Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

The Don't Post Your Work To Gain Exposure Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Pats300zx is on a distinguished road
This thread is freaking unreal and I am totally insulated by your thread on this Moe. I was under the impression that this was a 6Speed Detailing forum and not the Moe Ministry detailing forum. I have total respect for all of the 6Speed Forum Sponsors.

However, have you ever seen me post any information in my details about how to contact me and how much I charge? Do you see a website promoting my business? NO... Do you see me selling products? NO Do you see me soliciting business?? NO

The only reason I posted some of the cars I detailed were because:

1) This is a detailing forum and I listed products and methods used as a benefit to other forum members.

2) They tend to be out of the ordinary cars not seen every day and I thought that other car detailing enthusiasts would like to see them.

Are you going to limit this space to any 6Speed member who wants to post pictures of them detailing their own cars unless they get your approval first??? Are you going to limit them posting their pics unless all of the products used were purchased from you???

Sorry to **** in your detailing sandbox Moe but you are way out of line my friend. FYI...I purchase my detailing products from one of the 6Speed Forum Sponsors. I guarantee you won't be getting any of my business in the future.

You should really come down off of your cloud. The thin air is affecting your judgment.

If the mods on 6Speed request that I not posts pics of any cars that I have detailed I would be more than happy to do that. This is NOT the only forum on 6Speed that I participate in.

Last edited by Pats300zx; 02-08-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
There is a fine line between Sponsor and Remora, and the Remora's tend to be pretty good at keeping their toes right on the edge of the line.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
As I mentioned, members that detail thier own cars know they have always been welcomed and praised. It's great to see DIY detailers care for the cars and show off their hard work. It's when you are compensated for you time as a "detailer" that makes you have a vested interest in showing off these cars. As already proven, the natural instinct of anyone seeing a local detailer post pictures of his/her work is to call the detailer and utilize service when needed.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
paul w. is on a distinguished road
There is no need for me to respond to this thread anymore. I have stated what I did and again sorry if I did any wrong doing. I think detailwerkz, PJB84, Pats300zx, and drh hit the nail on the head. I agree with what they said and if there are certain rules and regulations on this forum about posting pictures that we need to know, then I would appreciate a PM from a senior member to let me know so that this will not happen again. Just to make a note, I really enjoy seeing other peoples work from the products they use, the results they achieve, and especially those exclusive cars that you wont see on the road everyday!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM
auto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to behold
My .02 $

I have been watching this thread and will humbly comment with my take. Moe and Phil pay dearly to be a sponsors here on 6Speed, I was also told by the Admin to change my username because they thought I was promoting my business and the only reason I was not whacked was because Alex from Sharwerks vouched for me.

Self serving spamming is tiresome, but when a client will post thier satisfaction with pics contact info etc.... I feel this is alright, now alot of the guys I see posting in the Detailing section are regulars on " other detailing forums " and trade thoughts on methodology, chemicals and the like ,the reason this forum is different is because it is not a detailing specific forum, just this area is about detailing.

I see both sides of the fence in this matter, the sponsors and the guys who have posted pics etc... now to make things fair Moe before you became a sponsor you posted lots of information about how you did things what chemicals you used and the passion for the trade ( detailing ) remember guys the sponsors are scratching a check every month for at least $350.00 dollars for some people that is a decent car payment , it is a fine line on what to post sometimes.

If you take a guy like Phil@Detailers Domain he is a sponsor on no less than three detailing forums that my friends adds up quick, well that is my take.. moe does have a point so try and see it from his perspective.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 AM
I am sorry but I fail to see how me posting a detail and pics that I put alot of hard work is going to cut into the monthly income of Moe Ministry. If I was selling product and had a link in the post with my website and contact information soliciting details then I could see Moe's point. Is Moe going to request that NO other detailer on this forum provide information to 6 Speed members on proper detail products or techinques?

Is Moe going to complain and go to the site admins if I suggest a product to a member that he does not carry?

Trust me my intention is not to solicit business on this forum. I do this on the side and have been an enthusiast for many years. I frequent this board and many others.

I just find it amazing that someone would feel threatened by someone showing off their hard work and dedication. Are we not all car enthusiasts???

Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pats300zx
I am sorry but I fail to see how me posting a detail and pics that I put alot of hard work is going to cut into the monthly income of Moe Ministry. If I was selling product and had a link in the post with my website and contact information soliciting details then I could see Moe's point. Is Moe going to request that NO other detailer on this forum provide information to 6 Speed members on proper detail products or techinques?

Is Moe going to complain and go to the site admins if I suggest a product to a member that he does not carry?

Trust me my intention is not to solicit business on this forum. I do this on the side and have been an enthusiast for many years. I frequent this board and many others.

I just find it amazing that someone would feel threatened by someone showing off their hard work and dedication. Are we not all car enthusiasts???
Just take a look at your signature and tell me you're not out to solicit.

My 300zx Gallery
My 350Z
My 1967 Chevy II Nova
Owner-Only Z Best Detailing
Automotive Concours Detailing Services

Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Just take a look at your signature and tell me you're not out to solicit.

