Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Who here has a roll bar in their 911?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 PM
AudiGuy is infamous around these parts
Who here has a roll bar in their 911?

I have a friend that is looking to get the porsche factory roll bar for his GT3. For those that do have it, what are the downsides? What things would you do differently had you made it? Besides the porsche one, who else makes these kits? Any reccomendations?

Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
DASport and Autopower makes them too. I dont have one, but I will be getting one soon.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 AM
AudiGuy is infamous around these parts
His current car is a 996 GT3, but he is thinking of going to a 997 GT3 in the future, will he be able to just transfer the roll bar over or are the 2 bodys different?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
The 996GT3 will not fit the 997GT3.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:20 AM
doccao is infamous around these parts
Ditto...I just purchased 996 GT3 seats, TQ rollcage & harness from a guy who moved onto a 997 GT3.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:38 PM
stuart997gt3 has a spectacular aura aboutstuart997gt3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AudiGuy
I have a friend that is looking to get the porsche factory roll bar for his GT3. For those that do have it, what are the downsides? What things would you do differently had you made it? Besides the porsche one, who else makes these kits? Any reccomendations?
i've been looking into this the last couple day's---here goes,i've been told t/quiptment bar will not fit us production cars cause they were made to fit non sunroof cars! next is gmg bar sounds good . i spoke to them and asked how many did they install they said around 20.i think that is an inflated# unless i miss understood them? he said they have a local install guy , i spoke to them sounds good but they haven't installed one on a 2007 gt3! next choise is DAS SPORT rollbar it can be installed by some porsche dealerships. i dont have all deatiles on this yet ,i'm waiting for a call back with pictures and priceing.another thing installation must be very carefuf not to rip alcantera head liner,does install guy's remove it first? not to damage it ? and what about center console remove or not? direct mount ..to what?drill holes? cut carpet? their are a lot of questions to be asked,for me to be able to do this right.we have to get input from others who have had this work done.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
The Teq roll bar is a very tight fit and is a two man jobs. If DYI, it will be easier if remove the front seats and protect the dash and steering wheel. One lift the other wrench. GL.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Jim911 is infamous around these parts
safety device makes the best fit and finish avail. as bar or cage with side intrusion bars.The Porsche bars are mostly cosmetic

Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
The Teq roll bar is a very tight fit and is a two man jobs. If DYI, it will be easier if remove the front seats and protect the dash and steering wheel. One lift the other wrench. GL.
it will go in a lot easier if you take cargo straps and tension the legs front to back and across the back inward...otherwise it will fight you big time...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:20 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
DAS SPORT here...BIG fan...great fitment...

Old 02-22-2007, 01:51 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I have a 2003 GT2 and considered a number of different roll bars. If you friend has a 996 GT3 he could go with a GMG bar, a Porsche Tech Equip. bar or a Porsche factory cage (GT3 RS/Clubsport cage). Both the GMG and the Tech Equip bar bolt in where the seat belts connect. They are legal for DE, but not for club racing. The GMG bar is chromemolly const. and has a swoop in the bar behind the driver seat offering about 2" of additional lateral movement in the drivers seat to the rear. They will powdercoat any color you wish, which is nice, it is well built and fits in perfectly. A good option to the Factory Tech Equip. bar.

If you plan to race you need to step up to the Factory GT3 RS/Clubsport cage from Porsche, which is a bolt in cage and requires holes in the car, but is stronger and safer. You do not have to put in the front section, but can when you go to the track. I am sure GMG can also make their bar a bolt in application if you wish.

For most applications the GMG or Tech Equip. bar give a nice added margin of safety. If you are going racing in the future read the rules before you make your choice.

Das Sport is another option, but I have not had anything from them since my 944 Turbo in 1992.

JCM

Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AudiGuy
Best rollbar for safety, appearance and money is TC Design's. Milpitas, CA. I have it in my GT3. It's a work of art, and SOLID!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Formula1 is infamous around these parts
I've got the GT3 seats and Teq bar with Stroth harnesses in my 996 GT3. The front seats will have to come out to put the bar in. The Teq bar is not the strongest bar, but it is far from just cosmetic. I've seen multiple videotapes of GT3's with the bar that rolled over at the track and the roof has held up well.

From what I've read on Rennlist, the 996 GT3 seats will fit in the 997 GT3, but it's uncertain if the 996 GT3 Teq bar will fit. I don't know of anyone who has tried it yet.

Last edited by Formula1; 02-23-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:16 PM
HooliganX is a splendid one to beholdHooliganX is a splendid one to beholdHooliganX is a splendid one to beholdHooliganX is a splendid one to beholdHooliganX is a splendid one to beholdHooliganX is a splendid one to behold
I have the GMG roll bar and have been very happy with it. The fit and finish is very nice and I like that it's chromealloy versus the stainless steel of the factory bar.

They will do any color you like in it. I got black so it's a bit more "stealth" than the silver techequipment bar.

- Jon

Old 02-23-2007, 08:11 PM
doc2s is infamous around these parts
996 teq. bar fits 997gt3. i had one in my 997s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who here has a roll bar in their 911?