GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3.2 Option Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Jon H... is on a distinguished road
GT3.2 Option Question

Those of you who have the Front Axel Lifting option are you glad you do?

If you don't have it, do you wish you did?

Also, is it possible to get a interior (via Porsche Exclusive) that is something other than black or grey?

Thanks, Jon

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
I use my axle lift nearly every time I drive the car. What little weight it adds is all low in the car. I consider it a must have. I wish my Spyder had it as I drag the damn front all the time.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I have the front axle lifting system, and it really works. I use it all the time. I love this option and will choose it again.

Regards,

Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 PM
10GT3 will become famous soon enough10GT3 will become famous soon enough
i do not have the front axle lift system and would not invest in it. with over 12,000 miles on my 10 gt3, never scraped yet. just need to know how to drive lowered cars (had mine lowered 10mm front and 15mm rear from stock.) plus you can buy quite a few front spoilers for the price of the lift system (less than 200 bucks) even if you do mangle it. very easy to install.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Don't have it, don't need it Florida is flat, if you live in the hills maybe..

Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Love it. Delighted I have it and use it all the time. My gen.1 car is impossible to get into an underground parking lot without scraping at the bottom of the ramp.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
buttons123 is on a distinguished road
Personally I would have the lift system every time.

Roads have to be really flat and in pretty good nick for you not to catch the spoiler but really depends on how you drive it and where.

If someone says they have never caught it "anywhere" they are doing extremely well. Got to weigh it up against cost, hassle, horrible scrape noise, etc., etc.

If you really want a different interior to dark grey which is the only spec, here in Europe you can speak to the personalization dept. and the team directly. For a price you can have ANY option interior........but remember for a price

Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
I am coming out of a 997 TT that had been lowered with Bilsteins installed; the front spoiler was almost 1/2 inch higher than the spoiler lip on my new 2010 GT3. However, for what ever reason, the GT3 seems a lot less likely to scrape than the Turbo. There are several areas where I have to be careful but if you approach dips from a diagonal direction, the GT3 appears to me to be much better that the TT even though it is lower in the front end - I haven't figured it out up, but I would not pay for the pneumatic lift.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
jbxea1 is on a distinguished road
I don't have the lift. I don't scrape at home, at work or at the track and only occassionally scrape in daily driving. I am always mindful of the ride height and drive over obstacles accordingly. For me, it was worth saving the dollars and the additional weight.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I have it, and it's a must. Anyone can drive at angles to avoid scrapes and it doesn't take a genius to know that. The one thing I'm happy about is you can use it when you get in a situation that won't allow you to properly take a grade. Like when there is traffic coming, or on the side of you and it prevents an angle attack. Mainly, it allows me to drive right up on my trailer without worry of dragging. If I didn't have the option, the cheap $200 spoiler would rip off everytime. I don't have to worry about the grade when loading, or anything. It's just easy and convenient. I haven't even brought up the changes in elevations of some country roads around my house that would also be a problem. A big one.

I know we all want to save weight. I understand that. But, to be pragmatic about the weight issue, it's silly to sit here and talk about all the weight savings unless you plan on racing the car in an event. Which none of us are doing. It doesn't matter that much even if you track the car and do DE's. The ability of the driver has way more to do with speed than a silly Porsche option.

Not trying to cause a fight here, but just see how you will own the car and decide from there. Some people have no need, some people like myself really like and need the option.

Last edited by cc08gt2; 08-30-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Mainly, it allows me to drive right up on my trailer without worry of draggin
I can even do that without removing lip now with MKIIRS I had to remove lip to drive MKI in the trailer. It was lowered some, not crazy.
Honestly, I never scrape with MKII, with the MKI I scraped 5x a day. It is set to OEM ride height, I did not lower it (Home track Sebring.)

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can even do that without removing lip now with MKIIRS I had to remove lip to drive MKI in the trailer. It was lowered some, not crazy.
Honestly, I never scrape with MKII, with the MKI I scraped 5x a day. It is set to OEM ride height, I did not lower it (Home track Sebring.)
Interesting. My trailer is a 40 ft. gooseneck that will hold 2 911's. My buddy has a MKI GT3, and his spoiler bends over to the point I think the whole front end is coming off. Mine doesn't touch. It has everything to do with the door, and mine isn't that steep. Each situation is different.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Same trailer in my case 44ft gooseneck, no way with MKI, I (Only just) make it with MKII. I have +/- 9ft foor with a +/- 5ft flap, but still not possible with MKI.

I think my difference is a little bit lowered on MKI and the higher splitter on the MKII.
Anyways, I never scrape, weird really I expect it at many places, but it surprises me by never touching the ground. Learning to brake what feels like 5ft away from the park stops and side walks is another matter ;-)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM
howardnew will become famous soon enough
I have a 997.2 GT3. I do not have the lift system, but considered it when purchasing as well. I do not think it is necessary. I have scraped during DD but this would have occurred with the mere 1.2 inch lift as well. There have been many times where there has been moving traffic behind me as I turned into a gas station or strip mall. If I waited to activate the system as I noted the entrance ramp being too steep I'm almost sure I would have been rear ended. There have been instances where a dip in the road was enough to get a light scrape. Regardless of whether you have the lift or not you will invariably scrape at some time when not expecting it. The cost of the lip is significantly cheaper than the lift and can be replaced as soon as you feel it is too beaten up.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I have scraped during DD but this would have occurred with the mere 1.2 inch lift as well.
It works not by the change of 1.2 inch height but rather the change of approach angle, a big difference. I have the front axle lifting system, and all I can say is that it works.

There have been many times where there has been moving traffic behind me as I turned into a gas station or strip mall. If I waited to activate the system as I noted the entrance ramp being too steep I'm almost sure I would have been rear ended.
The front axle lifting system takes only about a couple seconds to raise the front, and it can be done when the car is up to about 30mph. Yes, I use the lift driving into gas station or strip mall driveways here in the busy traffic Bay Area; and yes, it still give me enough time to raise the front without being rear-ended.

The cost of the lip is significantly cheaper than the lift and can be replaced as soon as you feel it is too beaten up.
I understand if we do not already have the front axle lifting system in our car, scapring the front lip and replacing it in times of needed can be rationalized. However, if we are going to order a new $120K+ GT3, I would recommend to spend the money on the front axle lifting system instead of spend on a bunch of replacement front lips.

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 08-31-2010 at 12:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 Option Question