McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Is the Mclaren MP4-12C the benchmark entry super car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i don`t care much about its performance, it looks very boring imho.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Boring in comparison to what a Pagani Zonda R?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Here's an really interesting article from Ron Dennis's perspective: Unfortunately, the estimated base price is $230K.. NOT what my Dealer told me.

Go to page 89

http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/57/

Last edited by 80shilling; 04-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by germeezy1
The M838T is rumoured to be derived from a Cosworth race engine reengineered for street use. Not only does it put out 155 hp/ liter specific output but it also makes 116 lb ft a liter, with an unusual for a turbo engine 8500 rpm redline. Talk about a wide powerband 3,000 rpm torque peak and an 8500 rpm redline. I still have not been able to find its wet kerb weight. Interesting I also thought the CF interior was too much.
ditto on the CF interior; i like the aluminum panels better. breaks up the color esp if you go all Black or monotone. would definitely also get contrast stitching

Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
I don't feel it’s legitimate to be stating a car that hasn’t even been released to the public yet as a benchmark - just yet. Once this vehicle has a road presence then that claim could be made. It’s an exciting release and I’m rather glad McLaren and Mercedes decided to part ways on their public car offerings – it looks vastly promising for both (SLS & MP4-12C).

Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Talking

OK.. Some news finally. The Son of the owner of the dealership I am getting my Car from, is in the UK right now getting his initial training on the new MP4-12C.

The Car will be unveiled at a private showing at the Pebble Beach Concours event.. it will be at an invitation only C0cktail party on August 13th. Then, the next day, it will be shown to the general public at the Concours showground.

I will be at the C0cktail party and hopefully can take some photos of the Car to post here. I will get to sit in it and get a feel for the controls etc. Seeing it in person will really help seal the deal for me.

More news as I get it.

Cheers....

Last edited by 80shilling; 07-28-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Should I mention how jealous I am of you?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Should I mention how jealous I am of you?
Well.. don't worry, because I will have to sell my GT2 in order to afford the McLaren..

Here's a picture of what I configured my Car to look like and the options...

White, with the super lightweight wheels in flat black, lightweight exhaust system, ceramic brakes with McLaren Orange calipers, carbon fiber seats, carbon fiber interior (changed my mind on that one) carbon fiber air intakes, carbon fiber engine covers, carbon fiber mirrors, carbon black interior with white contrasting leather and white stitching, white leather inserts on the steering wheel, track electronics package...

CUSTOMISED OPTIONS
EXTERIOR STYLING
SUPER-LIGHTWEIGHT EXHAUST CARBON FIBRE ENGINE BAY PANELS
CARBON FIBRE ENGINE COVERS CARBON FIBRE DIFFUSER
CARBON FIBRE TURNING VANES CARBON FIBRE MIRROR CASINGS
BODY COLOUR SPLITTER EXTERIOR PAINT - WHITE

WHEELS & BRAKES
CARBON CERAMIC BRAKES - McLAREN ORANGE
CALIPER WITH BLACK LOGO
CARBON CERAMIC BRAKES
SUPER-LIGHTWEIGHT FORGED WHEELS - BLACK
FINISH
SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT FORGED WHEELS

INTERIOR
SUPER-LIGHTWEIGHT CARBON FIBRE SPORTS SEATS CARBON FIBRE SEAT BACK
CARBON FIBRE INTERIOR UPGRADE COLOUR COORDINATED STEERING WHEEL -
ALMOND WHITE
CONTRAST COLOURED STITCH - IVORY PASSENGER ZONE - CARBON BLACK LEATHER
DRIVER ZONE - CARBON BLACK LEATHER DASH UPPER - CARBON BLACK LEATHER
DRIVER DOOR INSERT - CARBON BLACK LEATHER PASSENGER SEAT OUTER - ALMOND WHITE
PASSENGER SEAT OUTER - CARBON BLACK LEATHER LDERAIVTEHRE RSEAT OUTER - ALMOND WHITE LEATHER
DRIVER SEAT INNER - CARBON BLACK LEATHER ZONED INTERIOR OPTION
BRANDING UPGRADE

