Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Insurance for S vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Insurance for S vs Turbo

I'm curious if anyone has yet priced the insurance coverage on their Macan. I asked my Allstate agent for pricing today, but the Macan wasn't in their database yet. I'm wondering if the coverage on Turbo will be higher than S, and by how much, due to added power and replacement cost.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm curious if anyone has yet priced the insurance coverage on their Macan. I asked my Allstate agent for pricing today, but the Macan wasn't in their database yet. I'm wondering if the coverage on Turbo will be higher than S, and by how much, due to added power and replacement cost.
I haven't priced it but I feel the insurance depends on region , age , driving history . etc . For example even with my modified Turbo I pay less for insurance than my girlfriend pays for her 24 year old son on a Civic . I also have a ton of coverage (umbrella , etc) so I might pay more than someone else who gets simple basic coverage .

My guess is that a mature driver with a good history might notice a minimal difference but not enough to be a purchase dealbreaker .

Old 04-03-2014, 11:01 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I'm sure there will be a difference, but how much is going to vary widely between drivers, insurance companies, coverages, states, etc. Just look at a Cayenne or 911 which both have similar models, and the base or S models are in different insurance classes than the Turbo models, which are generally a "class 25" in insurance speak, the highest/most expensive class of vehicle there is.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM
09RedGTS is infamous around these parts
My guess is its not a lot of difference. My 09 Cayenne GTS came in at only $800/yr compared to the $500 for full coverage I was paying for my old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. I was expecting a lot more.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
My guess is its not a lot of difference. My 09 Cayenne GTS came in at only $800/yr compared to the $500 for full coverage I was paying for my old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. I was expecting a lot more.
I think a 60% increase isn't insignificant. But in real dollars, i agree it isn't much in your case. I am mainly curious about how much extra a Turbo will cost than an S. With my Carreras, my insurance company always asked if it was a Turbo, since the coverage was much more expensive on Turbos.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
And the difference you pay for insurance between the two with your coverages in your state at your age with your insurance company with your driving record has obsolutely no bearing on what somebody else will pay...

Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 AM
TripleL is infamous around these parts
I had checked with Met a few weeks ago and nothing in the database then either.

It's still about 6 weeks til US launch date so there is time. Now that I think about it I don't believe we have final EPA numbers either. Ahhh to be an early adopter

Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
when I got my 13' audi s6, I was one of the first deliveries in the states. when I went to insure the car, the car was too new and they didn't have it in their data base either. my agent manually entered the car and gave me the same rate as they would on A6 3.0T.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by MikeL
when I got my 13' audi s6, I was one of the first deliveries in the states. when I went to insure the car, the car was too new and they didn't have it in their data base either. my agent manually entered the car and gave me the same rate as they would on A6 3.0T.
Lucky you. I expect that when they update their database, they'll be hitting you up for an upward adjustment to your premium.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 AM
drheather is infamous around these parts
Waiting for Liberty Mutual quote

Hoping to get my Macan S in June-Liberty Mutual doesn't have numbers yet but guessing it will be similar to Cayenne prices.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:15 PM
slw23 is infamous around these parts
So... coming close to my purchase decision and quite honestly, when I saw this thread a little while back, I thought to myself, how bad can it really be?

Just got a quote on the Macan Turbo using my vin, premium goes from $550 every 6 months on my 2011 base 958 to $1350.

I mean, that is just pure craziness. The the delta in purchase price between the vehicles is $25k, we're not talking about a $175k exotic. I'm a little perplexed. I can't remember the last time we filed a claim.

Now that some folks have take delivery, care to share your rates?

Last edited by slw23; 05-17-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM
SeaCay is infamous around these parts
I haven't taken delivery yet but have a Vin number and using it to theoretically replace a '13 Cayenne GTS results in essentially no change in my overall policy's annual cost. Everyone's insurance factors are different so probably hard to compare other than a personal before and after approach. For me in that analysis no significant difference.

The insurance company quoted me $880 annually for a pretty loaded Macan Turbo but that is based on the overall policy factors (same company for multiple vehicles, house, etc.) which are going to be different for everyone.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:30 PM
09RedGTS is infamous around these parts
I have two cars with my insurer, safe driving record and my wife and I both have great credit scores. I pay annually to avoid more frequent rate increases and also avoid the nuisance of paying too many bills. By memory, my GTS costs about $840 vs about $800 for my wife's 2011 RX350 that is pretty well loaded, for full insurance (the max they will write) with $500 deductibles. That seems fair.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by slw23
So... coming close to my purchase decision and quite honestly, when I saw this thread a little while back, I thought to myself, how bad can it really be?

Just got a quote on the Macan Turbo using my vin, premium goes from $550 every 6 months on my 2011 base 958 to $1350.

I mean, that is just pure craziness. The the delta in purchase price between the vehicles is $25k, we're not talking about a $175k exotic. I'm a little perplexed. I can't remember the last time we filed a claim.

Now that some folks have take delivery, care to share your rates?
Do you know what the premium would be for you if you were insuring a Macan S? My original question was to see if the Turbo model would cost more to insure than the S because of the higher power etc.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:24 PM
slw23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Do you know what the premium would be for you if you were insuring a Macan S? My original question was to see if the Turbo model would cost more to insure than the S because of the higher power etc.
I don't, as I gave them the vin of my upcoming vehicle since it wasn't in their database. I get that premiums vary based on many factors, but the close to 3x premium just doesn't make sense. I need to do more digging in Monday when I can talk to my actual agent, otherwise, I'll shop my 3 auto and home policies around. No reason there should be that much of an increase when I've had zero claims.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Insurance for S vs Turbo