Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

360 Modena= Underwhelming? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
360 Modena= Underwhelming? Opinions? vs. Gallardo/F430

A little on my background:
I grew up with the 90s Lamborghini Diablo as my dream car and have always preferred Lamborghinis because of the extreme styling.
When the 360 Modena came out, I fell in love. I would read all the comparisons in magazines on how the 360 Modena music to the ears, etc.

In the past few years, I've developed a passion for Porsche for the same reasons everyone else loves Porsche. Over the recent years, I've always wanted to buy a 911 Turbo or a 911 GT3 as my weekend car. But I realized how it just wouldn't excite all my auditory and visual sense as much as a Lamborghini or Ferrari would.

My first car was an RSX-S w/lots of bolt-on mods. After a few years, I just despised the lack of torque.
Recently I picked my current Boxster S and it's amazing to drive, but after a few months the torque (236tq) is just enough to keep me content.

I had driven a 2011 Mustang GT (412hp, 390tq) and I would love to have a car feel at least as fast as this.
I figured the 911 Turbo would've been perfect and if it was not enough, I'd modify it...but again, it does not look and sound as stunning as a Lamborghini/Ferrari.

Now here's my question:
I'm considering purchasing the 360 Modena in the future as a weekend car.
Again, I grew up loving that car. I actually prefer how wide it looks compared to the F430. I also prefer the high-pitched, F1-like sound vs. the F430. I also have an emotional attachment to this car and I don't even own one yet.

My only gripe (besides the older interior) is the lack of power/tq (@ 400/275)! That's only about 40 more torque than my Boxster S!

For those of you that have owned/driven an F360, do you think it'd feel inadequate given what I'm looking for?

I'm also considering a 2005-2007 Gallardo because of the nicer-looking interior and power. On this forum, I have read about how the Gallardo makes the 360 Modena feel so underpowered
I might even hold out a few yrs more and pick up an F430.

Thank you for bearing with me!!!

****UPDATE****
Thanks everyone for your input. I've read every post and considered everything that was said. It won't be soon, but I have an idea of what I'm swaying towards:

As much as I still love the 360 Modena, I find it almost perfect for me in EVERY category except power. I've even considered modifying it with a TT as a fix, but I think it would ruin my view on the 360. I would keep it as stock as possible, even the wheels. I think of it as a "classic" in a way.

I'm very picky and I'm looking for well-rounded dream car in which there would not be ONE thing that I would regret. I want a car that I can put miles on, and drive it on a road-course every now and then.
I have narrowed my choices down to:

1. F430 (6spd)- As much as I share Ferruccio's view on his Lamborghini's, I'm a Ferrari person. I love the racing heritage. I'm a HUGE motorsports fan and I watch the Rolex Series, ALMS, and of course F1. I love the classiness involved with Ferrari as opposed to Lamborghini. From what I've read on the forums, there's a certain stigma involved with Lamborghini owners. I would love to share my type of passion that I have for Porsches and Ferarris and not just talk about how cool my new wheels are...
I believe the 490hp/343tq would be JUST enough to keep me happy. I will have to research more bolt-on mods that would give the stock F430 a bit more power. My plans would be a Tubi exhaust, Bronze Scuderia wheels, and possibly the Scuderia front bumper.
Cons: The prices are still more than I'd like to spend so I'd have to wait a bit longer.

2. 2005+ Gallardo (6spd)- The price is what I'm willing to spend. My future modifications would be a Tubi Exhaust, LP560-4 Front Bumper, and down the line, the UGR 650hp TT kit. My only hesitation is spending $35,000 for an upgrade in power. That would bring me closer to the price of an F430.
I believe 550-650hp would be perfect and I wouldn't even dream of a more powerful car. I still want it to be manageable on a road-course.
Lamborghini is very flashy and I love Ferruccio Lamborghini's mindset when he decided to build the most outrageous car/s on the road.

