Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

The Don't Post Your Work To Gain Exposure Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
I fully support that. Non-sponsors should not put there biz names or links to their biz in their profile.

I do believe the more methods the better/the more pics the better. Pro or enthusiast.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pyiu

I do believe the more methods the better/the more pics the better. Pro or enthusiast.
Bingo!! I think that's really all it boils down too.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
yeeeeee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pyiu
I fully support that. Non-sponsors should not put there biz names or links to their biz in their profile.

Yup.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
this is a very interesting discussion and I do see both sides.

But please excuse my ignorance or naivety but being that you guys are auto detailers...and cover a specific geographic area how can someone else 1000 miles away effect your business?

Again I agree, flat out solicitation and having your business as a SN and in your sig is kind of tacky. Totally agree.

but if someone else post pics and how tos and give an opinion on something that is your same trade...but IMPOSSIBLE to compete with you than why would it hurt? If the new rule is no non sponsor screen names and signatures that should be the end of it.

Being in So Cal I have tons of choices of detailers...but some are just TOO FAR even in So Cal...so if there was a detailer in Fresno that posted pics...why would a detailer in San Antonio care what he posted?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Dan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud of
Business in username/sig/logo on picture is bad and it should result in a warning + ban if they don't understand the principles of paying for advertising.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:00 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
AsianImage, for some reason it won't let me quote, But I think Moes concern has to do with the mail order business, and to stop the self promoting before his local competitors do the same. Paul W. gets it. If the detailers would've posted as an amature there would be no issue. Moes reaction was probably a little to strong but I'm sure this was bothering him for awhile. If you want to promote your business in any way, MAN UP and buy a sponsorship, it's advertizing.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:15 PM
ChrisNJ is on a distinguished road
ugh.. I dont even need to read the rest of this thread after your first post moe. could you have done that with any less taste? you sound like a child posting their names and everything. I've been around here a long time and I'm pretty sure this and other forums survive b/c of all of their members who participate by posting about something their enthusiastic about.
For starters, you could've went ahead and asked the individuals privately through pm before this nonsense.
sorry man, right or wrong, you lose some points in my book for this one b/c of how you went about it.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Imaj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by airflite1
If you want to promote your business in any way, MAN UP and buy a sponsorship, it's advertizing.
My problem with several people saying this is...where is it said that if you want to promote buy a sponsorship? This sucks. I looked forward to coming here and checking things out...Now I have lost all interest. What happened to the open marketplace? Its a bloody monopoly here now. I'm out!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
I can see the concern a paying sponsor would have - why pay a sponsorship fee if others can have the same access for free? But on a public forum, it's pretty silly to think that you are entitled to be an exclusive provider of content, and are able to prevent anyone not paying a fee from contributing. This could apply to just about every subforum on 6Speed, no?

Also, if I'm in Texas, it might be interesting to see the work of a detailer in SoCal, and I might wish I lived closer to be able to use their services. Alas, I'm in Dallas, so getting to know some local pros (in every aspect of car care) is a huge plus. Most guys are probably like me - we aren't going to order a ton of mail order stuff. We'll just hire a pro to do the work, and that pro needs to be local.

BTW - the blacklist is so McCarthyism.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Imaj
My problem with several people saying this is...where is it said that if you want to promote buy a sponsorship? This sucks. I looked forward to coming here and checking things out...Now I have lost all interest. What happened to the open marketplace? Its a bloody monopoly here now. I'm out!
You have a point. Like I said Moe's reaction wasn't a very good one. It really should have been handled through the owners of the forum. If he didn't like how they handled it, he has the option to drop his sponsorship and basically advertize like the people on his list.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I think at the end of the day, my intentions are being interpreted in many ways. The bottom line is, I can care less about the $$ I paid to be a sponsor, the $$ I make off the products, and the ego boost some think I get out of helping people learn about detailing. I challenge anyone to find any post on any forum from me that was not educational and was purely for monetary reason.

With that said, I don't want this board turning into a place anyone can walk into to advertise their work. The way the detailers I mentioned walked in and just began posting was pretty much selfish. They did not establish themselves, gain the trust of the community; they simply barged in. That's what bothers me. If you want to be of value, then have an educational thread showing step-by-step directions and techniques of the work you did. Educate the consumer so the hack detailers fall by the waste side. How many cars have we worked on to only fix the mistakes made by another fly-by-night “detailer”? I want the name “detailer” to mean something other than a guy doing a wax job for $125. Don't have biz names and web addresses on your username and sigs. That’s not too much to ask for.

There’s really no point discussing this further; we all have better things to do with our time. As I mentioned, it's never been about $$, it's been about quality.
I just hope you guys realize I did this for the betterment of the forum and don’t regret anything. In life you stand up for what you believe in; I care about 6speed and its members, it’s an extended family to me Even if the intentions of the new detailers here are good, the delivery was poor. If you guys truly want to be assets, time will tell.

