Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Why are Lambo values falling more than Ferraris'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 AM
ccantrell is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CURI0
Exactly, and using used car guarantees/incentives as reasoning for why why one car may have an advantage over another is ridiculous to begin with.
When I posted, I was under the impression it was just for Lamborghini. Sorry & thanks for clarifying.

With that said, "prove" might have been a bad choice of words. I merely was coming from the perspective of ... wow, a used car dealer (especially in this market segment) offering terms like this must say something about the product quality, which is an advantage & important to me.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
norcal2 is infamous around these parts
"What I know is the asking price for F-Cars is they are inflated compared to what they will take for the cars. Since they have a bigger network of dealers, more cars to sell, more sellers wanting to get more $$ than the wholesale pricing dealers will offer, my belief is the "published & asking prices" are inflated as a whole. Independent offers are then compared to retail prices and therefore what you see is not true, sold car pricing."
430 owners paid a hefty premium over and above list price and above what a Gallardo cost to begin with when they were new..so the 430 owners are in it for more $$... so compare what the 430 owners actually paid for the cars and asking prices and you will not see much of a difference. I know the local dealer wanted a 45k premium when i was looking at a 430....

Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by norcal2
"What I know is the asking price for F-Cars is they are inflated compared to what they will take for the cars. Since they have a bigger network of dealers, more cars to sell, more sellers wanting to get more $$ than the wholesale pricing dealers will offer, my belief is the "published & asking prices" are inflated as a whole. Independent offers are then compared to retail prices and therefore what you see is not true, sold car pricing."
430 owners paid a hefty premium over and above list price and above what a Gallardo cost to begin with when they were new..so the 430 owners are in it for more $$... so compare what the 430 owners actually paid for the cars and asking prices and you will not see much of a difference. I know the local dealer wanted a 45k premium when i was looking at a 430....
Thats a great point. Buying a new 08 Gallardo was 225-250k as was the sticker price...the 08 430 with a 225k sticker price was selling for more like 275.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 AM
m'ster is infamous around these parts
Why is it that ferrari people always are so defensive about their cars? Maybe they recognize that the actual cost to build their cars in materials is less than the lambo counterpart ... so why the extra premium????? If the extra money is not going into the car, what are you paying for? the name? or the F1 budget to try and keep the name?

Ferrari has done their research on their customers and realizes that some of them get a "kick" out of spending so much money ... just ask any service tech if they are worth it. If ferrari people pride themselves on their financial prowess, then I would believe that they understand how business is run ... you , collectively, are subsidizing the world's largest F1 budget to keep that "aura" (yeah Madoff had that "aura" too and was able to part supposedly intelligent people from their money as well) Do remember that Enzo lost his company too and was not interested in making road cars, just race cars and used the road cars to subsidize his race program ... not any different today.

To each their own, but most of us have owned or at the very least driven both marques and I recently drove a friend's f430 spyder only to come away with amazing disappointment. My comment following the drive was "$260k, no way for this car ... $100k yes" many of my firends do own ferraris and lamborghinis ... they buy for different reasons. IMO, Lamborghini is a far more "raw" driving experience and outside of an Enzo the power delivery of all lambos I have driven is far superior and aggressive.

Again, it is personal preference and I just prefer the driving experience of lambos ... do not really like either cars attention getting prowess ... can be a pain in the ***.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM
gtr6speed is infamous around these parts
you'd get different responses if this topic was in the Ferrari section.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:23 PM
BLKM3 is infamous around these parts
Lamborghini is just a better car. Hahahaha. But in all seriousness, Lamborghini in my opinion is a better car. Much more rare, faster, more amenities, looks better etc.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
davey1015 is infamous around these parts
its good for me, i want a gallardo

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 AM
valentone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by olegs
A 04 Gallardo listed for 165-170k. They are now selling for 115-120 for nice ones. That's not bad for a 5 year old car with not such a great reputation. A 360 Spider, unless you are extremely lucky, would have set you back 220-230k. That car now is selling for about 165k.
That is a little on the high side($165K)pertaining to the spider. They are more in the high $120-$130K's now. Which again is still respectable after 5 years for a car that listed for $177-$186K new.
I think that part of it boils down to the heritage and the disparity between the type of customer that is looking at both of these vehicles.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 AM
valentone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rmani
f430s spyders do not sell for 165k. you'd be hard pressed to find an f430 coupe for that price. the spyders still list for well over 200k. i do agree with your point on the gallardos though the % of value lost is pretty damn good all said and done. Normal cars lose about 40% over 3 years, 50% over 5 years.
I would say that the 430 spiders with sub 5K miles list for close to $200K. Coupes are in the $120K's Otherwise you are spot on about the normal depreciation in cars but these are not normal cars as they are not driven so.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:08 PM
gtr6speed is infamous around these parts
04 Gallardo's are being sold at $90-110k at the present moment. Prices being asked for and prices being sold at are 2 different things.

In regards to the F-cars being sold at premiums brand new, well, there's a reason for that. Alot more demand than supply.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
this is a silly thread...

depreciation - as someone said already, we should view this as money spent to get your dream experience. it's not how much money you lost.

gallardo vs 360/430 debate - buy what you like. why debate which is better based on radio buttons (substitute any other audi sourced parts) or depreciation? someone wants a ferrari will get one, even if it means 20k more in deprecation. if that deters you from ownership of a prancing horse, i guess you just aren't ready for the maint bills either.

My advice to any one serious about these cars is to test drive both. If you have never driven or owned any, please do so before you make theoretical remarks about something you haven't even experienced. These aren't investments. They are luxury items, surge and rewards for your hard work.

I wanted a 430. When I got serious about buying, I realized how much trouble a F360 / 430 will bring. All sorts of fuel leak, water hose leak, and other issues will just ruin my ownership experience on top of money spent on buying the car. If I owned a learjet or have $10M in asset, I'd get 2 ferraris and just drive the one that isn't in the shop. Until then, I will take a gallardo with reliable german radio buttons that aren't sticky like in the 360 or 430 I just want something modern, exotic and works. Not something tempermental.

Last edited by djantlive; 10-10-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
I agree. Say what you want, but the test drive will tell all. I drove an F430 and a Gallardo back to back and couldn't resist the styling, sound, and overall feel of the Lambo. It had nothing to do with maintenance or reliability. I'm a car enthusiast and I love both brands one was a better choice for me than the other.

As for as depreciation, I went into this purchase (and would have thought the same with a Ferrari) knowing it would be worth $10k, 20k, 30k less by the time I sell it. Oh well, if you're worried about that you should buy an Acura, the hold their values well.