3. 997.2 911 Turbo (6spd)- I've wanted a 911 Turbo for years. I almost believed it'd be my first dream car. The amazing Porsche engineering, reliability, feel, daily-driveablity, performance upgrade options (EVOMS 650hp for $15,000 is perfect!), overall performance, and 4 seats! (I usually have more than 1 friend that rides with me) makes it perfect!
My only gripe as I have mentioned is that it's just not as visually and audibly stimulating as a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

BTW:

I just bought 3-lap drive (approx 1:30 each lap) on a road-course/auto-x. I can choose to drive either a Lamborghini Gallardo or F430 Spyder They're only paddleshifters, but I will still get a better feel for the cars.
I want to buy two of these experiences for myself, but I'm going to give one for my dad since he's never driven a supercar.
Which car do I pick to drive? Of course I want to drive the F430, but currently the Gallardo is realistically in my price range. I'm swaying towards the Ferrari.

***UPDATE 2***

I am going to completely trash my idea of considering a Gallardo.

1. Ferrari F430

2. 997.2 Porsche GT3 (Possibly a 997.2 GT3 RS). As much as I'd love the new Turbo that is essentially 500hp/500tq, it seems too tame for my liking.
I'm going to eventually test drive a GT3 and would definitely modify EVOMSit tuning, Sharkwerks Track Exhaust, and it'd be perfect. It still wouldn't be as cool as owning a Ferrari, but the GT3 is more of a special supercar as opposed to the F430. I'm not sure how I can explain it.
I'd also like to see how the 991 GT3 will turn out.

****UPDATE 3****
I'm considering picking up a 360 Modena in the future and in a few years I'll trade it in for an F430.
I really need opinions on this.
1. Hypothetically, let's say I pick up an 360 Modena this year and trade it in about 3-5 years later (depending on how much I'd be itching for an F430), about how much money would I expect to lose each year?
2. Right now, how much should I expect to pay for a Rosso Corsa Red 6spd 360 Modena? $60,000-70,000?

***UPDATE 4***
Indecisive.

I'm probably going to go F430, then eventually a 997.2 or 991 911TT as a DD.
The 997.2 completes the 1/4 mile in 11.0 and has 516tq @ 2100 (overboost). That is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of torque @ low rpms.
And I'll always have the option of the EVOMS 650hp kit which I probably wouldn't need.

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-06-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Take a look at companies such as http://www.gothamdreamcars.com (though I don't believe they have a 360 anymore) and rent one for a day. That will give you a good idea.

I assume you are after torque for the acceleration, if so consider a bike.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by 512bb
Take a look at companies such as http://www.gothamdreamcars.com (though I don't believe they have a 360 anymore) and rent one for a day. That will give you a good idea.

I assume you are after torque for the acceleration, if so consider a bike.
That is what I am planning on doing. I would just like to gather ppl's opinions in the meantime.

I find steering feel, throttle response, handling, etc. more important. From what I have read, the 360 drives just like my preference; raw. Again, my only gripe is the power.
A bike? Is that a joke? I can get tq and acceleration from any car in the same category and price range, i.e. 997 Turbo, Gallardo, etc. You don't need a bike to feel power...

Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
our 360 has enough tq to put your head back when you downshift and romp it on the highway. Now, our is modified but IMO it has tq to the point where you wouldnt think it is as low as it reads on a dyno.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM
TAEnvy is a jewel in the roughTAEnvy is a jewel in the roughTAEnvy is a jewel in the roughTAEnvy is a jewel in the rough
Dont forget gear reduction generates torque, so a high rpm low torque motor can feel very strong if it has short gearing.

Given the 360s design compared to the cayman, Id be willing to bet the 360 has a shorter (numerically higher) final drive than than the cayman, but Im too lazy to look it up.

The only way you will know for sure is to go drive it.

Wether it will keep you content or not is based on you, Ive always ran around with domestics so I have a hard time being content with power, its just so easy and cheap to make more.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Flu
Flu is on a distinguished road
Wait for the 430. It has some low end torque which the 360 does not. To drive the 360 fast, you have to get it into the 5500-8000 rpm range.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
If you can hold off till the F430, I think it will be worth your while. The 360 is awesome also and in my opinion the handling is more raw as in GT3. I actually wasn't kidding about a bike. There was a time I had a Noble M425, a 996GT3 and a modified turbo 993. The 993's acceleration was just brutal as I the engine produced 585 hp and had European gearing in it too. The Noble was just about as fast without the brutality and the GT3 was just smooth.

