Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

PCCB and ride quality...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
PCCB and ride quality...

Although ride quality isn't a huge issue...I would like to know if anyone has driven a GT3 with PCCBs and steel (watt???), and if you notice any difference in the ride quality from the decrease in unsprung weight.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:25 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
chris,

i was thinking aBOUT it this morning on the way in.

pccb doesn't negatively affect handling at all, it does improve braking. i can not specifically feel the unsprung difference. if anything i think my pccb car handled better [maybe that's why!], but it's been 2 months... and i may just be reacting to the "bounciness" of the GT3 relative to the "stiffness" of my GT2 with corsas. the GT3 feels more like 300 # lighter than a gt2, even tho's it's 125# lighter than mine

Old 11-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Watt...

Thanks for your input...

I thought if anything, a GT2 w/ PCCBs might have better ride qualties since it has lighter unsprung weight on the wheels. Now that you've driven both a steel brake and PCCBs on your GT2/3, and you had to choose again, which would it be...steel or PCCB??? I'm thinking to cancel PCCBs on my order and go with steel since most of my driving will be street and canyon, just like you! Thanks for all the help Watt

Old 11-12-2003, 03:38 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
for a GT2, there's no option of course, but in a gt3, i don't know that i'd pay 8K extra, i am deal motivated so i buy what's cheapest relative to value at the time....
and i'm not a good enuf driver for it to make any difference

Old 11-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks again for all the help!!! I'm going to see if I can do a test drive of one and see. But looks like I'm just going to go with steel...THX!

-Chris

Old 11-15-2003, 10:53 AM
twisted is infamous around these parts
GT3 PCCB 'bounciness'

watt,

Was it not said by one of the Porsche engineers that they did not setup the GT3 suspension for the unsprung weight difference of PCCB? I believe they even went on to say that they estimated that it would not be worth the cost/effort to readjust the suspension (struts / shocks) based on the number or should we say the lack of PCCB GT3 cars they expected to sell.

To me the "bounciness" of the GT3 with PCCB is very noticeable and at time a bit too much. It feels to me that the suspension has too much 'bump' set in the shocks.

Old 11-15-2003, 01:28 PM
twisted...

So you feel that a GT3 w/ PCCBs is bouncier than one without PCCBs?

The GT3 suspension is only height adjustable right? The shocks are not adjustable at all, right?

Old 11-15-2003, 03:28 PM
twisted is infamous around these parts
The extra weight of a steal brake system over PCCB can cause the suspension to bounce more. Porsche decided not to re-valve the shocks and struts for the lighter weight of the PCCB system, instead they only supply the struts and shocks that were setup / designed for the steal brakes. It is too bad that they did not supply the cars (GT2 & GT3) with adjustable shocks and struts, as in bump and rebound.

Old 11-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks twisted...

With all the problems with PCCBs (uneven pad wear, horrible warranty support, etc)...I'm going to look for a steel car. It's just not worth the extra $8k.