GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 or C7 Z06?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
bumpinjeep is on a distinguished road
991 GT3 or C7 Z06?

For those who have ordered a 991 GT3 or on the fence on getting the newest GT3, with the recent announcement of the C7 Z06, are you getting cold feet or thinking about swapping an order to the Vette? The Z06 with the Z07 package should have the performance of the CGT at the price of a C2S and for once actually looks like a Super Car.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
I have this discussion often with myself and others - To calibrate, I am lucky to not be capital constrained and I can buy what I want - having said that, If I could only have one, it would be the GT3 hands down - It is the complete package - handling, steering, engine, dynamics, german engineering, build, quality fit and finish and just outright performance. The Corvette has - from a two dimensional perspective, the numbers - 0-60, roadholding (lateral Gs), braking perhaps and price - but it is and will never be the total package, performance car that is the GT3..... Corvette owners can and should be proud of the car - on paper, she is an amazing car, but when the rubber meets the road, it is not a GT3. And I embrace that the GT3 is 2x+++ more expensive so any comparison is not really fair. And folks who have to stretch to buy a Corvette should rightly be "car proud" and speak of the numbers it produces on paper -

Now, will I buy a Corvette? Well, maybe - it would be a blast to beat on for a few months .... but not live with....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	321705  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
I have been thinking a lot about this lately as well. I had a 2014 Corvette on order and took a pass on purchasing the car in Sept. when it came in as I knew the Z06 was around the corner and I wouldn't be satisfied not owning the "top dog."

I recently drove a few 997.2 GT3's and think they were awesome. However, last November I borrowed a buddy's brand new 2014 C7 with the Z51 package. The sticker on his car was $72k. I am very, very impressed with this car. You need to drive this car to appreciate it. I do not feel there are many compromises with the new Corvette. The power is intoxicating, handling is very sharp and predictable and the fit and finish was great. No, the interior does not feel like a Porsche but I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed to own one. I want to drive the 991 GT3 but for now I have my name on the list for the new Z06. Being on a Porsche forum you will likely get many more votes for the GT3. Pose the same question on a Corvette forum and guess which car will receive more praise?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
It's basically a better handling ZR1 with a nicer interior. A great car. The supercharger may not be ideal for extended lap sessions either. And the powertrain has a lot less in common with the actual C7R than the GT3 does with it's USC/FIA counterparts.

My guess is it will sway less people considering the GT3 as opposed to the C7 vs. the C2S.

Edit - GT3s are tracked by a very high percentage of owners. The new DCT may even attract more. If some dislike the DCT, then perhaps the Z06 and the Viper GTS will compete for buyers.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 01-15-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM
BOXER12 is on a distinguished road
'Some would say' the Teutonic engineered GT3 lacks passion, lacks road feel, lacks the driver/car connection of a three pedal car, lacks the outright performance of its competitors (Topgear Mag “Supercar of the Year” 458 Speciale)...but... a Porsche is a better car than a Chevy (if price is no object).

Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I have both on order. My buddy (who was one slot ahead of me at our dealer) gets his GT3 next week. I'll decide if I'm going to keep my GT3 order after I spend some time with his car over the next few months. I have another friend who wants my spot, so we'll see.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
FLAT6KING will become famous soon enoughFLAT6KING will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by alevine
I have been thinking a lot about this lately as well. I had a 2014 Corvette on order and took a pass on purchasing the car in Sept. when it came in as I knew the Z06 was around the corner and I wouldn't be satisfied not owning the "top dog." I recently drove a few 997.2 GT3's and think they were awesome. However, last November I borrowed a buddy's brand new 2014 C7 with the Z51 package. The sticker on his car was $72k. I am very, very impressed with this car. You need to drive this car to appreciate it. I do not feel there are many compromises with the new Corvette. The power is intoxicating, handling is very sharp and predictable and the fit and finish was great. No, the interior does not feel like a Porsche but I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed to own one. I want to drive the 991 GT3 but for now I have my name on the list for the new Z06. Being on a Porsche forum you will likely get many more votes for the GT3. Pose the same question on a Corvette forum and guess which car will receive more praise?
I'm a GT3 guy too and I was thinking about the Z06 too. Price is the thing that is attractive to me. Not sure, GTR, Z06, or a pre-loved 991GT3? Decisions......

Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Am I going to be the first person that says..... "Its a chevy"??

Im sorry, but in the real world, we never come close to pushing these cars to their full potential. True that, on paper, the new Z06 is amazing, but the interior is still crap compared to Porsche.

6.2L Supercharged V8 vs a 3.8 naturally aspirated flat six. Looks like german engineering wins again.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
It's basically a better handling ZR1 with a nicer interior. A great car. The supercharger may not be ideal for extended lap sessions either. And the powertrain has a lot less in common with the actual C7R than the GT3 does with it's USC/FIA counterparts.

My guess is it will sway less people considering the GT3 as opposed to the C7 vs. the C2S.

