Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

New-Car Prep Detail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
New-Car Prep Detail

Glistening Perfection New-Car Prep

Some of you have inquired about an elaboration of the New-Car Detail that I do. In this segment, we’ll talk about why it’s so important to do this detail, the procedure of the detail, and what to do post detail.

The New-Car Detail was originally incepted when I started to get some current clients that bought new cars and had me come to their home to do the detail. It was apparent, somewhere along the line, the paint on the new cars I was getting should not have had swirls, scratches, and hologramming. Once we backtracked a bit, I realized this was being done when the dealers prepped the cars prior to the client taking delivery. My assumption was confirmed after watching cars being prepped at various dealerships here locally.

Most dealerships need and want to get the “unit” out the door. I say unit, because no matter how much you’ve spent on this new car, it’s a unit in the eye of the dealer. To us enthusiasts, it’s a “car” and at this level, it should be treated with some dignity. Often times, a car arrives at the dealer, it’s stripped of all plastic and protective films, washed by the porter, and waxed using hand or machine to shine it up for the client. Most people don’t ever notice the small details such as paint swirls, scratches, and imperfections in the paint because of the emotional high of finally getting the car you been waiting for. The client just wants to sign the papers, shake the salesman’s hand, and drive. It’s on the weekend when it comes time to wash the car, the way the sun shines on the hood when coming out of the office one afternoon, or when a obsessive compulsive detailer point out these flaws, that you realize the extent of the damage done to your car’s paint from one wash alone at the dealer.

So I decided to offer a service that would keep the car in pristine condition, just as it left the factory, until you take delivery. This service would step in right after the car had been delivered and the dealer did their technical pre-delivery inspection, PDI. New-Car Detail would have me be the first to take all the plastic off the seats, remove stickers from windows, remove plastic wrap from the paint, etc. Your car would be cared for in a manner that respected this new acquisition, with assurance that YOUR best interest was in mind. After all, you are the one paying for this service, not the dealer.

Below is a recent New-Car Prep on a 2008 BMW M5. This M5 was delivered the night before my arrival. I thank my client’s salesman Tom Bourland of New Century BMW in Alhambra for his hospitality. Everyone at New Century BMW was kind, helpful, and made me at home. It was a true pleasure to work with them.

Initial Condition

All plastic film and wrapping is removed (15 min)

Old 12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The car gets a thorough wash (35 min)

The paint is decontaminated and prepped using clay (30 min)

Before

After

Even though this car is weeks old, you can see the extent of the pollution accumulated on the sea as a result of being shipped from Germany.

The car is then rinsed using de-ionized water and dried using forced air blower (15 min)

The condition of the paint is examined and the proper action is planned (5 min)

The paint is hand-polished using a gentle, all-natural, and SAFE paint cleanser to condition and prep the surface for wax (45 min)

Before hand polishing

After hand polishing. You can see the clarity and depth of the paint.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 12-13-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Sponsor
The paint is then waxed using an all-natural, Brazilian white carnauba-based wax. Zymöl Destiny ($500 /jar) was massaged by hand into the paint in this particular detail level (45 min)

Zymöl Destiny is massaged into the paint with bare hands. This is because of the high-concentration of pure white carnauba that needs to be further melted. I can also feel the paint to make sure I've properly removed ALL contaminants in the finish.

The tires, wheels, and wheel well are cleaned, conditioned, and protected (40 min)

The exterior glass is cleaned, conditioned, and protected (30 min)

Last edited by MoeMistry; 12-13-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Premium Sponsor
The interior is vacuumed and cleaned to remove fingerprints, dirt, and adhesives (30 min)

The various leather, vinyl, aluminum, etc. surfaces are conditioned using the proper products (120 min)

Floormats are now installed

Last edited by MoeMistry; 12-13-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Sponsor
Interior glass is cleaned and conditioned (20 min)

Final inspect vehicle for quality control (10 min)

All the proper documentation is retained for resale

Finally...The way a new car should be delivered. The interior has a soft and silky look. And most important of all, since the products used are all-natural, there is no synthetic scent. This means we've retained the new-car scent we all love.

