GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 gt3rs or track car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:51 AM
The Animal is on a distinguished road
996 gt3rs or track car

Hi guys i currently have a full blown BMW E36 M3 endurace spec race car. And in 2 minds about getting a 996 gt3rs to have on the road and for the odd track day i dont see me doing more then 10 track days a year but finding the balance between abusing the 996 on the track to mix with road use a hard one on the inherent costs im going to get with abusing it on the track can anyone chime in who uses there RS on the track and road on in general how they found there running costs etc. Thanks.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-15-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: not enough posts
Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
The 996 GT3 RS's were not imported to the states (Altough there are a couple here).
I would not necessarily call 10 track days a year "abuse", but due to the low production run on the RS's, I would look at a regular MKII 996 GT3 which may not have all of the suspension goodies that the RS has out of the box but will satisfy your street/track fun needs for a much lower price.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
The abuse i was describing isnt in the amount of days its how hard the poor thing will be abused on the circuit it will have its poor neck wrung.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I suppose though you have a very valid point in the form of a normal 996Gt3 and the money saved just spend on some goodies like the exhaust system and suspension. I still have the dilema about how it copes with the abuse arms bushes gearbox and all the other bits when your working it under full load.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
It was designed to take that kind of abuse, so you will be just fine.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
It is but not truly at full on race pace all the time.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
You are doing "no more than 10 track days a year". Track days are not races. If you want a race car buy a used GT3 cup. If you want a street car that does great at "track days", buy a GT3, unless you are Walter Rohl (Who is entering a stock GT3Rs in the 24 hours of Nurburgring this year, by the way) I doubt you are going to be out driving the car. Get some good instruction, sticky tires, a good aggressive track alignment and go have fun.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
track days are far from "full on race pace"...very few non pros can drive a 996 GT3 to it's full capabilities...don't think you need to worry about the car...as long as you tech it and maintain it properly it will get you home...as Luis has suggested if you want to race get a cup car but you won't like the maintenance costs that go with a "full on race pace" Porsche

Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 AM
I already have a race car equivalent to a cup car that’s why i asked the question because im questioning if to have that much sunk into one and not use it that much but when i do use it it gets used hard i just needed some info on people who use there Gt3 / or RS's and how they have found it in general. Track days can be heavier on a car then a race because it’s being used for longer periods from 9am to 5pm.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 AM
T.K
T.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant future
I call bull****.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 AM
here you go its in the middle of being repainted also new engine being fitted as it went bang.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 AM
T.K
T.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant future
Still calling BS. Busting up a GT3, you're too god damn bad *** for us!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Believe what you want to believe my post was just for some feedback from others not to prove anything but here are the specs if anyone is interested.

Full 15cdv6 cage fully seam welded.
Grp panels
All glass plexi except the front screen
Custom MS bag tanks
4way Sachs race dampers
Car weight 1030kg
Engine CSL S54 BMW Vanos lock off .
Diff and gearbox coolers
Motec Digi dash and ecu.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 AM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The Animal
Hi guys i currently have a full blown BMW E36 M3 endurace spec race car. And in 2 minds about getting a 996 gt3rs to have on the road and for the odd track day i dont see me doing more then 10 track days a year but finding the balance between abusing the 996 on the track to mix with road use a hard one on the inherent costs im going to get with abusing it on the track can anyone chime in who uses there RS on the track and road on in general how they found there running costs etc. Thanks.
Quite a sentence there, not sure I fully grasp your question. Maintaining a GT3 RS for heavy track use can be expensive. Driving one every day on the street would, for me, be an unacceptable experience in discomfort. Only you can answer the question of affordability. I would keep the track car and buy a standard GT3 (or 997S) for the street.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Sorry didnt fully explain Was thinking of getting rid of the race car and suplimenting it with a gt3rs. But its sounding like it shouldnt be to bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 gt3rs or track car