Edit - GT3s are tracked by a very high percentage of owners. The new DCT may even attract more. If some dislike the DCT, then perhaps the Z06 and the Viper GTS will compete for buyers.
What does the new gt3's powertrain have in common w / its cup counterpart???

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM
FLAT6KING will become famous soon enoughFLAT6KING will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kosmo69
What does the new gt3's powertrain have in common w / its cup counterpart???
The cup car is 4.0 liters and the GT3 is 3.8. The two are essentially the same this season last year the cup car ran the Metzger engine and the GT3 used the then new DFI motor. Other did differences are in the valve train and engine internals. So to answer your question they share: block, valve train (basics, cup uses titanium valves), fuel delivery, headers, and I think the cup car's engine is hard mounted to the chassis. Close but not a virtual street clone like the 997 GT3.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
For me it is not a "price" thing at all. Which one would you want in 10 years? 20 years? I know my answer. Which one would teach you about "how to drive" and not just be a "point and shoot" car. For those that do more with their car than just stop light drag races and burnouts, the two cars are completely different. To me, for a pure driver experience on the track, nothing beats the driver involvement of the 911. I personally rank the track/driving dynamics of the rear engine layout >mid engine>front engine. It is simple physics for me. The front engine car must brake before the turn, or else too much weight is dynamically forward, and the rear end will be way too light. It becomes a point and shoot car. Brake hard, turn in and hold on, then carefully try not to spin out under throttle until the straight, where you floor it. Not to make fun of it, but it is very "Nascar" to me. The mid engine car is not as perfect as everyone would think, IMO. The mid engine design requires a long wheelbase, and the center of gravity is too high. For a novice driver, it will feel the most neutral, there is more room for error on entry than the front engine car, and corner exit mistakes generally drift the whole car to track out. BUT....the beauty that no one ever acknowledges(even with all of the "guru" internet driver/reviewers) is how dynamically fun (and near perfect) a 911 can be. The flat 6 is lighter than most, and sits very very low, so center of gravity is as low as can be. The rear engine allows the driver to trail brake into the corner, and overlap braking and acceleration, balancing the car to perfection. It is pure driver involvement and incredibly fun when you finally figure it out. My brother and I call it "the dance". When one trail brakes, it dynamically moves the weight forward, and the front will grip and turn to your desire, then, balancing the dynamic weight transfer towards the center first, then more rearward, when overlapping gas/brake, allows the driver to feel the balance of the car at the apex. As soon as you past apex, the smooth increase in application of throttle moves the dynamic weight even further back to the rear, and there is such amazing grip under acceleration when done properly. Does it take time to learn to carry speed deep into the turn, knowing a calm knowledgable driver can safely manage the car dynamics? oh yes....but the learning is half the fun. And when done to perfection, the corners can feel so so perfect, I don't even need to check the lap time...I already know. But, that is just my 2 cents..

Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
White looks pretty good.........

Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alevine
I have been thinking a lot about this lately as well. I had a 2014 Corvette on order and took a pass on purchasing the car in Sept. when it came in as I knew the Z06 was around the corner and I wouldn't be satisfied not owning the "top dog."

I recently drove a few 997.2 GT3's and think they were awesome. However, last November I borrowed a buddy's brand new 2014 C7 with the Z51 package. The sticker on his car was $72k. I am very, very impressed with this car. You need to drive this car to appreciate it. I do not feel there are many compromises with the new Corvette. The power is intoxicating, handling is very sharp and predictable and the fit and finish was great. No, the interior does not feel like a Porsche but I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed to own one. I want to drive the 991 GT3 but for now I have my name on the list for the new Z06. Being on a Porsche forum you will likely get many more votes for the GT3. Pose the same question on a Corvette forum and guess which car will receive more praise?
Your concern is IDENTICAL to mine regarding Stingray vs Z06.

The wife loves the new 'Vette. She is getting one. Almost pulled the trigger, then I learned about the new 8sp auto, and now the Z06. This new Z06 is a flat-out MONSTER! 625HP and even more torque? That is utterly insane.

I've seen rumors of the Z06 being fully loaded under $100k (even saw MSRP base $79k). That would make it the buy of the century. So I asked the wife if we could compromise and get all of the features she wanted in the Stingray, and just get the Z06 (so we could share the car). She doesn't need all of that power, and she knows it (and frankly I'm concerned about traction in various conditions/locations/etc...).

Originally Posted by BOXER12
'Some would say' the Teutonic engineered GT3 lacks passion, lacks road feel, lacks the driver/car connection of a three pedal car, lacks the outright performance of its competitors (Topgear Mag “Supercar of the Year” 458 Speciale)...but... a Porsche is a better car than a Chevy (if price is no object).
... And some may not.

I hope to judge for myself some day.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM
dertub is on a distinguished road
I've had both. Your Corvette will eventually fall apart and slowly rattle away.

GT3 hands down.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
I enjoyed my C6 Z06 for 10k miles over two years including numerous track days. It was a fast and powerful car that could take a lot of punishment. But the Vette always felt so big to me. Not heavy, just big. I like the dimensions of the 991 better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 or C7 Z06?