ENTERTAINMENT
IRIS UPGRADE WITH SATELLITE NAVIGATION AND
MERIDIAN SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
TRACK DATA DISPLAY

USING INTELLIGENT DESIGN, WE HAVE
AVOIDED TRADITIONAL COMPROMISES TO
CREATE AN 'AND' CAR.
THE 12C IS FAST AND EFFICIENT.
LIGHT WEIGHT AND STRONG.
COMFORTABLE AND EXHILARATING.

Basically, I am going for the lightest weight I can without compromising the comfort factor. Supposedly with these options, the Car will weigh in at 2900 lbs with a full tank of fuel.. !!

Last edited by 80shilling; 07-28-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Peloton25 will become famous soon enough
Have you seen these images of the white one with black wheels at the Nurburgring yet?

Shame about the watermarks but still nice photos.

>8^)
ER

Old 07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for posting these pictures.. Nice!

I feel like an 8 year old at Christmas, waiting to see if I am getting a new Bike.. Can't wait to see the Car in the flesh and sit in it etc... Only 2 weeks away from the first showing of the Car in the USA...

Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
You're welcome - and major congrats on the pending order. I've built a few of my own on the configuation website but don't have the funds to make any of them a reality yet.

This silver 12C with the carbon accents was at the Farnborough Airshow last weekend:

Look closely and you'll see the carbon panels in the engine bay.

>8^)
ER

Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Peloton25
You're welcome - and major congrats on the pending order. I've built a few of my own on the configuation website but don't have the funds to make any of them a reality yet.

This silver 12C with the carbon accents was at the Farnborough Airshow last weekend:

Look closely and you'll see the carbon panels in the engine bay.

>8^)
ER
WOW!!!! That looks amazing!!! Thanks so much for posting these... I don't like the wheels on that particular Car (reminds me of the Audi R8 V10 wheels), but I am going with the super lightweight wheels which aren't quite so "designey" as these.

Somehow these pictures make the Car look a little bit like the Audi R8 (which I love), but more aggressive and with a nicer front end.

Cheers...

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
The wheels on that car are what I would choose for myself, but I'd take them in the brighter finish. Here's the side view of one of the cars I've configured:

Here's an image from McLaren's hospitality area at the Goodwood Festival a few weeks back showing your Super Lightweight wheels in the gunmetal finish on a silver 12C:

Another taken at the factory as they were completing the build which you may have already seen?

And a closeup:

It is a great looking wheel, there's just something about the other one that I like a bit better.

>8^)
ER

Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Thanks for posting these pictures.. Nice!

I feel like an 8 year old at Christmas, waiting to see if I am getting a new Bike.. Can't wait to see the Car in the flesh and sit in it etc... Only 2 weeks away from the first showing of the Car in the USA...
I like how you built it....the one I built was first that color but then I made it Mclaren Orange....I don't have anything but a dream at this point! What about doing the carbon fiber front bumper under spoiler?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I like how you built it....the one I built was first that color but then I made it Mclaren Orange....I don't have anything but a dream at this point! What about doing the carbon fiber front bumper under spoiler?
I guess my habit of buying a slightly better Car every few years is paying off.. I started with a crappy Fiat 127 as my first Car, then bought a 3.0 Capri, then an RX7, then a Porsche 944 Turbo, then a Corvette ZO6, then the GT2, now trading up to the McLaren.. When you add up how much each Car cost me, PLUS all the mods I did, I am sure it comes to approximately what a Bugatti Veyron costs...

I have built about 25 different versions of the MP4-12C...

My latest is Blue with the orange calipers and carbon fiber package, blue alcantara with black interior.. It kind of was inspired by this: P.S. I have a friend that owns 4... YES FOUR!!! McLaren F1's

Last edited by 80shilling; 07-29-2010 at 03:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mclaren MP4-12C the benchmark entry super car?