GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 (or RS) vs GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM
WhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to behold
GT3 (or RS) vs GT2

Hi guys,

I am going to buy a car just for tracking, everything (beginning from suspensions to the wheels) will be specced for tracking. Which one makes more sense? N/A motor sounds good to me for that, but GT2 also is a beast. (Also comments to Gt3 vs Gt3 RS track-wise are appreciated)

Need your opinions..

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I own a GT2 and yes it is a beast. I don't think that the track is the most suitable place for it. I believe you might see a drop in performance over some period of time as the turbo's get warmer and pushed more. I have no proof in my opinion, but have heard from others on this, and have had a reduction of boost when I am running hard over time and the exhaust exceeds a certain temp. Mods are required to fix that. The turbo in my opinion is made for the street and to be super quick. I vote a GT3.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have any of your mentioned cars.

But my next car purchase will be a GT3 that is mainly for track use. The GT2 costs significantly more than the GT3 and I'm not comfortable to use it on the track. (if you are very comfortable with your driving skill then please ignore this comment).

Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say go with the GT3RS. most tracks aren't big enough to truly utilize the extra hp that the GT2 cars have. Also on really tight tracks the GT2 might not be on boost when you need it most while coming out of turns. I've never driven either of them, but those would be my concerns of a GT2 vs. GT3RS. I guess it comes down to if your track has a lot of long straight aways or like most tracks, is a bit more tight and twisty. Great decision to have to make though. The good thing is, there is not wrong decision on that one!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Why not just buy a cup car? A nice 996 cup car that's been sorted is better/cheaper than trying to make street cars into race cars.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Why not just buy a cup car? A nice 996 cup car that's been sorted is better/cheaper than trying to make street cars into race cars.
+1, that is what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. A dedicated trackcar is a nice luxury to have, enjoy.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Khalid - just get a Cup Car for the track. You can buy good 996 cups at a reasonable price point.

The real question is: What car are you prepared to have totaled at the track? If you really drive as you should, you are squeezing the limits of any of these cars, and there is a high probability of damage unless you are a skilled and experienced driver with knowledge of the track.

For me, destroying or badly damaging a GT2 or my GT3RS at the track is not an option...

Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
The real question is: What car are you prepared to have totaled at the track? If you really drive as you should, you are squeezing the limits of any of these cars, and there is a high probability of damage unless you are a skilled and experienced driver with knowledge of the track.
This is the exact thoughts in my mind every time I go to a track day. It got worse when I witnessed a 996GT3 that got totalled just a few car lengths in front of me on a wet track one time.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I agree with other members who recommended getting a 996 GT3 Cup car with a history and well sorted out. This being if the intent is for track use only of mainly.
Now I would strongly recommend the naturally aspirated motor over the turbo for the track / road course events.
You will get much more enjoyment from a NA motor. Wringing out the gears to 8000 rpm is intoxicating. And I dare say for most regular drivers you will be probably faster in a NA car.
To be very fast in a turbo car requires serious abilities of which most do not have.
Also the NA motor / characteristics will be more forgiving than a turbo.

Hey my 997GT3 is for sale.
Good luck with the buying process. It's fun.

Ranger

Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned
997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all
I wrote from my friend Whiteknight's account before and that was my question.

Thanks for the comments, these are mostly same with what I've thought before I wrote here. I'm not a skilled driver so I'm going to take some serious courses from a good instructor at a racing school or something. So I'll do a lot of practice with a professional to be good before pushing the limits on my own a 996 cup car is something good to think about, but besides that, what are the main differences between a GT3 vs GT3RS, again track-wise? and when can we expect the new RS?

Last edited by 997ttguru; 02-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There is nothing on the RS worth the price difference. It hasn't proven to be any faster.

I agree with cup car over heavily modding a 997 GT3, or GT2.

I might agree with a heavily modded 996 GT3 though as well over those two since you seem to be headed in that direction.