Happy clients and salesman

In recap, almost 7.5 hours went into this new M5. Some may say this is too much work, a new car doesn’t need this attention, or this is over the top. To these critics I can only say that there has never been a time in man’s history that a typical high-end luxury, sport, or exotic car has cost more than a home. Starting on the right foot and maintaining this level of care is just another aspect of ownership. I feel we’re never the true owner of a car. Cars will typically outlive us and be passed down generation to generation. You are the current caretaker of a new BMW, Ferrai, Bugatti, or Lamorghini, etc. It’s your responsibility to make sure the time, effort, and passion that went into making these cars is reflected in how you carry the torch. Properly detailing the car through its life is simply the best investment in assuring you get top-dollar when it comes time to sell the car and move on to the next purchase.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 12-13-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:08 AM
CondorCGT is on a distinguished road
Moe thanks for the post this should help a lot . Could you post how much wax you should apply as some would use a small amount and some can go to extreme in applying the amount required .
I am sure a lot here have had bugs on there windscreen and the front of there cars what is the best way to clean bugs or flies

Old 12-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Grouse is on a distinguished road
Excellent write up moe. out of the many new car preps i do i have yet to have one that did not require less than 6 hours of work. Most ranging from 8-12. The most recent a g37 was about 18 hours. Much of that was issues with the slip solution they used for the plastic wrap.

So many detailers do a wash, wax and pull wrap very few get the car to a point where it truly is wash and vacuum maintenance.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Grouse
Excellent write up moe. out of the many new car preps i do i have yet to have one that did not require less than 6 hours of work. Most ranging from 8-12. The most recent a g37 was about 18 hours. Much of that was issues with the slip solution they used for the plastic wrap.

So many detailers do a wash, wax and pull wrap very few get the car to a point where it truly is wash and vacuum maintenance.
It's amazing to me what goes on back in the wash bays when new cars are being prepped. Keep up the good work and educate clients one at a time.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned
duc749r is on a distinguished road
I'm curious how much does a detail like that cost? I'm thinking of contacting someone in the Bay Area to detail my girlfriends fathers DB9 Volante for a Christmas gift.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Grouse is on a distinguished road
Duc749r

I can't speak for moe's cost. But i can for my own. New car prep is only if i do the car as new. Ie the first to touch it, remove plastic, tape, etc. If the car has been prepped by anyone else I don't consider it a new car prep. The reason for this is i have more often than not been burned by a dealer new car prep. i end up having to explain to the customer that what the car needs is not a new car prep, but a full comprehensive detail. Their response is usually, "but it is a new car." It is far easier for me and the customer to outline the conditions for a new car prep during the initial conversation, than it is upon seeing the vehicle.

8-10 hours would run about 400-500 depending on the type of vehicle, fabrics, paint correction and condition it was delivered in.

If I think it takes more than 8-10 hours i simply move it into my normal detail categories. This tends to be a more comprehensive from the ground up detail. ranging from 10-12 -18-24 man hours, some times over 30 for special considerations.
With that time frame i start usually around 700 and move up.

For what moe did in his post i would expect it to be compensated 300+ I don't know if he did any paint correction by rotary. If so i would expect at least 500 or more.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by duc749r
I'm curious how much does a detail like that cost? I'm thinking of contacting someone in the Bay Area to detail my girlfriends fathers DB9 Volante for a Christmas gift.
PM sent. This level of detail will vary based on detailer and level of work. You have a great detailer up where you are, Bob Willis. Be very careful who touches the Aston. The paint is VERY thin and soft. Lots of potentioal for things to go wrong in the wrong hands.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
ol'school is on a distinguished road
Great post mate.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
Moe please PM me your range of prices for a detail.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 PM
windnsea00 is on a distinguished road
Fantastic job!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
Great work!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New-Car Prep Detail