GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT2 alignment settings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:40 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
GT2 alignment settings?

What alignment settings have you guys had luck with on the GT2? I'd like something for all around use (street, track, auto-x). Obviously i realize that no one alignment will be perfect for all three but something that will be pretty good for any scenario.

-Steve

Old 06-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
I have stock alignment on mine and it's OK for street and track.

If I tracked it more I'd probably get a little more front negative camber to reduce low speed understeer. Prblem with big neg camber is the wear rate on the street, especially if tires are assymetric ie cannot be switched left to right when part worn

Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
tire wear is not a big issue. i'm not going to compromise performance of a $200k car for $1000 extra of tires a year.

-Steve

Old 06-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
In that case go for 3.5 degrees of negative camber front and back and run Cups or Corsas....................

You'll get fab cornering on circuits, but very nervous handing on the road and less traction under breaking and acceleration.

I only do 2 track days a year hence why mine's set at under 2 degrees. I can also afford as many tyres as I want..........

Old 06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Guy

You'll get fab cornering on circuits, but very nervous handing on the road and less traction under breaking and acceleration.

that's a problem....

that's why i prefaced everything by saying it needs to be good on the track AND the street. i guess the answer is that the stock alignment is pretty good and balanced?

Old 06-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Guy
Yep.

I'm probably more street-biased than you are, so I'm happy with stock.

You might benefit from a slight bit of extra negative camber, if you do more track use.

The GT2 is well set-up as stock and also US cars have the same settings as ROW, unlike the 'off-road-style' Turbos in the US, which have higher ride height and also less camber.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Try -2 all the way around with Corsas. It works great.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Actually, some hardcore guys run -2.5 deg with Corsas or Cups, the difference in grip is quite substantial.

If you can afford to buy as money tires as you want, make the extra effort to get your car aligned for the track and then realigned for the street.

Tom and Arling's shop in West LA is the best aliignment place with the best equipment, period.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:33 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Lucent is excellent and cost effective - i had tom check my 97 TT before the pony express 130 and it was way out after only 2 months... so why not reset for the track if you fancy yourself a hotshoe. personally, i had plenty of fun with stock settings on my gt2's

the other issue is your sway bar settings -- some hot drivers can use stiff settings on the track and gain some track performance, but you lose traction in bumps out in the real world. Tom convicned me to soften my bars below stock and the car improved in the bumps of my daily drive.

and going to lighter wheels will improve your GT2 markedly. search for our previous commnets on alll the above