Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne, Touarag, or ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
Cayenne, Touarag, or ML

I want to get my wife out of our old Yukon XL and into something newer, we dont need the extra seats any longer, and I don't tow the race car very far any more. I was looking at the posts and the V8 Cayenne seems to be a problem, would the V6 be ok to pull 5000 lbs? I also like the VW, does it use the same V8 as the Cayenne? I have had MB sedans for years and have always been satisfied with their reliability but I have also heard that the ML is not their best effort.
I would be looking for a used model, is there a year that is best to stay away from?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 AM
B_P
B_P is on a distinguished road
My wife loves our ML, it's a very plush ride compared to the Cayenne, but because of the soft ride it floats around when your doing 80-90mph on the highway, but other than that it's one of the best, most reliable, well built cars we have owned. Stay away from the 06 it was the first year of that body style. You can pick up an 09 or 10 for a steal now. She will love the ML we dumped the Escalade for it and haven't been happier.

Can't speak for the touareg or the V6 cayenne. Good luck with the search.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
i'm kind of in the same spot, but looking for something to tow the track car. Wife currently has an '05 ML500 but only 5,000 towing capacity. would prefer something newer with more capacity and creature comforts.

what is the problem with the V8 cayenne? Would consider the new ML 350 blutec, but i know there is a delay on the bi-xenon light package which I would want. Might also consider the GL 350 blutec as they seem to be discounting pretty heavily on those. I believe there is a new GL coming end of '12.

Haven't really thought about the touareg but I know they were pretty bad when they first came out.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
i just replaced an 03 ml500 with a 2012 cayenne v6. the new porsche makes more power than the v8 benz and it tows 7500lbs. the new cayenne is awesome, if you can get a hold of one to drive you will surely buy it !!!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
I am looking for used, since the wife does not care about cars, and she takes care of it like crap anyway.

The early V8 Porsches had plastic cooling pipes in the engine V, they leak and need to be replaced with metal ones that newer models have. Leaks cause many problems down the road, very expensive repairs. Just search the forum.

The diesel would be ideal, 5000 lbs is alot of weight. My open steel trailer weighs 1400 lbs with a box and tire rack. My spec Miata weighs around 2500 so it's well below that.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
CayenneS12 is on a distinguished road
I'd go with the VW or MB if you're looking for things at a cost perspective. I've always had MB, and have always been VERY satisfied. Just picked up a 12 Cayenne S. Amazing Vehicle!

Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 AM
flyjets is on a distinguished road
I was a Mercedes Guy had a SL55 and ML320 both gone now.

My ML was a piece of junk broke constantly and was a poor ride compared to my Porsche Cayenne.

The Cayenne has vastly higher tow capacity and Air ride in mine I have never looked back.

Ian

Old 02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
V10
V10 will become famous soon enough
Ultimate used vehicle towing machine is the Touareg V10 - tow at any altitude with power as if at sea level and much better fuel economy than most of the Cayenne stablemates. 2008 was the last year they made such but there are some good ones out there, just make sure you purchase a good extended warranty. I've owned a 2004 V10 and now a 2007 V10 in addition to my 2005 Cayenne TT.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Cayenne A4 GTS is on a distinguished road
Cayenne for luxury and performance

The V6 engine for Porsche is actually the VW engine, same as the Toureg. The V8 in the Cayenne is Porsche designed and the Toureg actually shares the Porsche designed engine in the V8 model. Toureg will cost less, no doubt. However, it will not have as much luxury and will not have the same performance on the road. The ML is an alright vehicle as well. You can probably get the Toureg for the cheapest, then the ML then the Cayenne. What are you looking to spend. 2008 Cayenne S is selling for around 35-37k with 30-50k for mileage. You can get a V6 ML 2008 with the same mileage for about 10k less. But the true comparison is if you are getting a V6 or V8 on any three of these cars. A V6 ML is not going to compare to a V8 VW or Porsche. It will not tow as much or perform as well. Same goes for a V6 VW engine compared to the V8 ML engine.

When the Toureg and Cayenne first came out back in 03, there were some engine problems. And the first generation engine does have plastic pipes that are known to break around 70k in miles and cost 1-1.5k to fix. It is usually covered under warranty and doesn't always happen with these trucks.

Biased, but Cayenne V8 all day in my book. Toureg V8 if you want a more cost effective ride.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 AM
V10
V10 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Cayenne A4 GTS
...Toureg will cost less, no doubt. However, it will not have as much luxury and will not have the same performance on the road. ...

Having owned 2 Touareg V10's I'd say the luxury is more in the Touareg as they have most options as standard which are mostly ala carte for the Porsche. Comparing the Tourareg V10 to the V8 isn't really much of a comparison since the V10 is a diesel with 553 ft lbs torque out of the box with great towing ability. As previously stated you barely notice your towing with the V10 as the minimal decrease in performance is overcome with the gobs of torque available. V10 could be overkill for those towing a small light setup but still a very strong contender as far a price/value/feature... and will be better in fuel economy regardless than any of the V8's.

The Cayenne V6 diesel would be a decent alternative if you looking for towing and fuel economy while still driving the Porsche logo if that's important to you.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 AM
nycgenius will become famous soon enough
Agree with Cayenne A4 GTS, may be biased on this but Cayenne all day! My Touareg's V6 transmission went at 80k miles among many other issues, luckily I have an extended warranty to cover them. My cousin spends at least one weekend a month at the mechanic shop with his ML, and my '06 CS gets beaten up everyday and I have no complaints! As stated before, the Cayenne V6 has the same engine as the Touareg so if you're looking out for price and not badge, the Touareg would be my choice. Good luck!!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM
dajadeturtle is on a distinguished road
Cayenne all day every day, especially if you get on it regularly... I have owned mine since day one, and can't complain about anything but city mpg... Somewheres around 8 when I drive, the other half can squeeze maybe 12.... On highway 18-22 I have squeezed on runs from NYC to Toronto... Yes my pipes went and my buddy took care of it for me, and I have bought a few sets of tires, and brake pads, rotors, wiper blades... Knock on wood she has been great and a daily driver near 100k I'm sure by now I stopped looking religiously once warranty expired. Just change oil every 3-4 months, 5w40 and thats it....

The Toureag is really much prettier inside especially the tdi V10, but a little less sporty in the twists, maybe 20's might have helped, The Merc every one my moms friend has owned spends at least 3days every few months for some crap at the dealer, been trying for last 6 years to sway her but it doesn't work she loves her benz's.....

Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 AM
zer0t has a spectacular aura aboutzer0t has a spectacular aura about
Get a Benz bluetec or a Touareg TDI. I have a Touareg V10 TDI and I love it.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
mikijoe1 is on a distinguished road
Buy a Cayenne facelift V8 (from late 2007) there is no problem with it, and it's the best compared to touareg or ML

Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
FYI, I have a 2010 Touareg TDI and came from a 2004 Cayenne Turbo... unfortunately I suffered from the coolant pipe issue on the Cayenne so I traded it for the Touareg. Both at similar size and weight and the interiors are both nice. One thing that has not been mentioned is that the Touareg can be outfitted with Cayenne parts, in particular I ended up putting Cayenne GTS swaybars on my Touareg and the handling is much improved. I would say it is similar to the Cayenne now. However, I get mid 20's MPG in town and mid 30's on the freeway with 406lbft of Torque!

David

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne, Touarag, or ML