Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

ApplePlay Addon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
If you have the background (like me) you will be fine.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 AM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Correct me if I’m wrong but you also lose your XMSirius sat capability as well during this mod correct?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 AM
Looking forward to your vids!!!

Old 03-14-2018, 03:46 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Full siriusxm functionality remains. Nothing is lost from the PCM.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:25 PM
dollarlongnecks is an unknown quantity at this point
Good afternoon, just a quick update, as I'm currently wrapping up the basic install part..

This is a pretty sweet system, and now that I've got things figured-out, I wanted to share a few things before I do a big write-up. Here are some of the major points:
  • Install requires no cutting or splicing wires. The only real concern was moving a set of (previously unknown) fiber-optic cables from the factory plug to the aftermarket plug. But everything still just snaps in place, so not a big deal. If you've ever installed memory or a video card into a computer, the circuit board install is a piece of cake.
  • Because of the item above, the install is completely reversible (though you'll leave at least one warranty seal broken by opening the PCM).
  • It appears to me that there is no way to retain the satellite radio, as the daughter boards can't both fit in the PCM case as currently designed. The satellite radio parts can be removed and reused, and you don't have to destroy the antenna like I've seen elsewhere on the internet.
  • Switching between the CarPlay system and the original PCM functions is done with simple button presses, and works well. Items running on the CarPlay box will continue to run as you switch between interfaces.
  • Touchscreen works, as well as all controls on the PCM and the steering wheel (besides maybe the programmable button, depending on it's programmed function).
  • The system uses the AUX input, so you'll need to select that as your media input through the PCM if you want any sound coming from the CarPlay system. I'd already switched to AUX as my saved default anyway because of the damn PCM default of always starting with the volume up, so this works-out perfect.
  • Plugging in the iPhone automatically brings-up the CarPlay interface without any other action needed, so that's cool. If you're in the PCM interface, you can switch to CarPlay by "long-pressing" the NAVI button (maybe two seconds) and then releasing it... I kept holding the buttons in, waiting for the interface to change, but it never would. You have to press, hold, and release, and THEN it will change. Going back to the PCM is simple, just press the CAR button (several other PCM function buttons work as well).
  • In addition to the CarPlay function, the system can also play media from a USB drive. I was playing a mp4 movie off a thumbdrive earlier.
  • There is also a menu with some other functions I'm working on trying to figure-out. These include DVD (maybe play DVD disks), TV (possible play TV with a ATSC module), and Android (which might allow the use of an Android phone instead of an iPhone).

I'm about to start putting things back together so I can get out and drive and test more, but I'll try to get some pics and video up in the next few days.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm confused OCYN says you CAN still have your SiriusXM and Dollar you state you can not. Dollar which link did you purchase your kit from? Thanks.

T.J.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 PM
My siriusxm remained. I am not sure if the dimensions of the boards are different with a 991 vs Cayenne. But my siriusxm works perfectly. My kit was from Nick Marquis from the UK. They have many of the circuit board spacers that cover the various widths of the different siriusxm boards. This is why it is recommended to buy from an experienced dealer that supplys the right kit parts. I wanted to make sure to keep all of the radio functionality. Note, the apple siriusxm app supports carplay, so technically you do not need siriusxm original functionality.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:55 PM
OCYN can you provide a link for everyone to this seller? Thank you. I do not want to lose any OEM pieces either.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Here you go. There is a group price and the company representative is Nick Marquis.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 PM
And here's the link to the one I have:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Apple-iOS-mirror-link-box-for-Porsche-PCM-3-1-Cayenne-Macan-Panamera-911-etc/32820507140.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.S6rhKu

There are basically two vendors out of China selling very similar products, Unichip and Lsailt. NMAuto is taking the Unichip package and repackaging it with some addons and supposedly much better instructions. However the installs are likely nearly identical, so my how-to should give as much or more info than what comes from NMAuto.

I don't know yet if there is a difference in specific functions between the two, so we might want to compile a list comparing them since I think we'll have users with each system.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-22-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:33 PM
For some reason my other post didn't go through..

There are at least two different boards that go inside the PCM for this type of install. The one I have doesn't natively allow you to keep the XM, though you could probably make it work. The one for the vendor OCNY posted does natively support keeping the XM.

I've been communicating with the vendor of mine quite a bit, and asked him about the XM, and he stated that he might have a board that works, so I'm just waiting to hear back.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Still putting together the How-To, but I wanted to show just a little of the functionality so I took a few videos. I apologize for the vertical orientation, but all I had to work with was an iPad. Also, the scrolling bars on the screen is an effect of the refresh of the camera, and you cannot normally see that. Also, I just put a 'glass' screen protector on the PCM, so it's a bit reflective in the video. I have yet to drive around in bright sunlight, so we'll see how that works out.

Music (Navigation and Accessing Factory Settings) - Watch your volume!

Receiving a Text and Reading it (you'll notice the notification won't accept a touch, but the app icon will. Not sure if that's a bug. Never used CarPlay before, so not sure how it should function)

Siri Navigation (I don't have the voice control button from the factory, but I can initiate Siri with "Hey Siri" like here, or I can touch and hold the home button on the screen or on my iPhone, or I can push the PHONE button on the PCM)

Just Some Random Stuff (Several minutes just going through the apps, switching between the factory system and CarPlay, and showing that the swipe-to-scroll kinda works, but luckily the right-hand **** scrolls through long lists)

I've got a cable on order from China to see if it will allow me to use the factory USB port in the center console, but it may be a few more weeks, so I'm going to do the write-up without it, and then update it if the new cable works-out. Hopefully I'll have something ready to post this week.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Thank you fellas for your updates. I have been in contact with Nick Marquis over the weekend. Very nice guy and he send me along the comprehensive instruction PDF. Also he mentioned they have a service (I don't know how much downtime it would require) that allows you to package, ship and send your PCM to him and they will do all the internal work and ship it back. I didn't get a price from Nick but if that is the reason you are on the fence in regards to purchasing this it is a nice option.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:00 PM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Maybe I missed it in one of these posts but does this require the phone to be plugged in or does it work via Bluetooth? Most CarPlay systems only work via cable. Bluetooth would be great!

Old 03-31-2018, 03:39 PM
It uses a cable.. But I'm actually glad it does, as I was surprised just how good it sounds relative to the Bluetooth connection. I've actually had this car for nearly 2 years, and this was the first time I've run something through AUX. The sound is really great, so I am definitely going to continue to use it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since BT is really a horrible connection for fidelity, but I guess I wasn't expecting such a difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ApplePlay Addon?