Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

360 Modena= Underwhelming? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cannonball996
couple of points:

1st, as far as engine sound goes 355 > 360 > 430

2nd, if speed and power are very important to you then go with the porsche.

3rd, I have driven a couple 360's, I think they are good cars, and I actually prefer the more simple interior, the car has plenty of power, but I am not sure why you would need more power in a car like this?
I'd like to try something completely different than my current Porsche, especially the interior. I'm going to see what the 991 Turbo/GT3 is like.

Essentially, I don't care much about how quick the car actually is, but the feel of torque and power.
I'm hoping the F430 will have enough power/low-end torque. With my RSX-S, I was also modding it for more power and complete lack of torque was dissatisfying. I love my Boxster S, but again the torque doesn't come in until about 4,000+rpms, and even when I first bought the car it didn't really excite me.

For example, I don't want to get a 360 Modena and find out that after a while it doesn't feel fast enough. I think I will be happy with an F430 and I would always have the option of gaining more torque and power with bolt-on mods.
I think the 997.2 911 Turbo would be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of power and torque. I'd like this type of feel in a Ferrari.
And again, if somehow the Porsche's 500hp/500tq is not enough, I can upgrade to 650hp for a relatively cheap $15,000! I like having that option.

*I want to feel like these passengers every time I drive my car

Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 PM
jpohl402 will become famous soon enoughjpohl402 will become famous soon enough
wow, well thought out post.
way to do homework

Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
have you given any thought to a ferrari 550 or 575? they certainly have more torque.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by jpohl402
wow, well thought out post.
way to do homework

I get "obsessive" when making decisions and end up research for extensive periods before making any purchase.

Originally Posted by Cannonball996
have you given any thought to a ferrari 550 or 575? they certainly have more torque.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not interested in any ferrari except the 360/460/458-line.

I'm probably going to go F430, then eventually a 997.2 or 991 911TT as a DD.
The 997.2 completes the 1/4 mile in 11.0 and has 516tq @ 2100 (overboost). That is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of torque @ low rpms.
And I'll always have the option of the EVOMS 650hp kit which I probably wouldn't need.

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
Inquiring minds are interested to know when you plan on purchasing your Ferrari?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mattyrae
Inquiring minds are interested to know when you plan on purchasing your Ferrari?
It will not be any time soon. I still have a lot of research to do before I can even think of making the purchase. I still have to completely rule out a Gallardo and a GT3. I think the smartest thing for me to do is to get rid of my Boxster S and purchase a 997.2 or the 991 Turbo when it comes out and use it as a DD.
But what I've wanted to do was to have a Ferrari (the F430) before I hit my 30's.

I'm going to move in about about 2 years, so it all depends on whether I get a condo or a house. I would need a house if I were to have an F430.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
Might want to finish school first, get a good job, then worry about a high end car. Would suggest house before car. The car will do nothing for you, will actually make many resent you, especially at your age. Do what you want though, it's your decision.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Might want to finish school first, get a good job, then worry about a high end car. Would suggest house before car. The car will do nothing for you, will actually make many resent you, especially at your age. Do what you want though, it's your decision.
If one is in school, DEFINATELY don't even dream of purchasing a Ferrari until you've got a stable job AND plenty of savings. Concentrate on school, and try to forget cars (I know that can be hard ). Cool cars are cool, but they are nowhere near as important as financial security.

I bought my 996tt the month I graduated from law school at 25, but I'm very conservative financially and only got it b/c I had been managing investments for 5 prior years and had cash plus adequate savings and no school debt to pay for it. I'm also fortuante to have great/cheap rental opportunities in the midwest and plenty of private garages for cheap, so until I have kids, have no interest in committing myself to homeownership. Anything less than that, and I would have been forced into practicing law, which would have eaten up all my time and not allowed me to focus on some incredibly unique and time limited investment oppportunities (commodities mainly). I still haven't taken the bar, and had enough luck/success/whatever you want to call it, to pick up a 360 a month before I turned 27. Depreciation is not an issue, but operating costs on exotics is not cheap, and I still feel some unease for committing myself to negative cashflows due to exotic upkeep. But, I'm a car fanatic and they are worth it to me. Just make sure you understand how much these cars really cost to own and don't let it dramatically change your lifestyle. It's hard to enjoy an exotic if you are worried about the finances of it.

