GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RS Flywheel Warning?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Gus F is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
you should know that many 996 GT3's have had this mod without any engine and only a few pulley problems...replacing the pulley is less of an issue than making sure the pulley bolt is properly torqued and installed with loctite.

How many people have done this mod? Many 996's and 997's (mostly done when rms replaced) Dealers were originally willing to do this mod and many enthusiasts desired the mod because of the increase in throttle response....no one considered that the different flywheel could cause a rotating mass imbalance....Porsche's reaction has been due to requests to fix the pulley failures under warranty.

How many engine failures directly related to this mod? No GT3 engine failures but plenty of pulley failures.

We should ask for a real solution from porsche!!. Ask away...you have the real solution from porsche...don't do the mod...buy an RS
I had the LWFW done while fixing a RMS 3K miles ago.
I mean there is a sustancial amount of people in the U.S. who have this mod done with out any hesitation from the dealers, i believe we deserve a clear answer/solution to this issue, it is not nice to live with the chance to have a major engine failure (ask GT3Ranger).
  • Do we have to keep checking the pulley/bolt costantly?
  • Do we need to do the pulley upgrade?
  • Should we go back to Stock ?
RS was not available when I was shopping, I barely got my black GT3, I'm happy with it though.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Gus, if I were you I would discuss this with your dealer service manager...since you paid for the factory parts to have it done when the rms was fixed they should feel obligated to cover you...at least you will know where you stand then you can decide what is the best action for you...if they did nothing to the pulley when they installed the lwfw then at the very least they should replace the pulley bolt with the proper torque and loctite...

Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Gus F is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
Gus, if I were you I would discuss this with your dealer service manager...since you paid for the factory parts to have it done when the rms was fixed they should feel obligated to cover you...at least you will know where you stand then you can decide what is the best action for you...if they did nothing to the pulley when they installed the lwfw then at the very least they should replace the pulley bolt with the proper torque and loctite...
Thanks, I'll talk with him, I'll take the car for service next week, I will post later with an update.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I will check with my dealer but based on the turn of events I believe the proper pulley was installed in my GT3 in the repair after the damage.
This was a Cup car pulley as I was informed.

Personally I do believe my dealer would CPO my GT3. They know my car completely and have been exclusively the only ones to have worked on the GT3.

Ranger

Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Dragging up this older thread as I am curious how things have gone for folks who changed out their dual mass flywheel on .1 GT3's for the LWFW or RS 4.0 kit. I'm looking at going to the 4.0 kit in the future.