Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

ApplePlay Addon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 09:52 AM
marinerbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Great information thank you

I will email Nick as such to ask about the forum group price and the turn around service time frame ,
it will be great if is reasonable .
will post an update once I do receive a reply from Nick.

Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
Thank you fellas for your updates. I have been in contact with Nick Marquis over the weekend. Very nice guy and he send me along the comprehensive instruction PDF. Also he mentioned they have a service (I don't know how much downtime it would require) that allows you to package, ship and send your PCM to him and they will do all the internal work and ship it back. I didn't get a price from Nick but if that is the reason you are on the fence in regards to purchasing this it is a nice option.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Just got a reply from Nick , also asked his permission to post it here
the one thing that keeps me on the fence is the potential shipping damage.
So I asked Nick if I can share the 44 pages exhaustive instructions with a prospective installer. And touched base with the best of such here in Vancouver /BC.

So here is Nick’s reply
“ We charge 2 hours labour, so 160GBP (circa 231USD) exclusive of shipping for the internal PCM sub-board install. We bench test the PCM on arrival, fit the internal PCM CarPlay board and then re-bench test the PCM and the other Carplay components before returning. Generally, we’d return the PCM the next day after arrival, so the majority of the timeframe will be shipping. (Please note at the moment I’m on vacation until the 8th of May)

I’ve attached the full installation guide for the Cayenne (we also have Macan, 911/Boxster/Cayman notes as well).

For additional reference, we add the following to the base manufacturer package:
Upgraded Parrot microphone
Stand-off studs to allow Sirius XM to be maintained
USB adapter to allow the use of the centre console USB for CarPlay, if required.

We should be the same price (perhaps slightly less than) than a direct order from the manufacturer and I’d like to think our service is significantly better and more Porsche focused.

Also, I saw queries regarding a group buy discount, we can discount 10% for group buys of 5 and above. Normal non-discounted price is 660USD for the ‘full’ package inclusive of 1 – 3 above, and 585 USD for the basic manufacturers package; both prices inclusive of shipping.

Any queries please just let me know, always happy to try and help. “

Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 PM
MayorMcCheese is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m in. - As long as I can disconnect my head unit and have no issues detaching it from the center console I’m in for full service.. count me in as a guanreteed buyer

Old 04-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Great , i can not upload the installation/removal file received from Nick. as it is over 12 MB , so i will have it in a shared dropbox folder here :-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fjgsriauu8ub6h2/AABPfiH3mNVpBANaNB_uTuL0a?dl=0

i find it very helpful and hope it will make it easier for us to remove the PCM.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-17-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: can not upload file as it is larger than 5MB
Old 04-30-2018, 11:51 AM
John212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone, I'm very interested as well. I tried to send a private note to dollarlongnecks to ask if he's still going to post a tutorial or whether the adapter to the center console USB works (and how to buy it). I'd also be curious about this new kit: so it's $660 - 10% = $600, Plus $160GBP for the "white glove service" where they install the board, and then roundtrip shipping to the UK? So about $820 after discount, plus shipping costs? Maybe $900 all in? And then do we feel it's easy to route the microphone ourselves or is that going to be an additional install cost?

Trying to compare and contrast the two options (Nick's and the China kit that dollarlongnecks bought)
Is the consensus that the Chinese kit on Aliexpress is more or less the same system for $360 including shipping and the sacrifices compared to Nick's kit are: 1) you don't get good documentation 2) you can't preserve Sirius XM 3) you would need to buy your own microphone and use a USB cord instead of the center console?

Old 04-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Hi All

I think the price Nick provided is all in as the unit on their website is 425 BP and from the email the installation is 160 BP total of 585 BP = about $ 660 minus 10% = about $600 plus shipping

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

Last edited by marinerbc; 04-30-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added website link
Old 04-30-2018, 06:47 PM
when is the money needed for this? I guess when we have 5 confirmed buyers?

Kind of want this done soon

Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
when is the money needed for this? I guess when we have 5 confirmed buyers?

Kind of want this done soon
i hear you , me too
thinking about paying the $660 and hope to get the 10% later on when 5 units from this forum get their unit done ,
just need the courage now to remove the PCM this weekend .....!

Last edited by marinerbc; 04-30-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Can someone confirm cost after discount and a shipping amount? I’m in zip code 15216. I think I am in as well if I can remove PCM.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
Can someone confirm cost after discount and a shipping amount? I’m in zip code 15216. I think I am in as well if I can remove PCM.

good idea , just emailed Nick to confirm the US $ 660 plus shipping . Will post as soon as I hear back from him.

the shipping is a bit tricky as the PCM will be back with additional parts that this far I do not know the dimension of such . What I am planning to do is to ship the PCM via FedEx one way . ask Nick to either ship everything together or tell me the package specifics then I would be able to creat a return waybill label for him to use.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Hello all ,

Just got this from Nick , I was wrong

” For clarity:

1. The price of the unit and everything you need is 660USD (minus the 10% discount) inclusive of shipping to the US. For you or an installer to fully install. I.e. Installation of the internal PCM board and the external unit as per the installation guide.
  2. If you’d like us to install the internal PCM board the cost is an additional 231USD EXCLUSIVE of shipping. But if you want to take this option I’m sure we can factor the included shipping in (1) to reduce the shipping charge. “. On another note it looks like I can not find in the online manual the location of the PCM fuse , I am away from the hard copy but I would assume it will be the same as the one online mine is 2016 Turbo , only reference that I can find is in the right fuse box location 51 and that for (Japan) ?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:28 AM
John212 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am strongly considering buying the one from China - it's $360 including shipping, and from what we've read above it appears to be substantially identical to Nick's kit. I know it's scary to open the PCM yourself, but the instructions from NIck I believe would follow the China kit, and the China kit has a video of the whole process. Funny enough, I'm more nervous about running a USB cable and the microphone to the steering wheel than the PCM part. I just don't know how to take apart those pieces of trim. I'm also fine losing the Sirius XM - - I have had Carplay for the past 3 years in prior vehicles and once you can play music / podcasts from your phone (which can also be downloaded offline if you drive in areas with no cell service), I think back and never once wished that I had access to some uncontrollable radio service.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that dollarlongnecks comes back with a full tutorial

Old 05-01-2018, 05:59 PM

Looks pretty easy to take off.. the vents are the main issue but once thats cleared looks easy enough

Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 PM
Just a few connections in the back lol!

Old 05-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by John212
I am strongly considering buying the one from China - it's $360 including shipping,
Where do you find the $360.00 link?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ApplePlay Addon?