The impact of owning an exotic at a young age varies greatly based on where you live, make/model/color, and how you carry yourself. I was in Beverly Hills last week and it seemed 16 year olds were driving Bentleys. That's not true in most places. My black 996tt turns some enthusiasts heads, but the general population in Columbus doesn't pay attention to it or to me as the driver. The red Ferrari is a different story. Everyone looks, everyone judges, everyone forms thier own opinions, some good and some bad. They wouldn't do this in Beverly Hills where exotics are so common, but they do in Ohio. Just always be friendly, as even 10 year old Ferraris our outside the reach of the vast majority of the population, and try to be nonchalant aobut it.

Last edited by MikeR397; 12-08-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
My profile is outdated.

I don't like to give info about myself, but w/o getting into any detail I will more than enough for an F430.
I'm very conservative with my money. It's just a matter of when I make a certain "move" Then I also decide whether I'm getting another condo in Manhattan, a house, moving to FL, moving to SoCal etc.

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-08-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM
GETU1 will become famous soon enoughGETU1 will become famous soon enough

The car will do nothing for him? Its about the passion of ownership and personal satisfaction. It will do lots for him.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Good info...I too have been debating between 360 vs 430

Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Hey Op, I'm a lot like you where I am overly obsessive about which car I want next. I believe I'm in a similiar situation as you. I used to have an s2000 and the lack of torque was pretty bad in that thing.

So I switched to more torquier cars like a quattroporte and 996tt. I recently got a f355 and was initially concerned at the low torque (268 vs 340 in the quattroporte). I haven't noticed a difference at all, and I believe the f355's light weight has a lot to do with it.

I wouldn't be so pent-up about the tq of a vehicle because of your bad experience with the rsx. The cars you are considering will blow any car you've previously owned away, even if they are low on the tq side. I don't believe the high tq of a vehicle planting you in the seat creating an artificial feeling of speed is as exciting as taking fast turns and having great maneuverability, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck! But once you do get your car, be prepared for comments like "is that your dad's car", "does your dad know you're driving it".

Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by MikeR397
If one is in school, DEFINATELY don't even dream of purchasing a Ferrari until you've got a stable job AND plenty of savings. Concentrate on school, and try to forget cars (I know that can be hard ). Cool cars are cool, but they are nowhere near as important as financial security.

I bought my 996tt the month I graduated from law school at 25, but I'm very conservative financially and only got it b/c I had been managing investments for 5 prior years and had cash plus adequate savings and no school debt to pay for it. I'm also fortuante to have great/cheap rental opportunities in the midwest and plenty of private garages for cheap, so until I have kids, have no interest in committing myself to homeownership. Anything less than that, and I would have been forced into practicing law, which would have eaten up all my time and not allowed me to focus on some incredibly unique and time limited investment oppportunities (commodities mainly). I still haven't taken the bar, and had enough luck/success/whatever you want to call it, to pick up a 360 a month before I turned 27. Depreciation is not an issue, but operating costs on exotics is not cheap, and I still feel some unease for committing myself to negative cashflows due to exotic upkeep. But, I'm a car fanatic and they are worth it to me. Just make sure you understand how much these cars really cost to own and don't let it dramatically change your lifestyle. It's hard to enjoy an exotic if you are worried about the finances of it.

The impact of owning an exotic at a young age varies greatly based on where you live, make/model/color, and how you carry yourself. I was in Beverly Hills last week and it seemed 16 year olds were driving Bentleys. That's not true in most places. My black 996tt turns some enthusiasts heads, but the general population in Columbus doesn't pay attention to it or to me as the driver. The red Ferrari is a different story. Everyone looks, everyone judges, everyone forms thier own opinions, some good and some bad. They wouldn't do this in Beverly Hills where exotics are so common, but they do in Ohio. Just always be friendly, as even 10 year old Ferraris our outside the reach of the vast majority of the population, and try to be nonchalant aobut it.
Finances will not be an issue depending if I purchase the F-Car after a certain time period based on my significant financial move. I just want to get my bang for the buck. I don't think the F430 is worth what the value is at right now in relation to the 360.

