Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

ApplePlay Addon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:14 PM
twcv is an unknown quantity at this point
I am getting ready to order my kit from Lsailt in china and was hoping to get a couple questions answered before I do.
Does this connect to the USB Aux port in the center console? If so does it do so from the head unit or do you need to run a new cable from the interface to the center console?
Do you need to install the mic that I see in the kit or did you just use the phone as your Siri mic?
Do I need to buy any trim kit tools? I see they are only $10 on amazon but just curious before I waste any money on more tools. I have to many that I have only used once. Lol.

Thank you in advance for the answers. Hope to order this on Monday and get stared.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Christobol is an unknown quantity at this point
I know someone asked but I didn't see an answer, the navigation window next to the Tachometer, does it work with the Car Play? I would guess that it doesn't but would be great if it did.

Also, I'm picking my 2014 CD in a couple of weeks. It has the Bose stereo, and found a stereo comparison chart that has me confused. Does the Bose version have the PCM3.1 that everyone is talking about? Sorry for getting off topic.

Last edited by Christobol; 06-22-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I just installed one of these kits on my ‘11 CTT. So maybe I can answer some of these questions. I’m in no way an expert on this yet and mine still has some quirks.

I also just had a 2018 Loaner from the Porsche dealer while they did my cam bolts. So I can comment on some of the factory functionality va the aftermarket version.

You need to add the microphone if you want to want to use Siri. I haven’t installed my mic yet and phone functions still work through the PCM even if you initiate the call from CarPlay.

The input for the unit is it’s own USB female plug. It doesn’t match up to the console. I’m not sure which of the plugs on the back of the PCM is the USB from the console. It doesn’t have a USB end at the PCM.

I just dropped my iPhone cord out of the dash next to the console. Much easier to use than in the console.

The map map in the dash cluster is not shared with the map as Apple Maps when using NAV. This is the way it works in the new Porsche’s with factory CarPlay too. I’ll add a picture here from the Macan. You can see that the dash screen has Apple maps running with Nav and the cluster screen is still the PCM nav.

I found the easiest way to remove the dash vents was with 2 sets of chop sticks. All you need after that is a torx bit.

This is the dash of a 2018 Mecan with Apple CarPlay. Notice the PCM map is Apple maps with nav running and the gauge cluster map is still the PCM without any nav running.

CarPlay in 2011 CTT (with Burmester FWIW)

Chopsticks work perfectly for pulling the vent springs out all at once to remove the vents easily.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:32 AM
marinerbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
All done

were you be able to use the factory USB port in the arm rest, i am in the middle of the install but had a problem with the ribbons to the screen though,
Thanks

Old 07-28-2018, 08:07 PM
infinitest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by John212
Hey guys quick update! I installed my China kit last night... it took me about 4 hours and at times it was very perilous. I got the whole thing plugged back in after playing around with the guts of the radio... turn on the car... the PCM won't turn on at all, completely dead. I thought for sure that I had destroyed it. I took it out, and did the whole process again of opening it up and re-doing all the cables I had installed... get it back into the car, and it works! And even the carplay works. Except there is no sound. It took me an hour to figure out that there are fiber optics cables that need to be moved from one wiring harness to another. Now the radio worked but the carplay had no sound. Eventually found a solution to that as well. Anyway, eventually got it all working, managed to get it to all fit into the same dashboard cavity, ran the cables cleanly and... seems like it's all working now! So, it wasn't easy particularly without having any instructions at all, and my stress level was extremely high at times when I thought I'd ruined the whole thing and had wished that I had sent the radio to Nick in the UK. But... for $360 I guess in retrospect I'm happy.

BTW: as noted in the other threads, I couldn't find a way to keep the Sirius XM with this kit. I keep songs downloaded on both spotify and soundcloud, so I personally don't care. I'm also not sure if my bluetooth works anymore. However, one of the tips from Nick was: you should disable your bluetooth anyway because the phone can only connect to one or the other. All the reverse cam, parking aids, etc seem to work fine!
How?! Do you have any pictures? I'm struggling with this step.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:47 AM
hotrod2448 is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone figured out what size standoffs are required to mount the car play board and keep the Sat radio card? I believe they are 20mm tall but, does anyone know the thread size and if they are male-female or female-female? I'm sure I can figure it out once it's apart but, I'd rather not have the thing down for a few days waiting for standoffs to arrive from somewhere like Newark or Mouser. If not for as cheap as they are I might just order an array of sizes/ styles.

Is Lsailt still the preferred unit to get?

Last edited by hotrod2448; 08-10-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:25 AM
element is on a distinguished road
Im thinking of doing this as well.. We have the sat feature but never use - the documentation says 20mm, just don't know the type of thread - amazon sells lots of kits for ~$20. for mounting the carplay box is it easy to jam behind the PCM? Ill also buy a roll of felt vibration tape and tape everything really nice so there are no rattles.

Great thread! and i really like carplay for how much easier it is to navigate - getting the addresses which are already all setup in my phone vs fighting the PCM to find it.

phil. 2015 Cayenne S

Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I installed mine on a day when I had about an hour free instead of 3-4.

So ended up just “cramming” everything behind the dash to make a drivable car with the intent on revisiting it in a few days.

That was about 2-3 months ago now.

Originally Posted by element
Im thinking of doing this as well.. We have the sat feature but never use - the documentation says 20mm, just don't know the type of thread - amazon sells lots of kits for ~$20. for mounting the carplay box is it easy to jam behind the PCM? Ill also buy a roll of felt vibration tape and tape everything really nice so there are no rattles.

Great thread! and i really like carplay for how much easier it is to navigate - getting the addresses which are already all setup in my phone vs fighting the PCM to find it.

phil. 2015 Cayenne S

Old 09-03-2018, 10:08 AM
MayorMcCheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally speaking... Apple Car play is absolute garbage to own.. my steering wheel controls dont work but i cnt view texts on the screen everything has to be spoken too siri or read over the speakers I hate it.

So I am onto my next project.

stay tuned

Old 09-12-2018, 10:48 AM
MayorMcCheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Happy camper right here

Works fantastic, has Chrome, YouTube, I lost XM radio but I just downloaded the app In Google Play Store so no issue at all.

Built in WiFi and Apple CarPlay built in

Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM
jbassman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey MayerMcCheese
going to share what you did?
i just got the Apple CarPlay add-on and will be installing soon. Will post my findings after it is done.

Happy camper right here

Works fantastic, has Chrome, YouTube, I lost XM radio but I just downloaded the app In Google Play Store so no issue at all.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Happy camper right here

Why would I want Chrome or YouTube driving?

Old 10-28-2018, 10:05 AM
element is on a distinguished road
Mine is all installed.. I had the PCM + XM Radio and needed additional 25mm x2.5 risers and everything fits in (its tight, but fits no problem putting the DVD player back on). I put the box under the glove box since it was too tight behind the PCM. After pulling everything apart 4x im really quick at the process now!

Aux level is still lower than the radio, so looking for a fix to that so switching between is the same.

Phil.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:58 AM
Max Bezougly is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello guys,
Just joined the forum
Do you think Nick will gimme same discounts ?
Just wondering,
How is your experience with Nick PCM conversion ?
Thanks a lot

MAX

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-17-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 PM
2012cayenne is on a distinguished road
New York professional installation?

Has anyone had either of these add-on’s installed by a professional installer in NY? Would love to get the model that supports wireless bluetooth connectivity and preserves native SiriusXM... wishful thinking?

Last edited by 2012cayenne; 07-25-2019 at 06:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ApplePlay Addon?