At the end of the day if I truly needed an acceleration fix I would jump on my bike. The interesting thing was that after my body/vision got used to the bike, acceleration in the cars became more enjoyable. The best way I can describe it is when you listen to the funny car or top fuel drivers they talk about how they are almost in slow motion and have plenty of time to absorb and do all they need to do (when in fact they cover the 1/4 in 4 seconds). Very surreal, but a whole different experience.

At the end of the day I think you will enjoy any of the choices you mentioned. Keep us updated.

Cheers.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM
TK7
TK7 is on a distinguished road
i have a tt rx7 highly modified, and i asked almost this exact question on another ferrari forum.....

most of the responses were..... "its a ferrari"

Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
sprinter is on a distinguished road
I recently bought a 2003 360 F1 Spider. A very fun car to drive, but slow and feels very old fashioned. My Boxster Spyder beats it in every performance category except top speed. Maintenance on a 360 can be expensive. But, a Ferrari is a Ferrari!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I have a 360 and tuned 996tt. The 996tt is faster and with AWD easier to driver very fast. It definately pushes you back in the seats more, but so what? I can only enjoy that acceleration for a few seconds until I'm doing 2x the speedlimit. I love speed and power, but even so realize the power game is overplayed. Despite the Porsche being faster and more practical, which would I prefer to drive almost anytime for a cruise? The 360 hands down. It's so much more exciting on all levels, attracts so much more attention (for better or worse). I love my Porsche, but the 360, with test pipes and a Tubi just sounds and looks on a whole different level, and the last thing I care about is slight differences in straight line speed.

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-18-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeR397
I have a 360 and tuned 996tt. The 996tt is faster and with AWD easier to driver very fast. It definately pushes you back in the seats more, but so what? I can only enjoy that acceleration for a few seconds until I'm doing 2x the speedlimit. I love speed and power, but even so realize the power game is overplayed. Despite the Porsche being faster and more practical, which would I prefer to drive almost anytime for a cruise? The 360 hands down. It's so much more exciting on all levels, attracts so much more attention (for better or worse). I love my Porsche, but the 360, with test pipes and a Tubi just sounds and looks on a whole different level, and the last thing I care about is slight differences in straight line speed.

I'm this camp as well... (for the most part - I suggest that if you aren't having fun in the Porsche most of the time, you aren't trying hard enough)

Visually, the 360 takes the cake (for me) over any Porsche (except the CGT). It's performance is extremely lacking. I get more of a thrill of speed from a Mustang 5.0 (not even the GT500). You can get more performance out of base C6 in every single category. BUT - it is no Ferrari. I enjoy the looks, sound, and feel of the 360 (tried one out when shopping 3 years ago).

If you can hold out - wait for the F430. It's better in every category (in my opinion).

Edit: I just reread your first post - Get the '06-07 Gallardo! No comparison.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Well, to be fair, performance is better than "extremely lacking" lol. 0-60 in low to mid 4 second range and a top speed in the upper 180's is 100% adequate for road driving and weekend cruising. But the 360 is a 10 year old car and it's not fair to compare it to modern cars. Certainly though, I would never show up to drag race or modern car track even in a 360, that would just be foolish and absolutely not what the car is built for. For that matter, I would likely not show up to a drag race or track event in any Ferrari, not even a CS or Scuderia (well maybe the track if I had a very deep maintenance pocketbook for Ferrari b/c it would be a lot of fun although you would not win). There are so many other cars that can out perform Ferrari, for so much less money. GTR is probably the best example, then ZR1 and Z06, ect.