Post your work but do it in a manner that educates members and gives them a different perspective on the art of detailing. This board should be unique and different form the other detailing boards. It’s up to the people participating to keep the content rich, entertaining, and meaningful.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
Oh, I took off for 4 days and I come back to this crazy new thread.
Listen you all NON-sponsor “detailers” that PM members with so called good intentions to just help them out. You want to gain business, reach inside your pockets and pay to be a sponsor. If 6speed moderators feel the need of more sponsors from the detailing industry they will be glad to except your checks. Or I will J if you can’t afford it then stop staying online and go get some work done.
I am not a man of fancy words or smooth talking, I say things as they are and if I offend anyone by what I am saying, I am sorry but I worked my Armenian *** off to be able to afford sponsorship for any site. I think I deserve at least a little bit of respect, just as I was respectful enough not to post anything about my business or pictures when I was just a member.
PICTURES this, PICTURES that. I seriously doubt it that there are pictures of cars that you guys will post that we all here on the board haven’t seen. And if we haven’t there is google.com. If you are all that good at what you do then your customers will be pleased to share their experience with the online world and post pictures of their cars after you have completed the work. Let them praise you.
Matt and I worked 90 hours a week for 10 long years busting our a…holes to make sure every vehicle that came out of Detailing Dynamics was at its best, trust me that is the only way you will gain long time customers. Not by posting pictures online. When I heard about Moe and Phil I was pleased to know that they are guys out there that truly care and take Auto Detailing by heart as much as we do. Neither one of the 3 OFICIAL SPONSORS of this board has ever thought we will reach levels where people not only in the US but around the world will admire our work. We all started because we like to get our hands dirty and make something out of nothing.
And you NON-OFICIAL Detailers of 6Speedonline.com should apologize to Moe instead of trying to call him a hypocrite because as from I know about Moe, He is now in a way heartbroken from all this crap. The guy posts here day and night, trying to help anyone in need, always researching and thinking about how to make it easier for all the members. You guys come online and all you do is post pictures and say I did this or I did that, I used this or I used that product. But how, why, when to do so or when not to? You don’t speak of. That is not sharing of knowledge if you ask me.
My .4 cents.

Eddie

Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Pats300zx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PRFCNST
Oh, I took off for 4 days and I come back to this crazy new thread.
Listen you all NON-sponsor “detailers” that PM members with so called good intentions to just help them out. You want to gain business, reach inside your pockets and pay to be a sponsor. If 6speed moderators feel the need of more sponsors from the detailing industry they will be glad to except your checks. Or I will J if you can’t afford it then stop staying online and go get some work done.
I am not a man of fancy words or smooth talking, I say things as they are and if I offend anyone by what I am saying, I am sorry but I worked my Armenian *** off to be able to afford sponsorship for any site. I think I deserve at least a little bit of respect, just as I was respectful enough not to post anything about my business or pictures when I was just a member.
PICTURES this, PICTURES that. I seriously doubt it that there are pictures of cars that you guys will post that we all here on the board haven’t seen. And if we haven’t there is google.com. If you are all that good at what you do then your customers will be pleased to share their experience with the online world and post pictures of their cars after you have completed the work. Let them praise you.
Matt and I worked 90 hours a week for 10 long years busting our a…holes to make sure every vehicle that came out of Detailing Dynamics was at its best, trust me that is the only way you will gain long time customers. Not by posting pictures online. When I heard about Moe and Phil I was pleased to know that they are guys out there that truly care and take Auto Detailing by heart as much as we do. Neither one of the 3 OFICIAL SPONSORS of this board has ever thought we will reach levels where people not only in the US but around the world will admire our work. We all started because we like to get our hands dirty and make something out of nothing.
And you NON-OFICIAL Detailers of 6Speedonline.com should apologize to Moe instead of trying to call him a hypocrite because as from I know about Moe, He is now in a way heartbroken from all this crap. The guy posts here day and night, trying to help anyone in need, always researching and thinking about how to make it easier for all the members. You guys come online and all you do is post pictures and say I did this or I did that, I used this or I used that product. But how, why, when to do so or when not to? You don’t speak of. That is not sharing of knowledge if you ask me.
My .4 cents.

Eddie
I have never PM'd any forum member to solicit a detail. I posted work to show work on a unique or not frequently seen car. There was never any mention of "Hey contact me if you want your car worked on".

Personally I work full time and detailing is my hobby. I am an enthusiast like many others on this board. Its not like details of Ford Explorers or Soccer Mom mini vans were posted. I respect the money that you and other forum sponsors pay to be here and I have no intention of stealing money from you or preventing you from any form of monetary gain.

I have spoken directly to one of the forum sponsors on the phone about this matter. We have discussed this whole issue at length. I personally think the way that it was handled was in very poor taste. I am sorry that Moe is offended or heartbroken over this matter. However, he was the one that posted what he did and several took offense to it.

Its not like all of the detailing knowledge in the world rests with 3 6Speed Forum Sponsors. I have seen your work and commend you on it. Your recent post on the restoration of your BMW was amazing and I loved reading it. I look forward to seeing more.

Are we not hear to learn about proper techniques and products to keep our cars looking the best?? To me..its not about making money.

Last edited by Pats300zx; 02-10-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Pats300zx. It would be a little easier to believe your post if you didn't list your business in your signature. I'm not affiliated with nor have I purchased any products from any of the sponsors. But I am a businessman and any time you list your business that's advertizing, and I think the forum owners should make you pay for it or ask you to remove it.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Imaj is on a distinguished road
WOW perfectionist. Way to add more fuel to the fire. I am surprised any of you have clients by the way you handled this matter. How about doing this you three BIG tough sponsors....

All three of you get together and form an apology post to this thread. You all can proof it before it is posted by Moe. In it you mention the word SORRY as well as say that the BIG three here are now talking with the admins in order to make it CLEAR THAT IN ORDER TO SOLICIT BUSINESS HERE YOU MUST BE A SPONSOR!!! Then follow up with a nice we love and respect everyone here. Please keep this board strong by giving us input on how to make it better. Because WE ARE ONLY HUMAN!!! we MAKE MISTAKES TOO!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Don't Post Your Work To Gain Exposure Thread