2008 cayenne headlight ballast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM
reyoasian is on a distinguished road
2008 cayenne headlight ballast

Hi there,

I have a 2008 Porsche Cayenne (Canada spec), and recently my driver side headlight has been very unstable. I took it to the dealership, and they told me I need to replace this part at $600/unit + tax (they recommended me to change passenger side too):
IGNITION CONTROL UNIT ( PART #: 955-631-194-03)

My questions:
1) Is the OEM Porsche xenon ballast made by Valeo? I found 2 models from Valeo below, but I'm not entirely sure which one to be using, the 4pin or the 12pin
- Valeo LAD5G (12pin)
- Valeo LAD5GL (4pin)

2) Is there any other reputable "aftermarket" brand to substitute the D1S xenon ballast in the Cayenne?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:38 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Check Ebay, I just bought a used one for my 997tt for $50 off ebay. It was off a Cadillac. As long as you match up the # of pins you are good. Many different car manufactures relabel the Valeo unit. The ones with a Porsche sticker are usually the most expensive

You can also buy the cheaper $20 ones on Ebay but they require re-wiring and who knows how long they will last, most are made in China.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Check Ebay, I just bought a used one for my 997tt for $50 off ebay. It was off a Cadillac. As long as you match up the # of pins you are good. Many different car manufactures relabel the Valeo unit. The ones with a Porsche sticker are usually the most expensive

You can also buy the cheaper $20 ones on Ebay but they require re-wiring and who knows how long they will last, most are made in China.
How would I know how many pins I have? The 2 Valeo ones I found are 4 or 12 pin...

Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
listen well young jedi. i have traveled this frustrating and costly road before you. the ballasts used by porsche are faulty and weak, DO NOT buy used ones
replace both the light bulbs and both ballasts at the same time. get them here.http://hidconcept.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=15 after you put your new lighting setup in the dealer will have to level out the lights with the pwies system. or you could ignore me and have a world of fun chasing down all kinds of problems costing all kinds of cash. and yes these ballasts do control the motors in the headlights.

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Hi there,

I have a 2008 Porsche Cayenne (Canada spec), and recently my driver side headlight has been very unstable. I took it to the dealership, and they told me I need to replace this part at $600/unit + tax (they recommended me to change passenger side too):
IGNITION CONTROL UNIT ( PART #: 955-631-194-03)

My questions:
1) Is the OEM Porsche xenon ballast made by Valeo? I found 2 models from Valeo below, but I'm not entirely sure which one to be using, the 4pin or the 12pin
- Valeo LAD5G (12pin)
- Valeo LAD5GL (4pin)

2) Is there any other reputable "aftermarket" brand to substitute the D1S xenon ballast in the Cayenne?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM
^, thanks I see the Valeo one I need however it comes both 5G and 5GL, I assume that's the difference of 4pin vs 12pin...which one would I need for a 2008 cayenne?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by reyoasian
^, thanks I see the Valeo one I need however it comes both 5G and 5GL, I assume that's the difference of 4pin vs 12pin...which one would I need for a 2008 cayenne?
Just curious.. Have you thought of looking at yours and counting the number of pins? Sort of Dog helps those who help themselves.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
cyborg is on a distinguished road
Hi Reyoasian,

Did you manage to sort out your control unit, I seem to having a similar issue and irs not the bulb?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:58 AM
xiaohanzhu is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Cuemaster
The link you sent was an aftermarket headlight control unit for 2003 to 2007 Cayennes. Just want to confirm with you that the aftermarket control units could be programed by the dealer with the PIWIS tester. One of my08 Cayenne's Control Unit was dead. I am trying to figure out if I should buy one used control unit (maybe slightly different higher SW version in the control unit) from another Cayenne or get two aftermarket units from a German website.
Thank you so much

Originally Posted by cuemaster
listen well young jedi. i have traveled this frustrating and costly road before you. the ballasts used by porsche are faulty and weak, DO NOT buy used ones
replace both the light bulbs and both ballasts at the same time. get them here.http://hidconcept.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=15 after you put your new lighting setup in the dealer will have to level out the lights with the pwies system. or you could ignore me and have a world of fun chasing down all kinds of problems costing all kinds of cash. and yes these ballasts do control the motors in the headlights.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 AM
txhokie4life is infamous around these parts
Any updates?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:53 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Looking at specific replacement parts from reputable sources it would appear it needs the 12 pin version like seen here... http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ELLITE_pg4.htm

So $199 each at the link cuemaster provided or $162 from Pelican. I know which one I'd be buying.

Last edited by jdubbya; 04-04-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:57 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just curious.. Have you thought of looking at yours and counting the number of pins? Sort of Dog helps those who help themselves.

Kind of a pain in the *** to pull the whole thing apart to look at it before ordering. I just looked on another parts place and found a picture. I won't guarantee it's correct but I'd be willing to put a little money on it.