Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Advice on a rotary? And Surbuf/Uber Foam Pad Review:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:13 PM
knicks will become famous soon enough
Advice on a rotary? And Surbuf/Uber Foam Pad Review:

Hey all, I just got finished with a Basalt Black 2004 Porsche Cayenne (Will post pics later). I only got about 80% correction with 6.5" LC CCS pads, ( http://www.autogeek(dot)net/hk7424.html )kinda disappointed

It took me about 16 hours with my PC 7424XP, Megs 105 and Optimum Polish II and finish. This was the first time i used this PC, as i have an older one and a griot's DA. I got some customers for a full paint correction just from posting the pics of the detail on facebook

Anyways, what is the best rotary or personal favorite rotary you guys use for compounding? I have a 1992 BMW to practice the rotary on so i will continue to grind down on that until i get somewhat better. I understand the chance for burning through paint and severe holograms but hopefully i'll just learn as i go. Also, I've had many requests for headlight restoration, which i know a PC is completely capable of but the rotary is quicker

Also, thanks to Detailers Domain and MPanella packaging my uber foam pad medium polish and polishing 5.5" pads, as well as surbuf pads. After my detail this weekend i'll give a review. It's a 2008 Black Escalade ESV so depending on how bad it is, i'll try out the surbuf pads with m105 then use the polishing pads and finish with the LC CCS pads.

(forgive the blackberry quality picture)

Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
When you say you got 80% correction, it all depends on the polishes, machines, and how you used them. The PC, even the new one, is very limited in what it can do when you compare it with a rotary or a flex xc3401. 16 hours of labor should be sufficient time to do a proper 4 stage polishing and/or compounding with results that are near perfect, depending on what you start with.

My recommendation would be to pick up a rotary and a flex xc3401. As for rotary, we've always used a Makita 9227. I know there are lots of good new tools out there such as the new DeWalt and Flex. Maybe others that are using them now can chime in and tell us how they like it compared to the Makita. The reason I recommend the flex xc3401 is that it'll save you lots of time over the PC. Time for a professional is money and you should be able to make your money back on a flex xc within a few details.

As for pads, we've been using lake country, they make our signature pads, and have been very happy with the results. The pads work well with our polishes, we use Menzerna, and they also last a long time. We can easily get 8-12 uses out of one pad.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.