GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT3 race headers/ exhaust suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
997 GT3 race headers/ exhaust suggestions?

I've found lots of exhaust threads here, but none that are race specific...

I’m looking for a race exhaust for my ’06 997 GT3 cup motor. I need both the headers and mufflers, and I don’t need to worry about cats or have a strict sound limit. I’d been planning to use GT3 RSR headers that I've got and make a muffler, but I've been told that kills too much low end torque for what I'm doing.

So has anyone seen good headers or full race exhaust systems for GT3s/ cups? Preferably light weight, and not 8k? I know hergesheimer made a nice piece for the 996 cup, but I don't think they did 7s (and it's not cheap):

http://www.hergesheimer.com/hergeshe...e_exhaust.html

-Pete

Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey pete... not sure if you're interested but Fred has his Cargraphic Kit 5 for sale? Race style headers and cats.... but you'd need to rework them a bit to fit your app?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 AM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for that idea Alex.

Well the headers look interesting. I could almost come straight off of those with a couple straight Coast mufflers, dumping the cats, etc. As you say I'd need to check clearance.
Does he have an ad posted, or do you have any other details?

-Pete

Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by petevb
Thanks for that idea Alex.

Well the headers look interesting. I could almost come straight off of those with a couple straight Coast mufflers, dumping the cats, etc. As you say I'd need to check clearance.
Does he have an ad posted, or do you have any other details?

-Pete
Hey Pete, they're here at the shop and I think he wants about 3K (originally they were 7.5K) so for sure have a look. You could actually combine them with the 997GT3 stock center section too and have it come out in the center Or just plug off the small pipe?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
I've found lots of exhaust threads here, but none that are race specific...

I’m looking for a race exhaust for my ’06 997 GT3 cup motor. I need both the headers and mufflers, and I don’t need to worry about cats or have a strict sound limit. I’d been planning to use GT3 RSR headers that I've got and make a muffler, but I've been told that kills too much low end torque for what I'm doing.

So has anyone seen good headers or full race exhaust systems for GT3s/ cups? Preferably light weight, and not 8k? I know hergesheimer made a nice piece for the 996 cup, but I don't think they did 7s (and it's not cheap):

http://www.hergesheimer.com/hergeshe...e_exhaust.html

-Pete
You need the Porsche Motorsports World Challenge Sprint exhaust. Loren at 911 Design has one available. loren@nine11design.com Tell him Garrett told you about it.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by grussell
You need the Porsche Motorsports World Challenge Sprint exhaust. Loren at 911 Design has one available. loren@nine11design.com Tell him Garrett told you about it.
Is that what's pictured on your car? I'll look into it, thanks...

Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Update- I test fit the cargraphics system today. The headers are very nice, well done pieces, but unfortunately they don't fit in my application. I've got a narrow enough track and the motor shifted forwards far enough that they hit the rear wheels by a couple of inches. Shame, because otherwise they look very good (2" OD x 19" primaries).

I also chased down the PMS World Challenge system, but I determined that it would hurt torque as it uses even larger primaries than what I already have (I've got the GT3 RS racing headers- 2.15" x 19" primaries).

Any other suggestions for headers or systems to look at?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Gentleman

The standard production engine in the GT3 does not have enough compression to take advantage of a true racing exhaust like the World Challenge system.

Our racing engines (WC)including the stock cup have more compression, different cam profiles , different electronics etc and are designed to take advantage of a free flowing exhaust system.

If you are looking for me speed around the track or reduced lap times, your money is much better spent on suspension upgrades..........

Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Gentleman

The standard production engine in the GT3 does not have enough compression to take advantage of a true racing exhaust like the World Challenge system.

Our racing engines (WC)including the stock cup have more compression, different cam profiles , different electronics etc and are designed to take advantage of a free flowing exhaust system.
Yes, that sounds correct to me. I believe the WC uses both the RSR cam and the stepped-tube RSR headers, which probably work well as a matched set at high rpm. With the milder cup cam and my desire for more torque those headers sound too large.

GMG makes and sells a number of exhausts for the gt3s, cups... Any suggestions for what to use, or what size to use? I believe most "street" GT3 headers use 2" primaries- think 2.15" is too large? I can of course run the WC rather than cup engine map, which should help a bit...

To be clear I have no headers or exhaust at all right now, so I need to find something...

Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Yes, that sounds correct to me. I believe the WC uses both the RSR cam and the stepped-tube RSR headers, which probably work well as a matched set at high rpm. With the milder cup cam and my desire for more torque those headers sound too large.

GMG makes and sells a number of exhausts for the gt3s, cups... Any suggestions for what to use, or what size to use? I believe most "street" GT3 headers use 2" primaries- think 2.15" is too large? I can of course run the WC rather than cup engine map, which should help a bit...

To be clear I have no headers or exhaust at all right now, so I need to find something...

Pete to be honest I think the 997GT3 Cup is the best system for a production GT3/RS if you want to make some power. The systems uses a high flow sport catalyst, eliminates the primary mufflers and uses a revised rear muffler.

Since the headers and cats are close to what is stock on the car, less the bypass flaps it probably makes for the best upgrade for a street car that sees track use.

The DME used in the cup and world challenge cars is a bosch motorsport unit and does not adapt to a street car with vario cam and E- Gas.

The AWE system is good alternative as well. Although I have not installed or tested one myself.

I think your best bet is to run the GIAC software re-flash on your car.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
Fabryce, is your recommendation the GMG GT3 sport exhaust?

Have you checked out the Oakley Designs GT3 system? Curious to know what you think.

http://www.oakleydesign.eu/titanium-...system-997-gt3

Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Pete to be honest I think the 997GT3 Cup is the best system for a production GT3/RS if you want to make some power.

The DME used in the cup and world challenge cars is a bosch motorsport unit and does not adapt to a street car with vario cam and E- Gas.
Fabryce, just to clarify- I have a 2006 997 GT3 cup motor, not a street motor. So I've got the one with the bosch motorsports ECU, without the variocam, etc... And I don't need to run cats.
Does that change your recommendation?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce, just to clarify- I have a 2006 997 GT3 cup motor, not a street motor. So I've got the one with the bosch motorsports ECU, without the variocam, etc... And I don't need to run cats.
Does that change your recommendation?

Ahhhhhhhhh got it!

Call me on Monday or email at the shop fabryce@gmgracing.com. I have something you might be interested in which includes a tune for your motorsport DME.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Fabryce, is your recommendation the GMG GT3 sport exhaust?

Have you checked out the Oakley Designs GT3 system? Curious to know what you think.

http://www.oakleydesign.eu/titanium-...system-997-gt3

Looks pretty cool, we are going to install one for a customer and dyno the car before and after to see what kind of power it makes. I have not had an oppurtunity to see the actual system in real life.

Will take some pictures and post the results once we are finished with the project.

Form the pictures it looks like a early cup style muffler with later style headers. Similar to what quicksilver is making.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
Looks pretty cool, we are going to install one for a customer and dyno the car before and after to see what kind of power it makes. I have not had an oppurtunity to see the actual system in real life.

Will take some pictures and post the results once we are finished with the project.

Form the pictures it looks like a early cup style muffler with later style headers. Similar to what quicksilver is making.

Cool, Im curious to see the results. I plan on using these systems soon.

Any dyno tests for the GMG GT3 system?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 race headers/ exhaust suggestions?