Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ferrari 246GT (Dino) Detail and Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Ferrari 246GT (Dino) Detail and Paint Correction

Here's a link to a recent detail on a classic:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2316553

WARNING....LOTS OF PHOTOS

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Nice work Moe. It's great to see that you actually removed the tailights to properly clean around them (so many people short cut it and try to clean around them with their finger). The Dinos usually run rich and always leave a carbon deposit on the rear. It's also great to see that the car is correct and doesn't have a "Ferrari" or prancing horse emblem that was added by drilling holes into the paint.

Very nice work on a car that is very difficult to buff b/c of all the curved surfaces.

Matt

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dtlng. Dynamics
Nice work Moe. It's great to see that you actually removed the tailights to properly clean around them (so many people short cut it and try to clean around them with their finger). The Dinos usually run rich and always leave a carbon deposit on the rear. It's also great to see that the car is correct and doesn't have a "Ferrari" or prancing horse emblem that was added by drilling holes into the paint.

Very nice work on a car that is very difficult to buff b/c of all the curved surfaces.

Matt
Thanks Matt....nice to see you're still alive buddy

I thought of you during this detail and your mantra for these classics..."Just walk away" I could have gone further and further with taking things apart and wanting to breathe some new life, but had to draw the line.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
I thought of you during this detail and your mantra for these classics..."Just walk away" I could have gone further and further with taking things apart and wanting to breathe some new life, but had to draw the line.[/quote]

Very easily said, but hard to do. Your mind keeps telling you "If only I just took this part apart". The next thing you know you just spent another 20 hours on the car and made it so perfect that the owner is not ever going to drive it again for fear of getting it dirty . That little perfectionist voice in your head is the hardest one to control.

Matt

Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
another great job Moe, but I'm wondering why did you use this much of pads ?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
mburns813 will become famous soon enoughmburns813 will become famous soon enough
Great job. I would also like to know why you used so many pads.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
another great job Moe, but I'm wondering why did you use this much of pads ?
This was a single-stage paint and it was easier to change pads after a few panels than to worry about a dirty pad. I was picking up lots of oxidized paint. On a normal clear coat, I may go through half the pads.

Just a precaution to make sure job is done right the first time.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by mburns813
Great job. I would also like to know why you used so many pads.
Thanks Matt..please see above post about pads.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 PM
mburns813 will become famous soon enoughmburns813 will become famous soon enough
Cool, it looks amazing. My dad and I are gonna mess around with his 550i this weekend, hopefully I can make it look half as nice as this one.