GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How to drive a GT3 (or other 911) fast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
How to drive a GT3 (or other 911) fast?

There countless threads on what folks can do to improve their cars, etc., but a recent tread involving wrecked GT3s and poser drivers, etc., got me thinking that perhaps a thread on what folks can do to improve their driving could be helpful. Please don’t interpret this to be another greater than thou “you should all focus on improving your driving instead of improving your cars” thread. Even though I have roughly 10 years experience in high-performance driving, 8 of them road racing, I have very little experience involving cars with rear engine configurations. In fact, let’s just say I don’t know $hit.
I’d love to hear any driving tips from folks with extensive or, preferably, racing experience behind the wheel of a 911. For example:
1) General Dos and Don’ts when driving the 911.
2) What makes these cars bite outside of just doing something generally stupid? I’m particularly interested in the GT3 here.
3) Differences in performance driving techniques between the 911 and cars having a 50/50 weight distribution (or very close to it).
Thanks in advance for any tips, etc.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 AM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Well, one thing is that you need to be smooth. I don't race, and I'm young, and I don't have a 911; but I've been in and driven 911's more miles than most people. I've found that smooth driving (like in most cars) will yield the most predictable responses-- and in a Porsche the more predictable the better.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks JoeyG. That's good driving 101 advice for all cars (as you point out). What I'm hoping to get out of this thread is what's different about the 911 from more traditional, front engine cars in terms of driving technique.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Val
Val is on a distinguished road
You need 1-1 tuition with successful people who race 911s. You wont learn anything otherwise.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:47 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Like the poster above me said. You need instruction from somebody with 911 experience. This is not something you can learn on an internet forum. It's not like 911's are impossible to drive at the track, but if you want to get around quickly you need hands on experience. If you have former track experience it will be relatively easy to pick up. Oh yeah, and don't lift.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Roland,

Since you live in Seattle, I assume you go to Pacific raceways and have been to Proformance days. At their next day, hire a private instructor for a couple of hours. Request Todd- he knows his 911's and use to race.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:52 AM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
It really depends on what 911 you're talking about. There is a tremendous difference in handling characteristics when you go from one to another.

tw

Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Manny is on a distinguished road
The main difference between 911s and most other high performance cars is that the engine sits behind the rear axle creating a high rear weight bias. That is great for traction at the rear wheels under acceleration, but problematic and unforgiving if you lift in the middle of a corner, especially at high speeds and more so on earlier 911s. Porsche has done a fantastic job of improving and perfecting the design of the 911. In my biased opinion the 997 GT3 is the ultimate iteration of the breed, but from an engineering design angle there is no question that the extreme rear weight bias is a design flaw. Therefore the age old axiom: “slow in, fast out” of corners applies even more to 911s. Bottom line is that in order to be safe and fast in a 911 one has to drive neatly and smoothly. IMHO PCA driving schools where you have access to many very experienced 911 drivers, including many experienced 911 racers; provide the best and most effective environment to learn to drive these wonderful cars properly. If you are new to the 911 or want to improve your driving technique, join PCA and sign up for the next driving school at your local track.
Manny

Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
rr4
rr4 is on a distinguished road
Driving the 911 on the track is no different than driving any other car.

ie,

Accellerate hard on straights, do ALL your breaking before the turn - if you have the ***** do all of it at the very last minute - trail throttle until the apex, and then roll the throttle after the apex - if you have the ***** and knowledge of the track substitute roll with mash the throttle after the apex.

No breaking or throttle should be done in between the start of the turn and the apex.

What's the big deal.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
There are a few of use that run alot at Pacific... couple of us Road Race 911's also. just remember to not lift the throttle in a corner

Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Ag Surfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rr4

ie,

Accellerate hard on straights, do ALL your breaking before the turn - if you have the ***** do all of it at the very last minute - trail throttle until the apex, and then roll the throttle after the apex - if you have the ***** and knowledge of the track substitute roll with mash the throttle after the apex.

No breaking or throttle should be done in between the start of the turn and the apex.

What's the big deal.
I find that light trail braking is useful in a 911 to shift some of that weight to the front to get some extra bite while turning.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rr4

ie,

+1
I have been doing the proformance days at PR with some instruction... and if you "boil down" all of the instruction to its simplest form -- RR4 nailed it...

However, I am still a beginner... so I am sure there is some advanced instruction that has not been applicable to me yet...

Old 12-21-2007, 12:00 PM
mricorp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rr4
I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with that statement.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mricorp
I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with that statement.
I have been taught "maintenance throttle" from turn in to apex... so you are technically on the throttle... but not accelerating per se...

feels right... is it?

Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 PM
997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice
- my car is a 997gt3 (so my comments are wrt this car)

- I have found that on 2nd gear and mid rpm 3rd gear turns that require braking, it is important to trail the brakes "all the way to the apex" inorder to keep weight on the nose to get the car to turn
- the 997gt3 is very happy trail braking and will not snap rotate on you - therefore use the technique when you need it
- in slower speed 2nd gear 180degree corners, be smooth with the throttle application as you are unwinding the wheel as the car can quickly come around and with the car's high polar moment, if you don't catch it quickly, you will have a tank slapper on your hands
- use the car's power band sweet spot 6000-8000rpms, you don't have turbo tq so make sure you are in the correct rpm range
-once you get the feel of the car, don't be parranoid that you can't mash the throttle at the apex once you know the track, the car has 300tq, not 500 turbo tq so get on it (this took me a while to believe, but i now meassure how i'm doing by how quickly i can put the throttle to the floor) - i came from a very high tq turbo front engine car and was a overly cautious about getting into trouble with this rear engine car snapping on me

have fun

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to drive a GT3 (or other 911) fast?