Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

ALMS Laguna - corvette FTL!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Corvette will be taking heads next year.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jherbias
The Corvettes are going to be brutal next year. O'Connell likened this shove into a wall to wakening a sleeping giant. Considering the fact that they already have a race win in such a short amount of time in GT2, everybody look out. It took BMW a long time before they got their first win here. However, they will race w/ a smaller engine next year, so I don't know.

PS. Will there even be a Challenge class next year?
Smaller motor, no DFI that they snuck in, and maybe Porsche will get some of their weight and RPM penalties relieved. It makes no sense that the V8 of the Corvette's will be making a ton of Torque and the Porsche's will be limited to 450 hp at 7500 + with not nearly as much torque. Also BMW came from ground up, Corvette Racing has been in ALMS for well over 10 years so they knew which direction to take in building a car.

And BMW ran on Dunlops, so it was quite an achievement that they performed as well as they did as the Dunlops were considered quite a bit slower than the Michelins. Even though they got handed one race win, they still performed very well. They will be a force next year too.

Lizards are going to have to get a better driver in the second car to compete for the team championship next year. But the 45 will still be fighting for the championship.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Damage is infamous around these parts
I don't care who's at fault, but godamn that was exciting to watch!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Smaller motor, no DFI that they snuck in, and maybe Porsche will get some of their weight and RPM penalties relieved. It makes no sense that the V8 of the Corvette's will be making a ton of Torque and the Porsche's will be limited to 450 hp at 7500 + with not nearly as much torque. Also BMW came from ground up, Corvette Racing has been in ALMS for well over 10 years so they knew which direction to take in building a car.

And BMW ran on Dunlops, so it was quite an achievement that they performed as well as they did as the Dunlops were considered quite a bit slower than the Michelins. Even though they got handed one race win, they still performed very well. They will be a force next year too.

Lizards are going to have to get a better driver in the second car to compete for the team championship next year. But the 45 will still be fighting for the championship.
Nice info. I hope the playing field will be more even next year. vette have so much more torque compare with everyone else. What's up with the Ford GT team - their GT2 car is super slow. I think challenge class cars were passing the Ford GT2 car

Originally Posted by Damage
I don't care who's at fault, but godamn that was exciting to watch!
LOL - well said

Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
Nice info. I hope the playing field will be more even next year. vette have so much more torque compare with everyone else. What's up with the Ford GT team - their GT2 car is super slow. I think challenge class cars were passing the Ford GT2 car
The Ford GT is actually fast, however they only have one pro driver, and run on Dunlops. The other two drivers are the owners of the team, the Robertsons (husband and wife), they aren't very fast, kind of like Seth Nieman, the owner of Flying Lizrds. He routinely is only 1-2 seconds faster than the challenge cars and about 4-6 seconds slower than Overbeek who is his co-driver (I think Overbeek is anyways). The car also always seems to get punted for some reason or have reliability issues. The speed is there, the rest of the package is not.

If the Ford had some factory sponsorship and two pro drivers it would be a serious contender.

If Lizards don't get another pro in the other car it will be difficult for the 45 of Long/Berg. to run vs both of the factory Corvettes who are both very fast. If Henzler gets a solid/every race partner in the Farnbacher Loles car though he could compete for the championship again too.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
The Ford GT is actually fast, however they only have one pro driver, and run on Dunlops. The other two drivers are the owners of the team, the Robertsons (husband and wife), they aren't very fast, kind of like Seth Nieman, the owner of Flying Lizrds. He routinely is only 1-2 seconds faster than the challenge cars and about 4-6 seconds slower than Overbeek who is his co-driver (I think Overbeek is anyways). The car also always seems to get punted for some reason or have reliability issues. The speed is there, the rest of the package is not.

If the Ford had some factory sponsorship and two pro drivers it would be a serious contender.

If Lizards don't get another pro in the other car it will be difficult for the 45 of Long/Berg. to run vs both of the factory Corvettes who are both very fast. If Henzler gets a solid/every race partner in the Farnbacher Loles car though he could compete for the championship again too.
Ah, now that make sense. It's all about the driver behind the wheel. it's impressive to see husband and wife drive the same race car. That makes an interesting dinner table conversation. It was sad to see Ford GT get past by everyone. I could drive for the Ford team ... around the paddock lol