Cayenne
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth it to upgrade PCM to have apple CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 05:32 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Heard of wireless Apple Car Play yet? It's out...

Originally Posted by function12
You do understand the phone MUST be plugged into the USB port for car play to work. That is a big drawback for me.
Android Auto and Apple Car play both have a wireless option now. The deck must support it is all.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:38 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Here is another possible option that will allow you to keep all the factory components, but add Apple CarPlay. I haven't used it personally, but I hear it works just fine.
https://www.navtool.com/porsche-caye...-category.aspx

Anyone use this yet?

Last edited by BOOSTTT; 09-14-2022 at 05:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
Old 09-15-2022, 11:43 PM
ImHereLive957 is an unknown quantity at this point
I do wonder how hard it would be, and how much it would cost to try and upgrade my 2011 Cayenne's PCM 3.1 to the PCM 4.0 I believe? That's the more modern PCM right? And it comes with CarPlay / Android Auto already?

I've already been down the GTA-Car-Kit road, which is simply just another version of the cheap Chinese rebranded module that you have to loop in with new ribbon cables inside the PCM after you take it apart. It was a costly $500+, didn't work, and took over a month to get my money back when I returned it back to Canada from the US. I've been searching for an alternative solution ever since. Aftermarket head unit route would end up costing well over $2000 after the unit itself, adapter installation kit, professional installation etc etc. I looked into the "Isudar" module which is very similar to the GTA Car Kit crap with one less component and arguably more simple... but the thread for that discussion over on Reenlist for example is going to set a record for the longest running thread ever IMHO lol... lots of folks love it, lots of other folks have all kinds of issues with it i.e. backup camera malfunctioning, generally slow responsiveness and occasional complete and utter overall malfunction... So that's not something I want either. I just really want Android Auto because once you've used it, it's hard to go back to anything else lol.

I could ask the local stealership how much they'd charge to put the PCM 4.0 in my 958.1, but it would probably cost a fortune and that's if they'd even agree to do it anyway. Probably cheaper for the aftermarket head unit at that point. I don't know. Will stay tuned on this thread and all others like it.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:23 PM
Every single car I have personally called my own has had always had a full aftermarket stereo system install. If something is too integrated into the vehicle, I just find something else. I can't help it. I love my music and it has to sound right. One of the most enjoyable things about a leisurely drive is having sweet tunes. I've come across a few cars that I knew would just be too much to try and deal with. I just avoid those.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:26 AM
ImHereLive957 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
Every single car I have personally called my own has had always had a full aftermarket stereo system install. If something is too integrated into the vehicle, I just find something else. I can't help it. I love my music and it has to sound right. One of the most enjoyable things about a leisurely drive is having sweet tunes. I've come across a few cars that I knew would just be too much to try and deal with. I just avoid those.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think my only reservation about doing a complete overhaul, or an entirely new head unit type-of-deal is A) the initial total cost of solid HU, appropriate installation adapter/kit, and pro install and maybe more importantly B) potentially losing access to the vehicle's PCM control interface via the gauge cluster/steering wheel. I may have missed it, but I wonder if anyone who has done this kind of upgrade can comment on whether or not you will still be able to do all the necessary settings and adjustments via that one screen in the gauge cluster that you navigate to/through via the right side toggle on the steering wheel (USA left hand drive lol).