My 300zx Gallery
My 350Z
My 1967 Chevy II Nova
Owner-Only Z Best Detailing
Automotive Concours Detailing Services
Do you see a phone number or a website ??? If the site admins would like me to remove it from my signature I would be more than happy to do it. As far as arguing with you on this point I am done.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Gentlemen, I gotta say this thread is getting somewhat silly. I became a sponsor only recently even though I have been reading this forum since its inception by my customers. But in those years I have never posted anything about my shop, work, methods or products out of respect to the sponsors as well as the forum. The real-world fact is that a forum is a business and a business takes money to operate. That money comes from sponsors which allows the rest of us to benefit from it for free. Take the sponsors away and the forum goes bye-bye. The only reason anyone sponsors (advertises) is to receive a return on their investment. So when that advertiser sees someone advertising for free (even though it may not be their intention in any way), it should concern them. That's just business 101.

Without taking any sides, as far as a few of you getting your feather ruffled by Moe, you have to realize that he has put in much more than just money into this forum. Even though I only got a chance to talk to him recently, I was always amazed by the fact that here was this sponsor who never posts befor/after pic of his work any does any other posts of self promotion. His posts were to educate and answer questions and basically add "value" to the board. He actually asked me to become a sponsor even though I don't use any of the detailing chemicals he does and would have different views than him. When I asked him why would he want a competitor on the board, his answer was to add informative content to the board for the members. So if it seems that he does take this topic a little personal, maybe this provides a perspective why.

As far as people "not soliciting" business on the board, I ask then why have your company's name on the avatar/signature? If you're just posting as a car/detailing enthusiast, why not just have your name? I think just doing that little bit would do a lot to get the forum back on track. I agree with DetailWerkz (who is the real deal) about being able to post informative threads which document a specific process /technique, just do it as a very talented/knowledgeable individual; not as a company. That my 2 cents. Now can we get back to arguing about carnauba vs. synthetics?

Matt

Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Bri
EE
Bri has a spectacular aura aboutBri has a spectacular aura about
Moe, I cannot believe you even brought this thread up. I am by no means a professional detail, let alone try to promote myself. However, I have posted pics of my detail threads way back before... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15453

So are you saying that I can't even do that?!?! This is a CAR ENTHUSIAST forum!!! We're all here to share the same passion and love for cars!! This includes how we meticulously take care of our vehicles!!! What's wrong with showing off something that you worked hard on and are proud of? I wasn't compensated for it but that doesn't even matter.

Public forums are public for a reason! People can join and share/express their own ideas and opinions as they please. There's nothing wrong with that and I don't think that's against the rules. If there was something that was violated, the moderators are the ones who should have stepped up.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:05 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pats300zx
Do you see a phone number or a website ??? If the site admins would like me to remove it from my signature I would be more than happy to do it. As far as arguing with you on this point I am done.
I'm certainly not taking Moe's side here because I don't totally agree with him but the link of your Nova in your sig takes you to a website detailcity.org

Moe the way I see it is the more contributions we have to this forum the more value that is added. I have been around for a few years now and lurked a little while prior to that. I can honestly say that I don't think these guys are crossing any lines. I think paying for sponsorship here deserves recognition but I think it ultimately allows the party to actively promote their business which none of these gentleman are doing IMO. If someone is going to use your services they'll use them. But as I said initially the more contributions to this forum the more value that is added. More views in this particular subforum gets your work more view which may lead to more business for you. I remember long before you were a sponsor your work was popping up on the forum and we were all eager to find out what you were doing regardless of whether or not you were sponsoring the board. Everyone here is an enthusiast or they used to be and this thread seems to be a perfect example of the shift away from why so many people came to the 6 in the first place. It was an open forum and an endless resource. Just my .02

Last edited by bmoores; 02-08-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
cellg8 is on a distinguished road
How about just no mention of business name in signature & user name for non-sponsors?

I would definitely like to see people's work (pros/non-pros) and what they use / procedures...

Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
pjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these parts
pats300zx:
That Nova in your sig is absolutley BAD ***!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by bmoores
I'm certainly not taking Moe's side here because I don't totally agree with him but the link of your Nova in your sig takes you to a website detailcity.org
You are Correct. However, I have no affliation with that site. It is a detailing board that I am a member of. The site is only used to host the pictures of my car in the Virtual Bulliten garage. As you can see from the other two links my Nissans are hosted on a Z related site.

I feel that limiting folks on posting work they are doing is only going to limit the forum itself and prevent growth. I frequent these boards to see methods, products used, techniques, and end results. It also is an opportunity to see what products work well in combination in different environments and on different types of clearcoats. As I stated. I have purchased from forum sponsors and will continue to do so.

I think we can all see through what posts are being made in an attempt at monetary gain. I agree if the intention is to be done to "shill" particular detailing products or make money then they should be curtailed in respect of forum sponsors.

As Detlng Dynamics stated..shouldn't we get back on track as to what the true purpose of this forum is...."Detailing"..

Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cellg8
How about just no mention of business name in signature & user name for non-sponsors?

I would definitely like to see people's work (pros/non-pros) and what they use / procedures...
Absolutely perfect solution! I agree. Thank you for the common sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Don't Post Your Work To Gain Exposure Thread