Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Polished my black car today (warning, Honda content!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The reason why it takes you close to 7-8 hours is because you're achieving a legitimate finish. As mentioned over the phone, Menzerna SIP and Nano contain no filler, silicones, or oils that merely mask the finish. Try wiping down your finish with a 50/50 alcohol solution twice. What is the point of polishing if you're not trying to achieve a near-perfect finish? Most other polished merely hide the imperfections and give you a look that is fooling you. You think you have a finish free from imperfection, when in fact, all you’ve done is fill the imperfection and hide them for a few washes. That to me is so deceptive and a compete waste of time. The da by nature is a tool that generates little to no heat and does not create the friction that a rotary does. This is why you work the polish more to break down the polish.

As for the pads, you can use one and it should last 5-8 times. The reason I had mentioned 2-3 pads is to save you time. 2-3 times during each stage of your routine, you need to either clean and wash your pad or simply switch to another pad. Instead of taking about 20 minutes to properly wash, rinse, and dry a pad, you can simply switch to another pad and move on. This saves you about 40-80 minutes when doing a 2-stage polish. So what's your time worth? To me, another $26, is worth saving 80 minutes off my routine.

As for taping off all the moldings, this is done to not damage them. After 2-3 stages of polishing, you will get a lot of residue underneath the edges of all moldings, rubber trim, clear film, etc. You're basically going to spend the same amount of time cleaning the areas not taped as you would taping them. The difference is that you haven't damaged the trim, film, etc. and not to mention, your pad will take off the oxidation from all the trim making the pad black with residue. You then have contaminated the pad and are polishing the rest of the car with the rubber oxidation.

At the end of the day, it's about attention to detail and doing the job right. This is why it takes time to do a proper detail. As with anything in life, it's always the prep work that make any job a job well done. Hope this answers your questions.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ELMEL
Dude, I see swirls on the surface of diamonds.

Yes, in the proper light, we could absolutely see tons of surface imperfections. We attributed that to the fact that we had no idea what we were doing and we might not have used the optimal products. But I still don't get why it would take 7 hours. Is it because you're working the PC on the same areas for a long time to break down the irregularities?
That's why some diamonds are a few hundred dollars and others in the thousands....quality always demands greater effort and cost.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:35 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Hope this answers your questions.
Totally. You addressed all of my questions, and your answers make complete sense. Thanks Moe!

I have to be honest -- I thought I could get into this half-assed, but now I see that I was smokin' dope. Not in a good way though.

I guess anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by ELMEL
Totally. You addressed all of my questions, and your answers make complete sense. Thanks Moe!

I have to be honest -- I thought I could get into this half-assed, but now I see that I was smokin' dope. Not in a good way though.

I guess anything worth doing is worth doing right.
I know you were trying to cut some corners I wasn't going to let you Remember, the only thing we have in life that cannot be replaced is time. Don't waste it.