GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why Is the Nissan GTR faster on track than a GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:52 AM
N Ireland D can only hope to improve
Why Is the Nissan GTR faster on track than a GT3

Having seen videos and read articles each one shows the gtr being quicker on track why is this the case???

Old 03-15-2008, 07:00 AM
ksxxsk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by N Ireland D
Having seen videos and read articles each one shows the gtr being quicker on track why is this the case???
Well if you are thinking the GT3 should be faster due to the numbers, the GTR is under-rated from the factory. It's Front/Midship engine and AWD system is superior to the Gt3's RWD/RE set-up for turns--the AWD system is probably the most high-tech one out right now.

The gearbox probably operates faster than any driver can shift a manual tranny, and that probably contributes to the faster times too.

All in all, the GTR is so high tech/computerized that all the work is basically done for you. You just mash a pedal and flick some paddles--the computers do a lot of the rest. The GT3 is much more involved, and driver error probably plays a large part of why it is slower in tests.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
When we will see the 2 cars running with the same tires and with the same driver ... and only after this ... we are gonna be sure that the GT-R is faster !!!
At the moment we must believe what japanese testers say ...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 AM
N Ireland D can only hope to improve
I'M from the uk and there has been 4 tests in our motoring magizines and as far as i'm aware there was't a jap man in sight!!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Cedric will become famous soon enough
* Grabs popcorn and subscribing to thread*

10+ pages...i predict.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Kamil 77 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Well if you are thinking the GT3 should be faster due to the numbers, the GTR is under-rated from the factory. It's Front/Midship engine and AWD system is superior to the Gt3's RWD/RE set-up for turns--the AWD system is probably the most high-tech one out right now.

The gearbox probably operates faster than any driver can shift a manual tranny, and that probably contributes to the faster times too.

All in all, the GTR is so high tech/computerized that all the work is basically done for you. You just mash a pedal and flick some paddles--the computers do a lot of the rest. The GT3 is much more involved, and driver error probably plays a large part of why it is slower in tests.

Well said. That, and they are very different cars, apples to oranges really. I personally chose to take cars one at a time and don't like to compare them (and hate when magazines do) but if you must compare, compre the GT-R to the TT 911. Both are AWD with TT 6-cyl engines.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
The GT-R has taken down both the TT and GT3. The tests were done by notoriously pro bias Porsche British magazines. It is the faster car and very much less expensive.

To answer your question as to why the GT-R is faster, it is because modern technology has trumped old technology (many allude to this as driver technology) which most Porsche's are. So if your interested in playing with yourself while driving i.e. manually shifting, clutching and whatever, then GT3 is the way to go. If your interested in performance, the GT-R is the way to go.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 PM
gabrielbps is on a distinguished road
Besides technology helping the GT-R, I'd loke to check a "imparcial" test.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:02 PM
ztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to behold
The test I have seen Porsche has been disadvantaged with tires. One of them said he could be quicker with more time and more heat in the tires. So tires + track time porsche probably quicker, maybe not.

Could be the GT-R is just that good. It was tough getting used the Z06 and it may be the same with the nissan. But super advanced AWD will make the car easier to go fast in with less experience and time.

Porsche has lost its dominace and is now knee deep in competition, and in some aspects it looks like it maybe drowning. Racing series still prove Porsche is the bar setter but they are still tricky to be quick in. With the new cars they are making it very easy for lesser drivers to compete with better ones.

Kudos to nissan. In a street car not always the better/quicker car wins, its the one that can be used to more of its potential, and it looks like the nissan lets you use all of it quite easily.

Does anyone know if Nissan is still planning to build the track oriented V-spec version still? And does anyone know if they are going to make the GT-R available with a manual still? With a manual I would be very interested.

Last edited by ztnedman1; 03-15-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 PM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
This topic has gone on so long, wayyyy tooo long. There are different companies and different ways of driving fast. Porsche is the way I will always choose. Thats my team and im sticking with them. Like said earlier kudos to Nissan but I still want to see the real world. I think its like the rag magazines(the US weeklys, star and people). Whats going to sell more mags? 911 turbo triumps???? everyone knows that now for the past 30 years. NISSAN IS THE BEST - Sounds like a marketing winner to me : ) LOL Just my .02 lets see the car when it gets here!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Just rode in a GT-R. The car is very impressive. It accelerates faster than a 997 TT and the shifting is faster than Ferrari - more like the Veyron. If you like the looks, it's a great car.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
dekebabamoto is on a distinguished road
Jap Man?

Originally Posted by N Ireland D
I'M from the uk and there has been 4 tests in our motoring magizines and as far as i'm aware there was't a jap man in sight!!
Though I'm pretty sure N Ireland D (Yo, you bloody Heathen. Whaddup?) didn't mean to be offensive, it's curious to me that 6-Speed still allows epithet "JAP", but wouldn't dare allow "******" in any posts.

Anyway, hit this for some GT-R vs Porsche comparisons from a decidedly NIPponese point of view.
http://tinyurl.com/279wl8

Last edited by dekebabamoto; 03-15-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
EXPLICIT is on a distinguished road
GTR is the current level of electronic talent, combined with balance and raw power. Anything less in today's market would not live up to the GTR moniker. I've experienced the 35 gtr experience and its an amazing platform, but the vehicle does all the work for you :-)

Old 03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
no doubt the R is an awesome car but i am skeptical of pre release cars given by manufacturers for these comparisons. i bet the boost is turned up and other assorted tricks that will not be available on the customer cars.

toyota did this with the last tt supra that was supposed to have 320 hp and the mags tested pre production ones with closer to 400 hp that blew away the competition. customer cars were not nearly as fast.

i will wait to see what a usa customer's R can do against a tt

Old 03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
jlingk will become famous soon enough
Gee, do you think the GT-R's twin turbo and 100+ horsepower advantage and Damptronics have anything to do with it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why Is the Nissan GTR faster on track than a GT3