Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Proper Engine Cleaning: Maserati Quattroporte

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Proper Engine Cleaning: Maserati Quattroporte

Many of you have requested step-by-step process of a proper engine cleaning. So here it is....

Step 1: Run engine for about 5 minutes, if cold, to create a WARM engine temperature. Make sure it's not HOT. Take caution to cover any open intakes. For the most part, most newer cars are OK to water contact in the engine compartment if you follow these directions.

Step 2:
Rinse the engine bay. You simply want to get all the areas wet and to flush out surface dirt. You will notice the steam coming off the engine compartment. This is what you want. It's highly recommended to use deionized water in this step. DI water will help avoid water spots and will take full advantage of the cleaners used.

Step 3: Spray a mild engine cleaner or degreaser. The cleaner of choice for me is P21S Total Auto Wash. TAW is a safe, biodegradable, pH balanced citrus-based cleaner that will dissolve most grease and heavy soil. Spray the TAW liberally and allow to dwell, soak in, for about five minutes.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Step 4: With various brushes, loosen the dirt and oils by gently agitating all surfaces

Step 5: Rinse all surfaces. Dry using microfiber towel or forced ait blower such as Airmax

Step 6: Wipe down engine bay using detail spray or light conditioner such as einszett Vinyl Rubber Care. I personally just wipe down with a detail spray and leave things factory-looking with a satin and dull finish

Last edited by MoeMistry; 04-12-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Premium Sponsor
As long as you practice caution and a little common sense, the steps above can be done on any newer engine bay. On older car, cover electrical, distributors, fuse box, carburetors, etc. My clients have this service done every 6-12 months. this helps prolong the life of all rubber hoses and belts and your mechanic will appreciate the clean working environment.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 04-12-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
mburns813 will become famous soon enoughmburns813 will become famous soon enough
Great explanation, I really appreciate such a detailed process. Will you put this up in the VIP section on your website? I am going to do this relatively soon when I get the products.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
paul w. is on a distinguished road
Nice write up Moe!!! I do exactly what you described here when cleaning an engine and also use P21S Total Auto Wash. I like the satin look as well for the engine compartment, gives it a nice, clean, factory look. I hate when people dress it with real GREASY products, looks bad in my opinion. Keep up the great work.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by mburns813
Great explanation, I really appreciate such a detailed process. Will you put this up in the VIP section on your website? I am going to do this relatively soon when I get the products.
We're currently working on the VIP section....stay tuned. More step-by-step photos and videos will soon be available.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by paul w.
Nice write up Moe!!! I do exactly what you described here when cleaning an engine and also use P21S Total Auto Wash. I like the satin look as well for the engine compartment, gives it a nice, clean, factory look. I hate when people dress it with real GREASY products, looks bad in my opinion. Keep up the great work.
Thanks Paul...I never got what was so appealing about a greasy-looking plastic or rubber part. Don't get me wrong, to each his own. I never applied anything in the engine compartment because after a few weeks, you'll get dirt in there that accumulates, and if there's an oily film on things, it makes it worse. Now you mechanic goes to wrench on something and comes out with an elbow of dirt-laden greasy film. Not a good idea to me.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Well done. Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Well done. Thanks.
Thanks for checking it out Damon...