Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Wheel repainting question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:51 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Wheel repainting question

I giving a spare set of 996TT hollow spokes a refinishing job. So far, I've done repairs of some minor curb rash by filling-in and sanding in progressive steps up to 800 grit. Baby butt smooth now. Then a thorough cleaning before apply the Wurth self-etching primer. After applying the primer and allowing it to totally dry, I lightly re-sanded with the 800 grit sandpaper to get a nice smooth surface for the paint application.

Today I applied multiple coats of the Wurth Wheel Siver (allowing full dry between coats). The final step will be applying the Wurth Clear Coat.

So my question is this: Do I need to sand the silver paint and then clean once more before applying the clear coat, or can the clear coat be applied directly to the wheel paint without sanding? Reason I ask is that although the paint is a gloss paint, the dried paint finish surface has a slightly textured feel to it. Not buttery smooth like the primer was after I sanded it. I don't want to mess up the paint by sanding it if not needed, or if it is needed, by accidentally over-sanding it and taking down to the primer by mistake.

So does the paint require sanding before the clear coat or not? I'd appreciated anyone that's used the Wurth wheel refinishing products to chime in with their experience.