I love and respect the F430, but it's really just an evolution of the 360 and carries a 50% cost premium for something that I don't think add's 50% more value. I'm all about relative value, and I'd rather have a 360 and add an Aston Martin (4.3) Vantage as well over just an F430 (or maybe a GTR if I didn't already have the 996tt and G35 coupe), but I certainly agree the F430 gives more torque and power vs the 360 (so long as you put it in race and don't let that pricey/smart ediff take away the fun!). I will also agree that a majority of the 360's are more dated looking in the interior, but not all of them https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ari-360-a.html

BTW, the Porsche is a blast. It's like driving a rocketship WOT, and also very practical. It'll likey be my snow beast this winter as well. I'll never sell it, and certainly don't mean to make it sound like it's also not a hell of a lot of fun. But like you said (Jasper), you have to "try" to have fun in it, the Ferrari is like mandatory fun no matter how slow you are driving. Even parked is fun!

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-18-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Mike, your 360 Modena is just beautiful! Thanks everyone for your input. I've read every post and considered everything that was said. It won't be soon, but I have an idea of what I'm swaying towards:

As much as I still love the 360 Modena, I find it almost perfect for me in EVERY category except power. I've even considered modifying it with a TT as a fix, but I think it would ruin my view on the 360. I would keep it as stock as possible, even the wheels. I think of it as a "classic" in a way.

I'm very picky and I'm looking for well-rounded dream car in which there would not be ONE thing that I would regret. I want a car that I can put miles on, and drive it on a road-course every now and then.
I have narrowed my choices down to:

1. F430 (6spd)- As much as I share Ferruccio's view on his Lamborghini's, I'm a Ferrari person. I love the racing heritage. I'm a HUGE motorsports fan and I watch the Rolex Series, ALMS, and of course F1. I love the classiness involved with Ferrari as opposed to Lamborghini. From what I've read on the forums, there's a certain stigma involved with Lamborghini owners. I would love to share my type of passion that I have for Porsches and Ferarris and not just talk about how cool my new wheels are...
I believe the 490hp/343tq would be JUST enough to keep me happy. I will have to research more bolt-on mods that would give the stock F430 a bit more power. My plans would be a Tubi exhaust, Bronze Scuderia wheels, and possibly the Scuderia front bumper.
Cons: The prices are still more than I'd like to spend so I'd have to wait a bit longer.

2. 2005+ Gallardo (6spd)- The price is what I'm willing to spend. My future modifications would be a Tubi Exhaust, LP560-4 Front Bumper, and down the line, the UGR 650hp TT kit. My only hesitation is spending $35,000 for an upgrade in power. That would bring me closer to the price of an F430.
I believe 550-650hp would be perfect and I wouldn't even dream of a more powerful car. I still want it to be manageable on a road-course.
Lamborghini is very flashy and I love Ferruccio Lamborghini's mindset when he decided to build the most outrageous car/s on the road.

3. 997.2 911 Turbo (6spd)- I've wanted a 911 Turbo for years. I feel that to be a REAL car guy, you have to own a 911 at least once in your life. I believed it'd be my first dream car. The amazing Porsche engineering, reliability, feel, daily-driveablity, performance upgrade options (EVOMS 650hp for $15,000 is perfect!), overall performance, and 4 seats! (I usually have more than 1 friend that rides with me) makes it perfect!
My only gripe as I have mentioned is that it's just not as visually and audibly stimulating as a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
I might just pick up a 997.1-S as a daily driver.

BTW:

I just bought 3-lap drive (approx 1:30 each lap) on a road-course/auto-x. I can choose to drive either a Lamborghini Gallardo or F430 Spyder They're only paddleshifters, but I will still get a better feel for the cars.
I want to buy two of these experiences for myself, but I'm going to give one for my dad since he's never driven a supercar.
Which car do I pick to drive? Of course I want to drive the F430, but currently the Gallardo is realistically in my price range. I'm swaying towards the Ferrari.

Last edited by MrNurse; 11-19-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Reread your posts again and I think you have the ranking 1), 2) and 3) nailed down. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:52 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
I may not be following your thoughts properly so forgive me if I am incorrect but are you stating that the F430 is cost prohibitive and the Gallardo is within your price range/budget?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 360 Modena= Underwhelming? Opinions?