Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best way to clean the under carriage...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Dirt11 is on a distinguished road
Best way to clean the under carriage...

So after having my car completely done over https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=116041 , I want to clean the underside of the car really well so when I take pictures it looks brand new. So do I use solvents or do I rent a steam machine or what as I have no clue. It is not that bad and I am replacing the heat shields and all the plastic covers but , there is some grime here and there that I want to eliminate. As far as the exterior the car is going to a body shop that will take care of all the minor blemishes.... Here is an example area...

Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Dan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud of
Here is a small test I run on my car while I was waiting for someone , took me 3 minutes to do this. 1 minute to spray the degreaser, 1 minute to wait for the degreaser to do the job, 1 minute to rinse the residue.

+ another minute to clean it up.

after, i've sprayed some 303 aerospace protectant on it

i'm waiting for a weekend to do it properly using the brushes and a water hoose, not a 5 liter bottle of water

products used: meguiars super degreaser for the first time, next time when I will do it I will use only all purpose cleaner on it , and 303 aerospace to seal it

before

after

will post more pics after I will finish it someday

Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Imaj is on a distinguished road
I use Adams Invisible Undercarriage Spray. It makes all my cars keep a like new appearance. It really works!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Banned
crazy1323 can only hope to improve
I would use P21S auto auto wash and a EZ detail brush. These two things shoudl work great. If you have a serious mess under there you can use a major degreaser like greased lightning. An all purpose cleaner should work well too.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a write up:

Okay, everyone as spring nears and most of us have been hit with some snow this winter, I figured why not do a detailed how to on cleaning up the wheel wells on our cars.

I figured some of us will be switching up to a summer wheel set up, so what better time to get you all out there to clean up the salt, dirt, grime, and everything else in your wheel well while you have access to it.

Let's get started.

Products used:

Craftsman's 4000lbs jack
(I was intending to use jack stands but the ones I bought were too big)
Torque wrench
Socket wrench
P21S Autowash
P21S Polishing Soap
Adam's Car Wash
Adam's Invisible Undercarriage Spray
Menzerna FMJ
Old Microfiber towels
Bucket
Firehose Nozzle
If you got a high pressure washer that would be a major plus!
Boar's Hair Brush
Wheel Brush (synthetic bristles)
Spoke wheel brush (to get in to the tight spots)
Detail Sponge (for the Adam's Invisible Undercarriage Spray)
Dark color clothing (you will get pretty dirty on this one)
Gloves

Procedure:
1. Make sure the car is cool (wheels, brakes etc)
2. Jack up the car so that you can take the wheel off (I would recommend using jack stands if you got them)
3. Remove wheel
4. Spray down wheel well.
5. Spray the whole area with P21S Autowash
6. Using the brushes from the Bucket full of Adam's Car Wash I started to agitate and brush the dirt and grime off everything in the wheel well. Getting the suspension bits, wheel liners, control arms, boots, brake caliper, etc..
7. Used the high pressure washer to spray everything down. (if the results are not what you want repeat from step 5)
8. Used the P21S Polishing Soap to polish out all the metal in the wheel well. (not the brakes)
9. Used the high pressure washer to spray down all the P21S soap off.
10. Used an old MF to wipe everything dry
11. Sprayed down the wheel liner, rubber, and plastics with Adam's Undercarriage Spray, for the super glossy look you will spray it and leave it. For the matte OEM look Spray it let it set and then wipe down with a detailing sponge (I used the ones that we sell with the Adam's VRT) try not to get any of the dressing on the rotors.
12. Applied some Menzerna FMJ on the brake caliper, buffed off with a MF towel
13. You are now good to go just mount the summer wheels on and repeat till all four wheel wells are done.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours on this procedure.

Now to the good part the pics:

Before pic of the whole car with snow setup:

Dirty wheels:

Before wheel well pics:

Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
During the P21S Autowash and brushing:

Polishing metal bits:

Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor
Dressing/afters:

Final picture:

Dirty car with some hot clean wheels:

Note: the dressing appears to be running but its not, its left over water as the wheel well/liners were still wet.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
It's best to take the car to a detail shop, and have it put on a lift and degreased and pressure washed. It's also important that steel wool is used on certain items underneath to ensure some stubborn stains get cleaned.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
p21s wheel cleaner should also do the trick. But phil pretty much nailed it

Old 02-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dan98
Here is a small test I run on my car while I was waiting for someone , took me 3 minutes to do this. 1 minute to spray the degreaser, 1 minute to wait for the degreaser to do the job, 1 minute to rinse the residue.

+ another minute to clean it up.

after, i've sprayed some 303 aerospace protectant on it

i'm waiting for a weekend to do it properly using the brushes and a water hoose, not a 5 liter bottle of water

products used: meguiars super degreaser for the first time, next time when I will do it I will use only all purpose cleaner on it , and 303 aerospace to seal it

before

after

will post more pics after I will finish it someday
Great work Dan. Glad to see the products worked and the results are great considering the short effort you did testing. Get us pictures once you're done.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 AM
Dan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud of
Will do it for sure. Its such a great weather outside for this time of year but all my "tools" are on their way from UK to me DHL messed up my package a little and it should arrive on Friday when the weather gets cold again.

I should buy some Forever Black stuff for my tyres.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
mtesh73 will become famous soon enough
holy cow, phil. sparkling.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks Moe, thanks Mtesh!