Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

best vac for the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
You don't find them standing on the street corner w/ a pimp, you have to go through a Madam.
Guess I walked into that one

Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is on a distinguished road
The hose needs to be a good length, kink resistant, and long. This is the one that I have used for forever with my Rigid Vacuum.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Without busting out the math equations, suction is amplified if you reduce the available suction area. Using the crevice tool for everything increases the amount of suction that you are getting, so I use this tool for absolutely everything. It is the only end that you are going to need.

Team that up with a detail brush of some type and use that to tackle your whole interior.

The Vacuum isn't just good for cleaning carpets, and seats, you should use it for everything. Without toughing the surface, use the brush to remove dirt and dust from crevices and seams on doors, around windows, switches, vents, cupholders... literally everything.

Moe and I probably spend more time Vacuuming an interior than we do anything else, it is hands down the most important step as it really sets the tone for the rest of the interior cleaning process.

So get a good brush, and a good vacuum, and really take your time and make the most out of your vacuum.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
The hose needs to be a good length, kink resistant, and long. This is the one that I have used for forever with my Rigid Vacuum.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Without busting out the math equations, suction is amplified if you reduce the available suction area. Using the crevice tool for everything increases the amount of suction that you are getting, so I use this tool for absolutely everything. It is the only end that you are going to need.

Team that up with a detail brush of some type and use that to tackle your whole interior.

The Vacuum isn't just good for cleaning carpets, and seats, you should use it for everything. Without toughing the surface, use the brush to remove dirt and dust from crevices and seams on doors, around windows, switches, vents, cupholders... literally everything.

Moe and I probably spend more time Vacuuming an interior than we do anything else, it is hands down the most important step as it really sets the tone for the rest of the interior cleaning process.

So get a good brush, and a good vacuum, and really take your time and make the most out of your vacuum.
Thanks for the info.
What do you think about this kit?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+524502

Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is on a distinguished road
That kit isn't bad, it definitely has everything that you are going to need.

If you don't want to get all of those other attachments for other possible uses, the crevice tool is literally the only attachment that we ever use. It literally never comes off the hose. So the rest is up to you, but the crevice tool is the only one that I think is totally necessary.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 PM
howardnew will become famous soon enough
I use the metrovac "vac n blow" similar to the one which started this thread. I use a smaller model of the same blower. The one I use is four horsepower and is more compact and also mounts to the wall in my garage. This machine really works. It has great attachments which can get into all the little crevices in the car. They sell a few different models through amazon. I have been very pleased with unit. Worth a serious look.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 PM
kcturbo is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Metro Vac n Blo. Cheesy name, but great vacuum. The large one (which I have) mounts on the wall and has a 24 foot hose. Great suction, reasonable quiet and very convenient to have it on the wall with a long hose. Can be seen here:

http://www.autogeek.net/walmounvacnb.html

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, I bought a 12gal Ridgid vac today. Took it out of the box only to realize it is just way too big for my needs. I think even the smaller units would be too unwieldy.

What are everyone's recs for a good hand-held unit?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Well, I bought a 12gal Ridgid vac today. Took it out of the box only to realize it is just way too big for my needs. I think even the smaller units would be too unwieldy.

What are everyone's recs for a good hand-held unit?
We'll be getting a new unit for 2010 from Double K that is both a blower and a vacuum. It's not that big so it'll be perfect for your garage. I'll keep you posted. It should be a week or two away.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 PM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
Weird, I just bought the $37 rigid orange hose today and some attachments just for my car. I didn't want to use my regular shop vac hose in the car, its filthy.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
We'll be getting a new unit for 2010 from Double K that is both a blower and a vacuum. It's not that big so it'll be perfect for your garage. I'll keep you posted. It should be a week or two away.
Estimated price??

Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Estimated price??
Sub $200---current model, no longer available as it phased out for the new one, retailed for $229 and we sold it for $189. We'll probably do a group buy if enough interest is there.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Sub $200---current model, no longer available as it phased out for the new one, retailed for $229 and we sold it for $189. We'll probably do a group buy if enough interest is there.
Is this a handheld unit or a standing vac?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Premium Sponsor
Is this a handheld unit or a standing vac?
Small enough to be hand-held, but you'd probably keep it on the ground and the hose would reach far enough. It will look similar to the airmax:

Here's a link to the current model:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...dsh-Vac/Detail

Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Quicks is on a distinguished road
I bought a small 5 gallon Shop Vac from Lowes that's 5.5 hp and works flawlessly for my personal and mobile detailing needs. My main concern was having enough suction and 5.5 hp is on the relative high side.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
howardnew will become famous soon enough
Metro vac makes a smaller hand-held model I have seen advertised. I have not used it myself but my buddy has it and says it's great. Tells me it's much more powerful than the usual hand-helds. I still like the unit where it just sits on the floor or garage wall and long tubing it comes with really has serious suction. Will be much easier to handle as compared to the shop vac you purchased.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best vac for the car?