Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

360 Modena= Underwhelming? Opinions?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Nycflip22
This video is what really convinced me on the ownership of an F430. Sound is very important in my book. I've heard the F430 in person and it's great, but from videos I wasn't completely happy with how it sounds stock. I preferred the 360 Modena, until I came across Capristo. IF ANYONE can suggest a car that would excite me as much as this in the same price range, be my guest...
I feel the same way about sound, it's one of the most important aspects of the car. I can tell you that basically any ferrari will sound that good, or better, with the right exhaust. Many say that the 355 with a Tubi or Capristo is the best sounding Fcar of all. IMHO, a 360 with a capristo stage 3 sounds better than an F430 with a capristo, although it's close and both are utterly fantastic sounding. That said, a stock exhaust 360 sounds like utter crap compared to a stock F430, while a stock 360 CS sounds MUCH better than a stock F430 despite them both having essentially the same exhaust. Put a stage 3 capristo on any Ferrari and you'll be all smiles. Google for some 360 capristo videos. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a F430, if you've got the cash, go for it! I just have a hard time not getting a 360 and a Aston Vantage (or GTR or Z06) both for the same money!

BTW, have you looked at how much a stage 3 capristo system costs? Get ready for a shock...

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-23-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MikeR397
I feel the same way about sound, it's one of the most important aspects of the car. I can tell you that basically any ferrari will sound that good, or better, with the right exhaust. Many say that the 355 with a Tubi or Capristo is the best sounding Fcar of all. IMHO, a 360 with a capristo stage 3 sounds better than an F430 with a capristo, although it's close and both are utterly fantastic sounding. That said, a stock exhaust 360 sounds like utter crap compared to a stock F430, while a stock 360 CS sounds MUCH better than a stock F430 despite them both having essentially the same exhaust. Put a stage 3 capristo on any Ferrari and you'll be all smiles. Google for some 360 capristo videos. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a F430, if you've got the cash, go for it! I just have a hard time not getting a 360 and a Aston Vantage (or GTR or Z06) both for the same money!

BTW, have you looked at how much a stage 3 capristo system costs? Get ready for a shock...
The same price as 997TT exhausts. I can justify buying one for that price since I would keep the Ferrari for a very long time. I would also like to drive it all the time and not have it sit in my garage.

Back in the day the first videos I've seen of the 360 Modena had the Tubi exhaust and I loved it, so I never considered any other brands. I assumed Tubi would be the best for the F430, until this week when I heard came across a thread that suggested the Capristo exhaust. Again, I do prefer the 360's exhaust over the 430, but the Capristo on the F430 is just amazing.
The F430 just doesn't sound as raw and intense as the F360...
*Edit* I just watched a video on the 360 w/Capristo I still think the 360 sounds a lot better. The 355 sounds just like the 360 in these videos.

I would still prefer the 360 Modena over the F430 (minus the maintenance and reliability) if I was to go forced induction. The only kit I could find was by Novitec and they're asking about $50,000 for a supercharger...
That's a joke when I can buy a 650hp Turbo upgrade for a 997TT for $16,000 or even go 720hp for $26,000.

"I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a F430, if you've got the cash, go for it! I just have a hard time not getting a 360 and a Aston Vantage (or GTR or Z06) both for the same money!"
I wouldn't mind that too...a 360 Modena and a 997TT/GT3, but the performance difference on a 360 vs. 430 is such a big gap. I want something that's also pretty quick in acceleration. I have seen videos of a 996 GT3 out-accelerating an F430, so I can't imagine what a 997 (or even 996) GT3 would do to a 360 Modena
My problem is that I think the F430 prices are higher than they should be.

**On a side note**
The Audi R8 w/Tubi made this F430 sound like a kitten...and it's "just" the v8 R8.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_EjuvQdiTE

Last edited by MrNurse; 11-24-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
The only exhaust I have liked for the F430, the Scuderia version is Fabspeed's X-pipe system with sport cats. Kriessieg is also nice, but anything else, including Capristo just has that deep muddy tone. The 430 sound has never impressed me, even the 430 Challenge cars I watched race at the Canadian Gran Prix, same muddy lame sound.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm considering picking up a 360 Modena in the future and in a few years I'll trade it in for an F430.

