Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

cosmoline?? Removal.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 02:58 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
cosmoline?? Removal.

Got a new 2017 Subaru and the rear gate is covered which looks like water spots. I think it may be cosmoline because polish, compound, clay, acetone, kerosene, vinegar all did nothing... that s why I m wonder what it could be. Maybe some overspray of this from the factory???? Easy way to remove? I had some on the rear glass and removed with a flat lubricated razor but obviously I can t do this on the paint. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Can you post up some pics?

Old 09-27-2016, 05:46 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
Can you post up some pics?

Hey man! Sorry , no pics. Looks like tiny water spots but it s not. I can feel the roughness but can t seem to cut it except on glass. Thought it might be the shipping cosmoline or whatever they use these days as the car 50 miles and looks like only the rear got contaminated....

Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
OK, if it's similar to what you posted in the link they are hard water spots/etching.

They should be able to be polished/compounded off, however, they can get severe and may need some heavy cutting/polishing to remove.

Also, be aware, that they may have permanently etched into your clear and may need wet sanding, or worse case scenario, depending on paint thickness, they will not be able to be completely removed.

Hope this helps you/sheds some light on the issue.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:21 AM
going to try vinegar solution first. It s new and hasn t been sitting on lots too long so I m thinking can they get permanent that fast?? Hope not. Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 AM
OK, if it's similar to what you posted in the link they are hard water spots/etching.

They should be able to be polished/compounded off, however, they can get severe and may need some heavy cutting/polishing to remove.

Also, be aware, that they may have permanently etched into your clear and may need wet sanding, or worse case scenario, depending on paint thickness, they will not be able to be completely removed.

Hope this helps you/sheds some light on the issue.

Thanks, you are right on!

To help others in the future;
I first tried straight white vinegar on a cloth and let it soak in and worked it around with a soft cloth. Note I had the water stains on the paint and on the black plastic moldings. The vinegar took out some but not all the spots on the paint. It removed all the spots on the plastic.
I pulled out my Porter Cable and a medium polish. With a little work it removed the remaining spots. What a PITA. Didn t trust the dealer.
I would hope they do not re appear when the car get wet again. That must be my OCD talking, LOL.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Glad you got it squared away!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Glad you got it squared away!!!

Appreciate the advise!! Thanks.