GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

? for guys towing with open trailer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Teddy is on a distinguished road
? for guys towing with open trailer

When towing with an open trailer ( featherlight, trailex etc) without the front air dam...does the front of your car take a beating ? Will I be ok without the protective air dam, or is that a must have option????
Thanks for any help

Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
If the weather is foul your car will definately take a beating. I have towed with an open trailer and spent many hours cleaning my car when I got to where I was going. An enclosed trailer is definately the best option. I started with an open trailer and used that for about a year. After that I went to a POS enclosed trailer and realized that you get what you pay for. I finally got a Gold Rush enclosed trailer and I spent A LOT of money on it but it quickly proved that it was worth every penny that I spent. Make sure you get a trailer that can provide you with everything that you need and you will be very happy.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I have a Trailex and mounted a large Northern Tool tool box crossways in front of the car. I had no problems with damage last year. Weight of tow vehicle around 5000#. Weight of trailer and turbo around 4500#. Weight of bare trailer with no options 925#. I'm very pleased with my setup bc my wife can easily handle the tow vehicle and it fits nicely in my garage as does the trailer.

The idea from RPM North is a good one assuming you have a large and heavy tow vehicle to stabilize the trailer under heavy wind cross loading.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Cabcar has a spectacular aura aboutCabcar has a spectacular aura about
I have an 18' steel Anderson trailer that I have used to tow my car for thousands and thousands of miles and I have never had any damage to my car. Yes, it will get very dirty on trips when the road is damp or wet but it will not get damaged in any way.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
i haven't had any damage without an air dam.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 AM
lawjdc is on a distinguished road
No air dam, no damage . . . yet

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I have a big airdam. The amount of stuff that gets on the front of that confirms the need for it.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
rmag will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Teddy
When towing with an open trailer ( featherlight, trailex etc) without the front air dam...does the front of your car take a beating ? Will I be ok without the protective air dam, or is that a must have option????
Thanks for any help
I tow with a trailex open trailer. Didn't bother getting the airdam because with the beating your car takes on the track, you'll never notice what it gathers from the ride on the trailer.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Have had no problems. Have clear bra on car.......Name:  DSCN2327.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  50.5 KB

Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
doccao will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by eclou
I have a big airdam. The amount of stuff that gets on the front of that confirms the need for it.
Agreed 100%....the front of my enclosed Featherlite is covered with bug debri since new.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 AM
SAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura about
Depending on the car and distance, some have clear bra, but most of the time I secure the car cover over the car.

Knock on wood, here in Texas, I have not had to tow in Poor weather, aside from rain.

S

Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
The problem of not having a protective air dam is not just bug debris. A bigger issue is road debris being flung off of the rear tires of your tow vehicle.

If you are towing on a road that has small pieces of gravel, add in a little bit of rain, and now you are showering your car with a microspray mist of rain and road gravel debris. If you have a clear bra on your car, it will protect it most likely protect you. I do have a clear bra on all of my cars, but still didn't like the idea of my tow vehicle kicking up debris on my car.

On a smooth, clean dry road.....you probably won't notice any real road debris being kicked up.

Dan

Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
I have no air dam, but I do have a clear bra, but no real issues either. execpt last year going up to Mid-Ohio the back way through Amish country I ran over some horse crap and sprayed the side of the car. I wondered why no one was parking next to me in the paddock!

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rmag
I tow with a trailex open trailer. Didn't bother getting the airdam because with the beating your car takes on the track, you'll never notice what it gathers from the ride on the trailer.
LOL, now that's a good point.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by SAFE4NOW
Depending on the car and distance, some have clear bra, but most of the time I secure the car cover over the car.
Really? I haven't heard of any car cover that is designed for / safe for towing. None are sufficiently soft on the inside not to scratch the car, yet durable on the outside to survive the weather.

Please share info about the brand of car cover!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ? for guys towing with open trailer