I can care less about what other people think about me or the car I drive, as long as they don't vandalize my car. After all, I buy the car for my own personal enjoyment and satisfaction, not to showoff or display my financial status.

Originally Posted by GETU1
The car will do nothing for him? Its about the passion of ownership and personal satisfaction. It will do lots for him.
^^^ Thanks.

Originally Posted by st4rk
Hey Op, I'm a lot like you where I am overly obsessive about which car I want next. I believe I'm in a similiar situation as you. I used to have an s2000 and the lack of torque was pretty bad in that thing.

So I switched to more torquier cars like a quattroporte and 996tt. I recently got a f355 and was initially concerned at the low torque (268 vs 340 in the quattroporte). I haven't noticed a difference at all, and I believe the f355's light weight has a lot to do with it.

I wouldn't be so pent-up about the tq of a vehicle because of your bad experience with the rsx. The cars you are considering will blow any car you've previously owned away, even if they are low on the tq side. I don't believe the high tq of a vehicle planting you in the seat creating an artificial feeling of speed is as exciting as taking fast turns and having great maneuverability, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck! But once you do get your car, be prepared for comments like "is that your dad's car", "does your dad know you're driving it".
For those comments, I should get the license plate "THNX DAD"

Hm, thanks for your input. Again, as much as I love my Boxster for every other reason, the lack of an adrenaline rush when accelerating is a bit disappointing.
And to be repetitive, the seat-of-the-pants acceleration is more important to me than the actual acceleration time.

There is where a test drive will seal my decision.

Again, if I'm going to pay over over $80,000 for a car it better be exciting all-around. I don't want to feel like it's lacking in any significant aspect.

To sum it up, I'd love to have a car with:
-the balance and handling of a Boxster/Cayman
-the hp/tq/acceleration-feel of a 911 Turbo/Gallardo
-the feedback/involvement of a GT3/Scuderia
-the grip and launch of a 911 Turbo
-the jaw-dropping looks of the Scud/a Ferrari
-the rawness, track-oriented, and hardcore-factor of the GT3/Scud
-the sound of a Ferrari
-the racing history, passion, prestige of a Ferrari/Porsche
-the aura of a Ferrari
-the reliability of a Porsche
-and a manual transmission
-oh, and a radio

The car that best fits that criteria is what I'm going to end up purchasing.

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrNurseBJ
To sum it up, I'd love to have a car with:
-the balance and handling of a Boxster/Cayman
-the hp/tq/acceleration of a 911 Turbo/Gallardo
-the feedback/involvement of a GT3/Scuderia
-the grip and launch of a 911 Turbo
-the jaw-dropping looks of the Scud/a Ferrari
-the rawness, track-oriented, and hardcore-factor of the GT3/Scud
-the sound of a Ferrari
-the racing history, passion, prestige of a Ferrari/Porsche
-the aura of a Ferrari
-the reliability of a Porsche
-and a manual transmission
-oh, and a radio

The car that best fits that criteria is what I'm going to end up purchasing.
lol! Happy hunting.

So, what you're saying is - you want a McLaren?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! Happy hunting.

So, what you're saying is - you want a McLaren?

How did I overlook this car when thinking about the perfect car?!
I must admit, the design was as radical or aggressive as I expected when they unveiled the mystery McLaren, and I was actually a bit disappointed. I wasn't impressed by the 458 Italia's profile's simplicity/lack of ducts either.

But otherwise, the MP4-12c embodies my vision of the "perfect" car
The McLaren F1 LM was my first dream car. It was the first supercar I've ever known. And how many people actually own a McLaren!
I'm a huge Lewis Hamilton/McLaren/Formula 1 fan.

I would love own one in yellow or silver w/subtle red accents to resemble the Formula 1 McLaren MP4-24.

As much as I told myself I would never own a paddle-shifting sports car, I would easily overlook this for a McLaren.
One day, I would love to own a McLaren (MP4-12c).
Name:  Praying.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  13.5 KB

Thanks for making me day-dream for a good hour.
Back to reality Haha.

Last edited by MrNurse; 12-09-2011 at 11:06 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 360 Modena= Underwhelming? Opinions?