I really need opinions on this:
1. Hypothetically, let's say I pick up an 360 Modena this year and trade it in about 3-5 years later (depending on how much I'd be itching for an F430), about how much money would I expect to lose each year?
2. Right now, how much should I expect to pay for a Rosso Corsa Red 6spd 360 Modena? $60,000-70,000?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

This is exactly how I remembered it as a child. This is exactly what I want. Stock wheels (Even over HRE's BBS, etc), black/tan interior. I'm seriously in love and I think I've made up my mind.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I wanted to wait and pick up a 997-S, but instead picked up a Boxster S which I'm happy with so this won't be a surprising pattern for me.

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
The only exhaust I have liked for the F430, the Scuderia version is Fabspeed's X-pipe system with sport cats. Kriessieg is also nice, but anything else, including Capristo just has that deep muddy tone. The 430 sound has never impressed me, even the 430 Challenge cars I watched race at the Canadian Gran Prix, same muddy lame sound.
I feel like the F430 sounds great only if you open it up. But I really like the Capristo setup.

Last edited by MrNurse; 11-26-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:19 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I'm considering picking up a 360 Modena in the future and in a few years I'll trade it in for an F430.

I really need opinions on this:
1. Hypothetically, let's say I pick up an 360 Modena this year and trade it in about 3-5 years later (depending on how much I'd be itching for an F430), about how much money would I expect to lose each year?
2. Right now, how much should I expect to pay for a Rosso Corsa Red 6spd 360 Modena? $60,000-70,000?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

This is exactly how I remembered it as a child. This is exactly what I want. Stock wheels (Even over HRE's BBS, etc), black/tan interior. I'm seriously in love and I think I've made up my mind.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I wanted to wait and pick up a 997-S, but instead picked up a Boxster S which I'm happy with so this won't be a surprising pattern for me.

I feel like the F430 sounds great only if you open it up. But I really like the Corsa setup.
Here are some things to consider wrt to your comments:

1. Sales tax is likely going to burn you bad buying a 360, selling and then buying a f430. Maybe more than your depreciation loss would be just buying the F430 now.

2. Six speed 360's are more rare, and you will pay a premium to get one, maybe as much as $10k and have to make option sacrifices. I like the F1, it's right for the car and you should try it first.

3. Rossa Corsa/Scuderia colors are at a significant premium in price for all Ferrari's, and can be as much $5-$10k as well.

4. The used prices in the listings can be VERY misleading when trying to get an idea of what fair market price is. USUALLY those cars at the lower end need a major service (ie belts + fluids - $2.8k at Indy, $4k at Ferrari and perhaps a clutch $7.5k at Ferrari or ~$4.8k at indy). If there are higher miles (20k+) and the F1 pump has not been replaced, that is due to fail soon enough likely and can be ~$2k or more iirc. Anyway, you get the point. A $70k that needs $10k in regular maintenace is really an $80k car, despite the listing saying $70, and figuring this out takes some digging. Nothing wrong with trying to get a "deal" on a Ferrari, but you generally are better off finding a clean, well maintained example with service records and paying $5-$10k more up front than you will be on somebody who was too cheap/lazy to do the required service. This could also prove disasterous if the deferred maintenance causes a major repair to be needed down the road.

5. Obviously get a PPI including leakdown/compression on ANY car you will buy.

6. 2002 - 2004 360's have a TCU upgrade (you can do on your own, but at least $1k and hard to find) that helps clutch life/performance a lot. They are also more expensive than 99-2001. 99 is the only year that does not have precats in the headers (preferred actually). Besides TCU, there is not a big difference in performance or options on the 360's.

7. For rossa corsa six speed, clean and serviced up, you'll likely pay $80k+ depending on miles is my guess, but again, the supply is thin so you may have to pay a premium. Just depends on what you can find.

8. I'd expect a 360 do depreciate very little over 2-3 years, if you get one with ~20k miles already on it, and drive it another 10-12k miles. Just like the F430, the more expensive aspect will be the regular maintenace and potential repairs (and if you have the mod bug, that is horrendous!). The F430 has basically the same maintenance as the 360, just no bets every 3-4 years (saves $1.8k at indy, not a big deal). The f430 also has header issues (likely still covered under emissions laws) so inquire about the headers.

