GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Carrera GT - Clutch proper way of operating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM
spg993tt is on a distinguished road
Carrera GT - Clutch proper way of operating?

Thank in advance. So, can someone take a shot at properly explaining the correct shifting/clutch operation of a Carrera GT.

Based on my reading, it seems thats the #1 driver-error issue, since its a different kind of clutch. different feel, different operation. atleast thats the gist i've read and some people haev tried to explain. not that it cant be mastered but requires a different action and handling.
and since its a $25k clutch replacement job, i'd rather not F Up my 600 mile CGT which is supposed to arrive next week.

1. whats the real issue with that clutch? what is everyone really complaining about?
2. how do you shift/clutch "properly?"

and on a second note, one of the issues of my purchase, which id dint love but had little choice, was that the stock booklet manual pouch was not in the car. the seller tried to find it and for $100 bucks or so is replacing it....but is there a manual onlnie where i can read some of this stuff without waiting for the replacement. i'm the kind of guy that takes the time to read the manual and then forget everything and goof it up anyway. is the manual available anywhere electronically even if just until i get hard copy?

-sg

Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
The clutch is a bit different being a multi disc design, but based upon the cars in your sig, I doubt it will take you long to get the hang of it. Driving the CGT is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. A comfortable, thin soled shoe helps a lot.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
bbs993tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spg993tt
Thank in advance. So, can someone take a shot at properly explaining the correct shifting/clutch operation of a Carrera GT.

Based on my reading, it seems thats the #1 driver-error issue, since its a different kind of clutch. different feel, different operation. atleast thats the gist i've read and some people haev tried to explain. not that it cant be mastered but requires a different action and handling.
and since its a $25k clutch replacement job, i'd rather not F Up my 600 mile CGT which is supposed to arrive next week.

1. whats the real issue with that clutch? what is everyone really complaining about?
2. how do you shift/clutch "properly?"

and on a second note, one of the issues of my purchase, which id dint love but had little choice, was that the stock booklet manual pouch was not in the car. the seller tried to find it and for $100 bucks or so is replacing it....but is there a manual onlnie where i can read some of this stuff without waiting for the replacement. i'm the kind of guy that takes the time to read the manual and then forget everything and goof it up anyway. is the manual available anywhere electronically even if just until i get hard copy?

-sg
SG,

I just took delivery of my CGT a few weeks ago. Prior to that, I had driven a CGT only once. To answer your question - it's not that there's any problem with the clutch, it's that starting from a dead stop is a little counter-intuitive. Your brain tells you to give a little gas as you let the clutch out. This will kill the motor every time. Do exactly what all the print media says by just letting the clutch out and letting the auto-throttle take over and off you go. The rest of the gears are "normal". I have not stalled once. I would suggest practice and experiment in an empty lot first to get used to it. Do it the "traditional" way too just so you know how it will kill itself.

Good luck and enjoy.

BBS

Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
No throttle on engagement.

Once you get used to it, you will feel the engagement, then you can nail it while fully engaging for a more natural and quicker escape.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Tipo815 will become famous soon enoughTipo815 will become famous soon enough
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
so im taking it the cgt feels like a twin disc tilton clutch. Sounds like a light switch

Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Cedric will become famous soon enough
Jay's car is choking. Needs straight pipes.
I cannot say enough about the GT. Im in love with her..

Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
im now officially a big leno fan.
sounds like he actually knows his sh*T

Old 11-30-2007, 08:36 PM
i know once i get it i'll figure it out quik. but if i am hearing everyone properly, i am letting my left foot up, off the clutch, clutch pedal coming up away from floor, and where on other cars i might hae given it a bit of gas already, here no gas. at some point, i'll note the 'engagement' and then i go immediately go full throttle. if i fail to give it gas, at all, it wont stall? is ther ea stall point ? r u saying its impossible stall it if gas isnt given right as it engages?

im one of these guys my mom would always complain "what do i have to do, tell you things 3 times?" i mean am i mistaken but arent all 3 "tell you 3 time" guys? maybe its just me.

\
Originally Posted by jamie
No throttle on engagement.

Once you get used to it, you will feel the engagement, then you can nail it while fully engaging for a more natural and quicker escape.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Estoril M is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bbs993tt
SG,

I just took delivery of my CGT a few weeks ago. Prior to that, I had driven a CGT only once. To answer your question - it's not that there's any problem with the clutch, it's that starting from a dead stop is a little counter-intuitive. Your brain tells you to give a little gas as you let the clutch out. This will kill the motor every time. Do exactly what all the print media says by just letting the clutch out and letting the auto-throttle take over and off you go. The rest of the gears are "normal". I have not stalled once. I would suggest practice and experiment in an empty lot first to get used to it. Do it the "traditional" way too just so you know how it will kill itself.

Good luck and enjoy.

BBS
What if you're on a really steep hill? At that point aren't you pretty much forced to give it some gas or does the computer compensate and give you enough revs so that you don't stall up the hill?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Steve, let the clutch out slowly, as it engages don't touch the gas until it starts to move, then give it gas to go...you don't have to nail the gas unless as Jamie said, you want a more impressive take off (always nice !)

As far as being on an incline....takes some getting used to and you have to be attentive...but what I do is release the clutch SLOWLY with left foot while right foot is on brake...when revs drop ever so slightly, let go of brake and car will go uphill without touching the gas, give gas and go. Sounds tricky, but becomes second nature after the first couple of trips....2-6th gears as any other car.

I usually shift 1-3rd when cold and let the box warm up before engaging 2nd at all.

On start up, all CGTs give a brake servo warning light...don't worry about it. Sometimes on cold start up, car will run rough for a few seconds and even out (normal per my tech)...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 PM
All this clutch talk is making me NUTS to drive the darn thing..what a beast huh? u wanted a super car...thats what you getz.
time to up the ante i guess.

is the clutch that unique, advanced that it is infact a 'center piece' advancement for that car? are there other aspects besides taht clutch that require/demand attention and respect? i mean bigger than the clutch?

Originally Posted by RufMD
Steve, let the clutch out slowly, as it engages don't touch the gas until it starts to move, then give it gas to go...you don't have to nail the gas unless as Jamie said, you want a more impressive take off (always nice !)

As far as being on an incline....takes some getting used to and you have to be attentive...but what I do is release the clutch SLOWLY with left foot while right foot is on brake...when revs drop ever so slightly, let go of brake and car will go uphill without touching the gas, give gas and go. Sounds tricky, but becomes second nature after the first couple of trips....2-6th gears as any other car.

I usually shift 1-3rd when cold and let the box warm up before engaging 2nd at all.

On start up, all CGTs give a brake servo warning light...don't worry about it. Sometimes on cold start up, car will run rough for a few seconds and even out (normal per my tech)...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Originally Posted by spg993tt
All this clutch talk is making me NUTS to drive the darn thing..what a beast huh? u wanted a super car...thats what you getz.
time to up the ante i guess.

is the clutch that unique, advanced that it is infact a 'center piece' advancement for that car? are there other aspects besides taht clutch that require/demand attention and respect? i mean bigger than the clutch?

Driving wise ? No I don't think so...just the usual stuff...be careful getting on it on cold tires, let things warm up etc etc.

You get up to speed so quickly, it can be deceiving....next thing you know you are running up to traffic fast...get used to people camping out in your blind spot having a good look !!! As they look, their car starts to drift over so you have to drift as well !

Once you master the clutch, the rest is grin inducing fun.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RufMD
Good point. I use the servo warning as a reminder to ensure the brake handle is all the way down to the floor. It's hard to do - especially wearing a watch on your left wrist.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT - Clutch proper way of operating?