GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Oil and engine temperature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 PM
baaash is on a distinguished road
GT3 Oil and engine temperature

Hi, I have a porsche, it has around 7000 miles, not taken to track much in the past.
tonight I drove it a bit hard then got stuck in traffic on the way back, the tripe duration was around 1 hour.
I noticed an increase in temperature in oil

thanks !

Last edited by baaash; 08-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
Well, I've driven my car pretty hard on the streets and my water temp has never gone above the 1/2 way mark and my oil has never seen those temps. I know on the track, those oil temps are seen but I don't know how often.

How many miles on the oil and what are you running?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM
the oil is used about 3000 miles and was changed 7 month back, it is changed at the dealer and am using mobile1. I checked the level today and it was almost full.

this high temperature went up while in traffic but am worried, I will watch it for couple of days

Last edited by baaash; 08-02-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
It's time to change your oil. I usually change mine out every 2,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I also use Motul Xcess 5/40.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 PM
jakegt3 is on a distinguished road
I think you are fine. I've seen oil and coolant temperatures like that on a hot day at the track, and I know other GT3 owners have, too. The engine will be OK as long as you stay out of the red zone.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I think you are OK as well. I would definitely change the oil more frequently if I see it getting hot like that. Maybe every 4-5 months, but I may be a bit too OCD - check with your mechanic just to be sure.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
I live in a warm zone and regularly see oil temps up to 95* especially in traffic with air temps in the 40's. Don't worry just keep an eye on oil pressure (over 1 bar at idle) plus change the oil (good quality as directed by the hand book) as often as you can afford.

Cheers
Jay

Old 08-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks guys for your advice, I will definitely change the oil at Porsche workshop. I will ask them to check... will do this soon, I am a bit careful when it is engine temperature.

cheers everyone

Last edited by baaash; 08-02-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks like your pressure is siting below the 1 in your pic. Was your car at idle.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Good spot. If the pressure is dropping below 1 bar at idle I would look at using something like Mobil 1 Race 5W-50.

Mine holds 1.2-1.6 bar when steaming hot.

Cheers
Jay

Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
I dropped the car at Porsche workshop, oil is changed. no leaks and no issues, they kept the car for a road test in the morning. they told me we have to re program the computer setup of the car and the car will be Ok. they sounded confident that the car is running normal. will test it tom

Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Pretty sure one of the current service campaigns here is for erratic oil pressure readings and requires the ECU be reprogrammed. Sounds like that's what they're doing. Also have them check to see if WC09 is applicable. That's a revised micro clutch switch.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by ChrisEVO
Pretty sure one of the current service campaigns here is for erratic oil pressure readings and requires the ECU be reprogrammed. Sounds like that's what they're doing. Also have them check to see if WC09 is applicable. That's a revised micro clutch switch.
that's exactly what they are doing, reprogramming the control unit.
also they confirmed that the other recall will be done, the change of Clutch Pedal Switch.

yet the car is delayed 1 day, they said the new codes were not accepted by the ECU!!

Last edited by baaash; 08-02-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
I've seen the oil temp around 250F / 120C regularly on track.

It needs to go over that to get High Temp warning followed by limp mode, I never had that happen.
You need an 100F / 38C day on a short track (Less cooling) with lots of full throttle sections AND stick you nose under the rear bumper of the car in front to over heat these cars..

If it is oil temp, you are fine. Dont worry, just drive.

Coolant temp should never go over 175F / 80C. If it does something is wrong.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM
the car is serviced and checked, ECU is reprogrammed and clutch switch replaced
took the car for test drive, all was good the oil temp is normal and the pressure above 1 bar at idle

Last edited by baaash; 08-02-2013 at 08:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Oil and engine temperature