weekend:

1. Hold NAV for 2 seconds doesn't work.
No matter what I did I couldn't get into the main menu of the multi media box's screen. It was blank, or, when I put it in revers, the backup-guides were there, but nothing. What I wound up having to do, was flip dip-switch 6, reset the MM controller, then I could single-tap the screen and get a button that allowed me into the MM setup screen in post 32. (That 2nd "home button" isn't there unless DS6 s on, but DS6 interferes with Android, so you need to turn it off for normal ops.) This is also the root cause for the problem described in post 78.
Update: The developers don't seem to understand this. I sent them a video, they still don't understand why it's doing this. Neither do I.
2. No "Notification Bar"
I have to figure this out ASAP, but by default there's no real notification bar. This means that when I get an email, or a hangouts message, unless I see the notification and tap it right away there's no way to know (other than going into each app). I tried swiping down from the top, which you would do on a normal build of android, but it's simply not there.
Update: The developers say that this is by design because it's crashing their build when they enable it. This makes no sense. Android w/o Notification Bar isn't really Android. It might have something to do with the virtual button bar they have on the top where the notifications would go. Not sure what that needs to be there, could be on side or on bottom or virtual, like their other virtual button.
3. Calendar Storage disabled
This is another issue I have to figure out quickly. It seems that this build of Marshmallow (Android 6.0) has Calendar Storage disabled, so no calendar apps / widgets will work. This is imperative to me, as I like to see my calendar as soon as I get in the car so I know what's next, or how fast I have to race to work. I've tried installing the Google Calendar, the Calendar app from 4.4 and Simple Calendar. None of them work w/o calendar storage enabled. This might mean I have to rebuild the OS. I don't want to do that. I'm going to email support later today.
Update: The "Calendar Storage" APK needs to be installed. I tried several. This is the one that worked: com.android.providers.calendar_7.50.682297-761700040_minAPI23(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk You can get it here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/htc-co...-apk-download/
4. Fuse Tap for the Android Box + cabling note
I used right-hand-box fuse 40. I have a 2011 CTT, and this slot was unused because I don't have a trailer hitch. It's switched, but because Android takes <30s to boot it's not really a big issue.
I originally had it plugged into Fuse 6 (also unused on mine) which is unswitched, but I was concerned about the box getting too hot when baking in the Vegas desert sun, so I went with switched. Important note: On the android box, there are 2 power taps, BATT and ACC, in addition to the ground. BOTH need power, so I tied them both the same add-a-circuit. It took me some time to figure this out, and I was a bit frustrated that the android module wouldn't power on. The ground runs to the grounding screw, which is also inside the panel.
5. Bluetooth is MIA / No USB Tethering option
The page I bought the box from says it has bluetooth. I'd rather use BTT tethering than WiFi (less drain on the phone), but BTT simply isn't there. There's a Bluetooth antenna, so I'm not sure if they just forgot to include it when they built android, or if it's simply BS. USB Tethering to my phone (Pixel XL) doesn't seem to be working either. I'm emailing support
Update: Bluetooth is there via App only (not in settings). It doesn't seem to allow BT tethering. Still working on it.
6. The microphone is SERIOUSLY directional.
To the point of being useless. It doesn't pick me up at all unless I'm talking loudly directly at it. I'm going to try to adjust the gain via app/setting, or I'll have to try getting an omnidirectional microphone. I have it clipped on the driver's side windshield pillar, near the visor and have to look right at it to get it to hear me, even when it's quiet. Useless.
Update: They sent me a patch that will hopefully fix this. Installing it tonight.
I think that's about it. Like a poster above, I also had to remove the Sirius/XM module to get the circuit board to fit inside the PCM. Also the cabling is different on the new version, there's no t-shaped "bypass" cable, the circuit board handles the bypass. I used Google Translates' camera and 2 slots said "from car" the other two said "to display." It was intuitive, though.

I'll post back if I hear from support, or if I can think of any other gotchya's.
Edited on 6/6 to add some communication notes w/ the devs and some fixes.
Cheers,

-SM

How is the unit android unit working for you?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:53 PM
suliman khayyat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quite straange issue

Hello everyone, I hooked up everything as suggested but the acc and b+ is temporary wired to a stipped car charger for testing and i'm getting this image only nothing happens?! Can you anyone help?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
If you have this hooked up directly to a battery charger you are putting too much voltage into the PCM, and the voltage undoubtedly has a lot of "ripple" on it. A battery charger needs a high capacitance load like a car battery across it's output - without it the voltage will probably exceed 15V, and there is no filtering of the DC it puts out, so lots of AC gets through. A battery charger is not designed to be used alone as a power supply.

I'd suggest you not do this - and do install it in the vehicle and see if it works using the vehicle battery.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:37 PM
It's OK. AliExpress gave me some money back b/c the seller was a liar. I wish I could get a copy of base android b/c whomever did the install really screwed this up. Android can only see 2GB app storage space, even though ES FileManager can see 23GB. It's really annoying.

Also, I need to get it hooked to a battery b/c it reboots everytime the power cycles in the car (ignition). I know there's a lead to tap into a 30min fuse, I just need to find the lead. Because I get Zero support from the seller (because they're horrible) and nothing from the manufacturer, it's going to be a process.

I'm about to power it up using AC to see if I can hack android enough to make it more functional. Until then, I'd recommend the standard CarPlay/Android Auto kit for the PCM and just run off your phone.

Ignore all that nonsense - That was all about the 10.4" Tesla screen I'm trying to use to replace it. The lSailt Kit was awesome, and actually what I would recommend.

-S

Old 01-14-2021, 07:53 AM
Emerging Sponsor
atwong1 will become famous soon enough