Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Rubbing Compound: Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM
swedish technik is on a distinguished road

I washed my car for the very first time last night and noticed some small scartches on my hood. When I got home I grabbed some rubbing compound given to me a few years ago by Mercedes Benz. The scratches came out fine and I thought all was well until I took the car out in the sun today. I noticed that the areas I used the rubbing compound look dull. The question is, what do I do now? I tried putting a little wax on the areas and that didn't help at all. Did I just ruin my new car???

Old 08-08-2007, 11:10 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I just use "Scratch Out" from an autoparts store. It's made by Kit. After rubbing for about 5 minutes and then following up with a good carnuba they should be gone.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
I just use "Scratch Out" from an autoparts store. It's made by Kit. After rubbing for about 5 minutes and then following up with a good carnuba they should be gone.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check that out. The problem is, I've already used the stuff from MB and my paint looks like sh*t.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
You will need to polish whatever you compounded (the hazing or the dullness should go away after this). Use a good polish and hand polish it out. Then put a coat of wax on it.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !

I think Jox has his own forum for this sort of thing:

let-me-help-you-rub-one-out.com

I hear (tblackj-cough-dzy) that he even joins in on the application of the rubbing compund.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by swedish technik
I washed my car for the very first time last night and noticed some small scartches on my hood. When I got home I grabbed some rubbing compound given to me a few years ago by Mercedes Benz. The scratches came out fine and I thought all was well until I took the car out in the sun today. I noticed that the areas I used the rubbing compound look dull. The question is, what do I do now? I tried putting a little wax on the areas and that didn't help at all. Did I just ruin my new car???
Your finish is not ruined. You used a product that was aggressive and now you need something less aggressive to remove the marks made by the compund. Post a pic and i can give you a better idea of what to do.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Your finish is not ruined. You used a product that was aggressive and now you need something less aggressive to remove the marks made by the compund. Post a pic and i can give you a better idea of what to do.
It doesn't show up in picks. You can only see the "haziness" at an angle when the car is in the sun, otherwise the paint looks okay (it's dark blue, but w/o sun looks close to black). When the car is in the sun you can clearly see a contrast between the areas I used the compound and the other areas.

Aside - If I do use polish, can I just use it on the hazy areas or do I have to do the whole hood. I'm worried it will look bad if I only polish the affected areas.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by swedish technik
It doesn't show up in picks. You can only see the "haziness" at an angle when the car is in the sun, otherwise the paint looks okay (it's dark blue, but w/o sun looks close to black). When the car is in the sun you can clearly see a contrast between the areas I used the compound and the other areas.

Aside - If I do use polish, can I just use it on the hazy areas or do I have to do the whole hood. I'm worried it will look bad if I only polish the affected areas.
You will run the risk of the areas polished not matching the rest of the car. Since there are no pics, I can't really tell you how far off you'll be. I think the safest way to go would be to use a gentle polish like Zymol HD-Cleanse or Einszett Metallic polish. This way, if it does work and you have to blend it in with the rest of the car, you can do it all by hand and not need a buffer.