GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

My New 2010 GT3: Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
My New 2010 GT3: Review

All:

I love my GT3. Perhaps that's enough of a review

I think most members were interested in the differences between the GT3 and my prior 2009 turbo. I won't bore you with a long explanation -- simply, the turbo was a tremendous touring machine and the GT3 is a rough-and-tumble race car.

I happen to desire the rawness of the GT3 over the turbo.

Yes, I do miss the incredible power of the turbo (mine modded to 670 hp with the AWE kit). Yes, there were some creature comforts of the turbo that I miss as well: muti-function steering wheel, Bose stereo, ventilated seats, even the rear seats for the kids.

My GT3 has plenty of creature comforts (e.g. Nav, enhanced sound, iPod connector, etc.) so I'm not completely bare. Plus, the incredible engine note and grab of the NA engine is much more engaging than the tremendous boost of the turbo.

Thanks again Porsche of Olmsted and Cats Exotics -- you guys were GREAT!

Here are some vids (last one being my old turbo) and pics:

Accel1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQp5gaJfSuM
Accel2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Za39qGWZE
Walkaround: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2sNIXTMh5E

Turbo accel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrb390VGpI

Last edited by taylorcoleman; 11-14-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:01 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Looks great, too bad winter is coming and you can't drive it as much as one would like.

Enjoy it!

Old 11-14-2009, 03:01 PM
AlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the great videos and Congrats for your amazing new car!

-Alex

Old 11-14-2009, 03:02 PM
AlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to behold
Also, how much stiffer is the suspension on your new GT3 compared to your old Turbo?

I have heard it is a lot stiffer, but how would you Describe it?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 PM
rideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to all
Turbos are sweet, but the sound of a high revving NA motor is intoxicating. Glad you are enjoying the new car. Sounds bada$$ even in stock form.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Congrats again. My dealer call and mine is in and ready to go.
I will be picking it up on Tuesday morning.

-Troy

Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
The most boring thing about the Turbo is the exhaust note.... I even added a Techart exhaust and was still bored.... love the GT3!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 03:43 PM
jimxyz is on a distinguished road
Looks and sounds fantastic.
So that's what a brand new splitter looks like!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by avi8tir
The most boring thing about the Turbo is the exhaust note.... I even added a Techart exhaust and was still bored.... love the GT3!!!!
Hmm, Maybe a GMG Racing Titanium Cross-Over exhaust will solve your problem, ...

-Alex

Old 11-14-2009, 06:40 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
OK, so I cheaped out a little on the comparison, so here's a better shot at it:

* suspension
> GT3 -- superb, connected feel. Just dialed in perfectly. I feel every bump, but it's a pleasant feeling, not harsh. I can't tell much of a difference between the standard and stiffer setting. Feels like a sports car should.
> Turbo -- blah for excitement. Excellent for DD. I could tell the difference between the standard and stiffer setting. I put RSS sways on my Turbo which made a big difference in the corners, which is a must in a turbo IMHO.

* Exhaust note
> GT3 -- awesome, check vids
> Turbo -- lame stock. I put Fabspeed sport exhaust V3 on mine and the note was much improved (more baratone), but still not a screaming, wail of a sound. Some probably love the deep baratone sound -- didn't do much for me.

* Clearance
> GT3 -- crazy low. The suspension is reasonable for a DD (meaning you can carry a conversation without chattering your teeth), but the incredibly low clearance eliminates this car as a DD for most unless you live on the salt flats. Looks awesome though.
> Turbo -- excellent. Had no problems with speed bumps, my crazy driveway, etc. I dropped the car about 2" on H&R springs which got the turbo close to the clearance of the GT3, but not as much. Although the drop made the turbo look better, I probably would have put the stock springs back on since really no need for the turbo to be dropped unless you're tracking it.

* Wheels
> GT3 -- sick...see pics
> Turbo -- OK in looks, but heavy. Of course wheels can be easily (but $$) changed

* Acceleration
> GT3 -- definately fast, but probably feels faster than it is given the crazy RPM readline and NA wail.
> Turbo -- if crazy acceleration and speed is what you want, hands down, get the turbo

* Attention
> GT3 -- I've had more compliments, stares, and wows than the turbo
> Turbo -- stock, it's a beautiful car, but not a huge attention getter. I put a GT2 style wing on mine, dropped the car, put spacers on the wheels, put a Techard front LED kit on it, and that definately made it stand out more.

* Clutch
> GT3 -- very stiff, really makes you work for it
> Turbo -- comfortable, easy.

* Gears
> GT3 -- a little notchy/crunchy, very satisfying because you need to muscle it ever so gently. Nice short throws. Each gear lasts forever, even first, before next shift.
> Turbo -- very smooth, very nice. I put a short shifter on it and it was much improved. Not much time in each gear on hard acceleration---1st and 2nd are just so short.

* Interior
> GT3 -- mostly the same as turbo, save the alcantara and no rear seats.
> Turbo -- luxury look and feel. Beautiful factory white dials.

Overall, these are like night and day cars to me. The turbo is an incredible car -- super fast, tremendous mod potential, and the flagship 911. The GT3 is a pure race bred car (with the RS and Cup car in a different category) that can be driven daily. It's pure excitement, whereas the turbo got a little too cushy.

Again, to each is own. I'm a GT3 guy.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:52 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Awesome insight! I grew bored with my Turbo so quickly.... now with the GT3 only days away, I can hardly wait! My feeling on the Turbo is exactly the same as yours. Its funny though, I tell people Im getting a 911 GT3 and 95% of them say, "You already had a Turbo and didnt like it, why would you do that?"

Its clear that nobody knows how different these two cars are!!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Awesome insight! I grew bored with my Turbo so quickly.... now with the GT3 only days away, I can hardly wait! My feeling on the Turbo is exactly the same as yours. Its funny though, I tell people Im getting a 911 GT3 and 95% of them say, "You already had a Turbo and didnt like it, why would you do that?"

Its clear that nobody knows how different these two cars are!!
I can't even imagine how bad my anxiety would be if I was WAITING for "my" new GT3, .

Lots of vivid RWD, rear-end out, tire-smokin' dreams?!?

Congrats and Please post lots of pics!

-Alex

Old 11-14-2009, 07:09 PM
CarGuy56 will become famous soon enough
congrats on your new '10GT3

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Congrats and welcome to the club.. Love mine too

Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 AM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
T.C., now that was an informative comparison. Glad you are enjoying your 3 and thanks for posting the vids for all to see!!~Kenny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My New 2010 GT3: Review