Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

V6 OEM oil filter, made in China

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:10 PM
CayennePepper is an unknown quantity at this point
Question V6 OEM oil filter, made in China

I stocked up on some OEM oil filter cartridges and it seems they are just regular ol' paper oil filters that are made in China. While I have no qualms with it since it meets Porsche specs, I was wondering if anybody else rocks another type of filter. Even the Wix, Fram filters are all cellulose type ones. Does anybody know if they make synthetic filters for our V6's?

It seems K&N makes a filter for the VR6 our engine is based off of (since they list part numbers for the toureg V6) but nothing comes up for the cayenne V6.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:41 AM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
I wouldn't use them. I've used non Mann, non Hengst and Non OEM before and when I went to remove them, they had collapsed.

Granted this was on other cars, but ever since then, I' always use the good stuff.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I wouldn't use them. I've used non Mann, non Hengst and Non OEM before and when I went to remove them, they had collapsed.

Granted this was on other cars, but ever since then, I' always use the good stuff.
How about MAHLE products? Are they equivalent to the MANN products? OEM seems overpriced compared to MAHLE ($28 vs $12).

Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Chadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

Same my friend. They're notorious for collapsing on my N54 powered BMW.

After seeing it once, OEM/Mahle/Mann are the only options I'll even consider.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM
9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough
Since our V6 is the VW engine, just get the VW oil filter: 03H115562

About $16.50 at the dealer and a couple bucks cheaper online. They are also Made in China so most likely made in the same factory with a different packaging

Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
That could be another alternative if you want OEM. I got mine (MAHLE) online for under $13. Looks like the MAHLE filter is made in Bulgaria.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:35 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CayennePepper
I stocked up on some OEM oil filter cartridges and it seems they are just regular ol' paper oil filters that are made in China. While I have no qualms with it since it meets Porsche specs, I was wondering if anybody else rocks another type of filter. Even the Wix, Fram filters are all cellulose type ones. Does anybody know if they make synthetic filters for our V6's?

It seems K&N makes a filter for the VR6 our engine is based off of (since they list part numbers for the toureg V6) but nothing comes up for the cayenne V6.

Just to be clear, the OEM oil filters (Porsche, Mann, Mahle, and Hengst) are all "just regular ol' paper oil filters ". Several reputable parts dealers sell these top quality OEM oil filters for less than $10 each. I've never seen a synthetic oil filter for a Porsche.

Last edited by alpine-al; 06-23-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM
CayennePepper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by alpine-al
Just to be clear, the OEM oil filters (Porsche, Mann, Mahle, and Hengst) are all "just regular ol' paper oil filters ". Several reputable parts dealers sell these top quality OEM oil filters for less than $10 each. I've never seen a synthetic oil filter for a Porsche.

It's not really about cost, I was just wondering why Porsche would use made in china paper pleat filters, especially when our cars run 10k OCIs (All my other cars use oil filters where the media is 2 ply synthetic and wirebacked). Regardless, since they are OEM and meet specs, I'm going to keep using them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.