I researched Ferrari's for a year before figuring out what was right for me. Initially thought it was F430, then CS, then 360. In the end, the 360 is perfect for what I'm looking for, the ferrari experience at the best value/price you can get. 80%+ of the potential ferrari expeirence for 40% of the cost of the track orientated and/or newer models that do mostly the same thing, just get you a higher speeding ticket. The 360 still looks new, most people will think it's a 2011, especially if you update the interior some .

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-26-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Here are some things to consider wrt to your comments:

1. Sales tax is likely going to burn you bad buying a 360, selling and then buying a f430. Maybe more than your depreciation loss would be just buying the F430 now.
Hm, you're right. I would probably keep the 360 for more than 5 years.

2. Six speed 360's are more rare, and you will pay a premium to get one, maybe as much as $10k and have to make option sacrifices. I like the F1, it's right for the car and you should try it first.
I am set on a manual transmission and will pay more for it- also less problems to worry about. I haven't tried the F1 transmission, but I will soon. I would probably love it, but I'm too traditional and I love the visceral feel of driving a 6spd. I love the involvement, rev-matching, and need a clutch pedal. I praise Porsche for it and despise Ferrari for the route they went.

3. Rossa Corsa/Scuderia colors are at a significant premium in price for all Ferrari's, and can be as much $5-$10k as well.
Rosso Corsa red is also a must.

4. The used prices in the listings can be VERY misleading when trying to get an idea of what fair market price is. USUALLY those cars at the lower end need a major service (ie belts + fluids - $2.8k at Indy, $4k at Ferrari and perhaps a clutch $7.5k at Ferrari or ~$4.8k at indy). If there are higher miles (20k+) and the F1 pump has not been replaced, that is due to fail soon enough likely and can be ~$2k or more iirc. Anyway, you get the point. A $70k that needs $10k in regular maintenace is really an $80k car, despite the listing saying $70, and figuring this out takes some digging. Nothing wrong with trying to get a "deal" on a Ferrari, but you generally are better off finding a clean, well maintained example with service records and paying $5-$10k more up front than you will be on somebody who was too cheap/lazy to do the required service. This could also prove disasterous if the deferred maintenance causes a major repair to be needed down the road.
Yes. I would rather get a Ferrari that I can be worry-free about than to get a great deal. I was just trying to get an idea of how much I'd be looking to spend. I would definitely get a thorough PPI.

5. Obviously get a PPI including leakdown/compression on ANY car you will buy.
^^^

6. 2002 - 2004 360's have a TCU upgrade (you can do on your own, but at least $1k and hard to find) that helps clutch life/performance a lot. They are also more expensive than 99-2001. 99 is the only year that does not have precats in the headers (preferred actually). Besides TCU, there is not a big difference in performance or options on the 360's.
This is new to me. I will definitely research this more.

7. For rossa corsa six speed, clean and serviced up, you'll likely pay $80k+ depending on miles is my guess, but again, the supply is thin so you may have to pay a premium. Just depends on what you can find.
$80-85 is fine. I saw a few around $78-80,000 just to get an idea. It'll be even cheaper by the time I'm ready to purchase one. The F430's price might even be closer to what I'd spend for one. (<$115,000)

8. I'd expect a 360 do depreciate very little over 2-3 years, if you get one with ~20k miles already on it, and drive it another 10-12k miles. Just like the F430, the more expensive aspect will be the regular maintenace and potential repairs (and if you have the mod bug, that is horrendous!). The F430 has basically the same maintenance as the 360, just no bets every 3-4 years (saves $1.8k at indy, not a big deal). The f430 also has header issues (likely still covered under emissions laws) so inquire about the headers.
For a 360, I'm going to keep it simple. I did read that F430s are easier/less costly to maintain. I will have to keep reading up on the header issue.

I researched Ferrari's for a year before figuring out what was right for me. Initially thought it was F430, then CS, then 360. In the end, the 360 is perfect for what I'm looking for, the ferrari experience at the best value/price you can get. 80%+ of the potential ferrari expeirence for 40% of the cost of the track orientated and/or newer models that do mostly the same thing, just get you a higher speeding ticket. The 360 still looks new, most people will think it's a 2011, especially if you update the interior some .
Whatever I end up buying, I know I will be happy. It's between the 360 Modena and F430. I like the CS, but it's not an option for me.
Thanks!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 AM
My tcu comment only concerns f1 cars i am pretty sure, since you want manual, its a non issue.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
My tcu comment only concerns f1 cars i am pretty sure, since you want manual, its a non issue.
Even better.

