Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Cleaning Wheels / Cleaning Rotor Rust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Cleaning Wheels / Cleaning Rotor Rust

I'm having a bit of problem when cleaning my car, hoping for some advice... Car is a Ferrari 360 Modena

Before washing my car i clean my wheels - This includes cleaning the outside and inside of the wheels behind the face and whatnot - after spraying them down with water, the rotors develop a glaze of rust on their surface which is gone after a short drive and applying the brakes - The pads simply clear the rust off - I assume this is true with most cars considering the rotors are cast iron

Anyway, after an initial drive that rust sprays itself all over the interior of the wheel and the once clean wheel must be cleaned again, using a rag and some cleaner or water itself - But i have to clean the wheels twice and it takes up a considerable amount of time

Is there any kind of solution for this problem besides going carbon ceramic or purchasing any kind of new rotors/pads/brakes? Thanks

Old 06-27-2009, 02:31 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
[Is there any kind of solution for this problem besides going carbon ceramic or purchasing any kind of new rotors/pads/brakes? Thanks ]

Metal + Water = Rust

Without replacing the rotors with Zinc coated or Ceramic, there is nothing I'm aware of

i

Old 06-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
I'm having a bit of problem when cleaning my car, hoping for some advice... Car is a Ferrari 360 Modena

Before washing my car i clean my wheels - This includes cleaning the outside and inside of the wheels behind the face and whatnot - after spraying them down with water, the rotors develop a glaze of rust on their surface which is gone after a short drive and applying the brakes - The pads simply clear the rust off - I assume this is true with most cars considering the rotors are cast iron

Anyway, after an initial drive that rust sprays itself all over the interior of the wheel and the once clean wheel must be cleaned again, using a rag and some cleaner or water itself - But i have to clean the wheels twice and it takes up a considerable amount of time

Is there any kind of solution for this problem besides going carbon ceramic or purchasing any kind of new rotors/pads/brakes? Thanks
The orange rust you're seeing is from a couple of areas.

1. There will always be a small film of semi-metallic particles on the rotors because of your brake pads. This will turn the rotors an orange color on the surface but goes away as soon as you drive and use the brakes.

2. Within the rotors, there are channels inside the rotors that get brake dust inside them. If you don't get all the dust out of those channels, water builds up, turns the dust into rust, and as soon as you drive, the centrifugal force splashes the rusty water inside your wheels.

To remedy the situation, make sure to flush out the brake dust inside the rotors and behind the calipers. I basically flush out the rotors and calipers until I don't see any black coming out of the water. When the water being sprayed on the rotors and calipers becomes clear, you've gotten most of the brake dust out.

You may also want to consider a forced air blower system, like an Airmax, that will blow dry the wheels and rotors prior to you driving. This helps because by the time you started to drive the car, the wheels, rotors, and calipers are dry. The airmax comes in handy for quickly drying the rest of the car as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Without replacing the rotors with Zinc coated or Ceramic, there is nothing I'm aware of
Thanks, i may look into zinc coated rotors!

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The orange rust you're seeing is from a couple of areas.

1. There will always be a small film of semi-metallic particles on the rotors because of your brake pads. This will turn the rotors an orange color on the surface but goes away as soon as you drive and use the brakes.

2. Within the rotors, there are channels inside the rotors that get brake dust inside them. If you don't get all the dust out of those channels, water builds up, turns the dust into rust, and as soon as you drive, the centrifugal force splashes the rusty water inside your wheels.

To remedy the situation, make sure to flush out the brake dust inside the rotors and behind the calipers. I basically flush out the rotors and calipers until I don't see any black coming out of the water. When the water being sprayed on the rotors and calipers becomes clear, you've gotten most of the brake dust out.

You may also want to consider a forced air blower system, like an Airmax, that will blow dry the wheels and rotors prior to you driving. This helps because by the time you started to drive the car, the wheels, rotors, and calipers are dry. The airmax comes in handy for quickly drying the rest of the car as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks much Moe - Lotta great tips here, i'll definitely put those into practice next wash - As a last resort i'll have to possibly invest in new rotors

Old 06-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Moe - The Airmax seems like a really great tool - Does it really work as well as advertised and described - I'm very interested in it after reading what it does - Thanks again

Old 06-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
Moe - The Airmax seems like a really great tool - Does it really work as well as advertised and described - I'm very interested in it after reading what it does - Thanks again
You'll love it...100% money back guarantee if you don't. Make sure to get the orthotote shoulder strap system...can't do without it.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 PM
rgagliano is on a distinguished road
Moe, what is an Airmax? If it is a blower, I could use one. Where could I get one? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by rgagliano
Moe, what is an Airmax? If it is a blower, I could use one. Where could I get one? Thanks in advance.
The Airmax is an amazing blower. It has 266 CFM of air velocity, has a dual-stage filter that keeps the dirt and debris from getting into the blower, and it raises the ambient air temp coming out of the blower by 40 degrees to heat the air and dry your car faster.

Here's how to order:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-2200AM/Detail

Make sure to get the orthopedic shoulder pad system to make the airmax more comfortable and mobile:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...OTOTKIT/Detail

Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
chardonet will become famous soon enoughchardonet will become famous soon enough
Here is a testimonial for the Airmax that I purchased from Moe: I will never wash a car without using the Airmax. I don't MF towel dry any of my cars. I consider the Airmax an essential tool for car upkeep. 'Nuf said...