GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

those w/ PCCB wear issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:29 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
those w/ PCCB wear issues...

here is my front driver after 2500 miles - notice lotsa pad left, rotors look fine, but pad discoloration, sand paper looking vs. smooth like the back half of the pad and the beginnings of what's in the 2nd and 3rd pics which are of the passenger front with chunks missing (looks like a sponge with pieces broken off) from the pad:

any feedback from anyone who knows about PCCB wear relative to what my pads are exhibiting? the good news is the front pads don't seem to be expensive (under $400/each) - relative to the crazy stradale pad prices.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:40 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
You should be OK. Didn't the yellow one at the factory have like 10,000KM of track time on the original rotors? Of course, I don't think the damn thing ever used brakes cuz it didn't seem to notice there were any corners

Old 04-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by quartermile
You should be OK. Didn't the yellow one at the factory have like 10,000KM of track time on the original rotors? Of course, I don't think the damn thing ever used brakes cuz it didn't seem to notice there were any corners
rotors are fine, it's the pads i'm wondering about.

lol re: the corners

i'd sure like to hear an update re: your GT3 progress.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Loren is on a distinguished road
The PCCB "street" pads for the TT and GT2 are the same part number as the CGT (980 351 939 00) for a complete set.
For the CGT the front and rear pads are the same. For the TT and GT2 they are different.
Sport Driving/"Standard Pad"
Standard Equipment
Good all-round properties, even for sporty driving. Good fading stability, e.g. when traveling along mountain passes. Suitable for racing circuits; however at very high operating temperatures there is greater wear on the pads compared with the racing pads.
New as of February 2004 - Black finish on all lateral pad surfaces; white stripes on the lateral pad surfaces of the retaining pin bores. Previously - Black finish on all lateral pad surfaces; red and blue stripes on the lateral pad surfaces of the retaining pin bores.
For the TT and GT2 there is a TSB that recommends Porsche MotorSport pads for "for racing or racing circuits".
Brake Pad For Racing Use
These pads can only be retrofitted at the racing circuit. Not for street use. Reduced wear on the pad at high operating temperatures. Higher tendency to squeal as compared to standard pad. Higher pedal force required at low operating temperature. All pad side areas are light green.
So, theoretically, you could use the MotorSport pads for the track by using : 996 351 940 92 (2 sets) for both the front and rear. These have no sensors so you would also need the sensor jumper kit: 964 612 026 70 (4 needed).

Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Loren
The PCCB "street" pads for the TT and GT2 are the same part number as the CGT (980 351 939 00) for a complete set.
For the CGT the front and rear pads are the same. For the TT and GT2 they are different.

For the TT and GT2 there is a TSB that recommends Porsche MotorSport pads for "for racing or racing circuits".

So, theoretically, you could use the MotorSport pads for the track by using : 996 351 940 92 (2 sets) for both the front and rear. These have no sensors so you would also need the sensor jumper kit: 964 612 026 70 (4 needed).
Thanks Loren, but I'm using these for the street and enjoy how quiet they are. Looking at those pictures, are they in need of change or is this just how they wear and they have some life left? TIA

Old 04-17-2005, 10:37 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by ben, lj
rotors are fine, it's the pads i'm wondering about.

lol re: the corners

i'd sure like to hear an update re: your GT3 progress.
I would compare the wear to the CS. Somewhat similar cars with the same insane driver anway.

GT3 firs pass is done, I am just waiting on the wheels ... got the Cup decklid about a week back, getting it painted next week along with the hood. Weight should be right at 2800lbs and I will be running the GT3 cup intakes as well. I'll bring it by your place one of these days and we'll do an earthquake simulation on your house. The thing is so isnanely fast, it's scary.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:47 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
I would compare the wear to the CS. Somewhat similar cars with the same insane driver anway.

GT3 firs pass is done, I am just waiting on the wheels ... got the Cup decklid about a week back, getting it painted next week along with the hood. Weight should be right at 2800lbs and I will be running the GT3 cup intakes as well. I'll bring it by your place one of these days and we'll do an earthquake simulation on your house. The thing is so isnanely fast, it's scary.
I'm nearby too...can I see?

Old 04-17-2005, 10:49 PM

your car sounds onery and i'm anxious to see it when you are finished (are you ever finished? )!

can't compare to the CS because a) it used a completely different pad - no brake dust ever vs. plenty on the CGT b) i sold it a week or two ago and c) i only drove it half the miles i've already driven the CGT.

Last edited by ben, lj; 04-17-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:16 PM
your car sounds onery and i'm anxious to see it when you are finished (are you ever finished? )!

can't compare to the CS because a) it used a completely different pad - no brake dust ever vs. plenty on the CGT b) i sold it a week or two ago and c) i only drove it half the miles i've already driven the CGT.
Technicaly I'll be done when the weight is at 2600lbs and Koro has done a 5.0 litter conversion. But in the mean time I am driving the hell out of it SuperD you should join us on of Ben's drives, once he get his brakes fixed.

Good move on the CS. Now ditch the CGT, I think you are ready for the world's REAL fastest street legal supercar. 0-60 in 2.3 sec, 150MPH quartermile, 1000hp at 2100lbs.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:20 PM
SuperD has already been out with us!

Old 04-17-2005, 11:40 PM
SuperD has already been out with us!
Daymn ... I don't recall a 6WD 911. Which one was Super D?

I swear the ride is nearly as shocking as the CGT but closer to Nascar than Lear Jet. We'll invite Super D as an impartial observer ...

Old 04-18-2005, 09:47 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Daymn ... I don't recall a 6WD 911. Which one was Super D?

I swear the ride is nearly as shocking as the CGT but closer to Nascar than Lear Jet. We'll invite Super D as an impartial observer ...

Umm....I really think I'll need to test drive both and do a thorough comparison to be fair...

Old 04-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Super D
Umm....I really think I'll need to test drive both and do a thorough comparison to be fair...
do you know a place w/out any poles?

Old 04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
do you know a place w/out any poles?
Why?...I think poles are pretty nice, especially the women!..

Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Super D
Why?...I think poles are pretty nice, especially the women!..
lol, i knew that was coming

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: those w/ PCCB wear issues...