Not it's just a matter of patience and my budget at the time I decide to buy one.
I realized that because the 360 is less reliable and will be more expensive to maintain, the price gap won't be as much as I thought.

My only other problem is that I would want to drive the Ferrari all the time, but I won't always be able to park it w/o me getting worried.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Even better.

Not it's just a matter of patience and my budget at the time I decide to buy one.
I realized that because the 360 is less reliable and will be more expensive to maintain, the price gap won't be as much as I thought.

My only other problem is that I would want to drive the Ferrari all the time, but I won't always be able to park it w/o me getting worried.
Thanks for bringing this topic up. I'm constantly going back and forth between these two (and an R8, 911, waiting for the next Jag, etc...). My biggest ally is my procrastination. The longer I wait, the more the decision will be made for itself.

Some really good information in here.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Thanks for bringing this topic up. I'm constantly going back and forth between these two (and an R8, 911, waiting for the next Jag, etc...). My biggest ally is my procrastination. The longer I wait, the more the decision will be made for itself.

Some really good information in here.

It's def 360 vs. 430 vs. GT3 for me. I do like the v10 R8 and the gallardo but I wouldn't be as happy. Right now I would love an F430. The prices will definitely drop even further the longer I wait and will shorten the price gap even more! I think the 360 will hover around it's current price- $70-90k.
I'm waiting to see what the 991 GT3 is like. I know it'll be an amazing performer and will make my decision even harder, but it still won't have that aura of owning and driving a Ferrari.
Hey, if my plans work out really well I would love to buy an F430 AND a GT3...
(but w/the GT3 wing since I prob won't get an RS)

Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
Even better.

360 is not un reliable, all depends on how the previous owner treated it as with any car. Look over on FCHAT, one guy with a 430 he just bought has been in the shop for 3-5 months, no one has figured it out yet. Another blew his motor, etc., etc.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Even better.

As much as i LOVE ferraris, i think very few people would want it as a dd. Many times like bad traffic, crap weather, parking in sketchy areas, a ferrari is highly undesirable. It also attracts a lot of attention and you may not want to always stand out.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM
360 is not un reliable, all depends on how the previous owner treated it as with any car. Look over on FCHAT, one guy with a 430 he just bought has been in the shop for 3-5 months, no one has figured it out yet. Another blew his motor, etc., etc.
I agree. From my research the 360 isn't any less reliable than the f430, especially when compensating for age difference and things wear out on all cars over time. Belts are not as big a difference as people make them. They can be done for $2.2k at and indy once per 4 years. That is very tiny in the realm of ferrari expenses.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
I agree. From my research the 360 isn't any less reliable than the f430, especially when compensating for age difference and things wear out on all cars over time. Belts are not as big a difference as people make them. They can be done for $2.2k at and indy once per 4 years. That is very tiny in the realm of ferrari expenses.
So I take it that F1 vs. Manual is more of a factor in terms of reliability than whether it's an F360 or F430 (also factor in previous owners)?
I want to be able to drive it frequently and track it occasionally without worrying, as I wouldn't in a 911.

As much as i LOVE ferraris, i think very few people would want it as a dd. Many times like bad traffic, crap weather, parking in sketchy areas, a ferrari is highly undesirable. It also attracts a lot of attention and you may not want to always stand out.
There's an Orange Gallardo in the Blacksburg, VA area that is seen frequently driven around. Besides the weather and parking, I will definitely it frequently (i.e. to and from work since I'd be in a hospital parking lot).

It sounds like I would need an F430 AND a GT3/TT I'll first purchase an F-car and use my Boxster S for more of a DD. Then when the time comes, upgrade my Boxster S depending on the progressions of my investments

Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
couple of points:

1st, as far as engine sound goes 355 > 360 > 430

2nd, if speed and power are very important to you then go with the porsche.

3rd, I have driven a couple 360's, I think they are good cars, and I actually prefer the more simple interior, the car has plenty of power, but I am not sure why you would need more power in a car like this?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 360 Modena= Underwhelming? Opinions?