McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Is the Mclaren MP4-12C the benchmark entry super car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:45 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ksbenz
Very interesting,thanks. Did the car blow you away to the extent that you must have it whatever the price? I hope the pics do not do it justice, the dash looks like a bit of a mish mash. I suppose that is the 'edgy' look.

Did they give you any idea how much a decently optioned car will be?

Thanks.
At the risk of pissing off the people at McLaren... I really was left slightly cold by the Car.. It's a technological tour de force and no doubt a marvel, but it just doesn't make me "want" it.. The way it looks is very generic in my opinion.. I saw the Ferrari 458 and THAT Car looks gorgeous in the flesh, WAY better than in pictures.

The interior in the McLaren just didn't come up to the standard I expected. The one I was sitting in had Alcantara and leather, with Carbon Fiber and it didn't really POP... Maybe the stainless steel option would provide enough contrast to help a bit.

Quite frankly, I went there with huge expectations and left without a real "need" to buy the Car. I will find out more when I get to drive it in December/January, so I reserve the right to change my mind, but at the moment, I am reconsidering my options. It reminds me of my reaction to driving the Nissan GTR... Too much technology.. it might end up being the fastest Car out there, but then again, the Space Shuttle is fast and loaded with technology, but it's not much of a "driving" experience, is it?

In terms of pricing, I was told that the pricing is still under consideration and subject to where the exchange rates are, but $225K for a decently optioned Car, $275K fully loaded with everything.

On a slightly strange note.. On Sunday, I got to drive the new Mercedes SLR and a couople of other new Cars, but my Girlfriend and I got to drive the SPYKER, C8 LaViolette and we were both blown away!!! It's not the fastest Car out there, but the interior is from another Universe in terms of the quality, looks and sheer tactile experience.. It is just the most intriguing, sumptuous, gorgeous interior ever.. and I mean by a TON over anything else out there.. PLUS, the way it sounds and drives makes you smile and giggle.. It has the V8 from the Audi S8 (not the R8), 400HP and it is LOUD!!! it sounds like a very pissed off, evil smallblock V8 and the gearshift is incredibly precise and solid.. double declutch downshifts are so much fun and sound so good, that you are just searching for ways to change gears at every opportunity. I am seriously considering picking one up.

I guess that sums it up.. I went there expecting to be blown away and seduced by the newest, most technological Supercar in the McLaren and came away loving an anachronistic, quirky throwback Car with ZERO technology in it, but with charisma, personality and character to burn..

Last edited by 80shilling; 08-15-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 PM
trmather is on a distinguished road
Just me, or do the wheels not seem to really 'fill' the arches?

Old 08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
Thanks for that in depth report. I think you answered/confirmed my thoughts exactly and I have not seen one in the flesh. I was hoping you would say something different after seeing it but I feel I bit more deflated now as it appears there is really nothing to look forward to with this car.

Maybe a drive in it will change my mind, but like you I am left a bit cold with it at the moment. Also if with exchange rates and options it ends up on the wrong side of $250k I think I would pass. At that price point there are an awful lot of alternatives out there.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
who quoted you the sub 7:10 "Ring" time; somebody in the KNOW? if that is true; that will be quicker than the 7:18 for the GT2 RS!!!!!!! i think the color threw you off? if you saw it in McLaren orange with the interior metal trim you may have picked it over the 458? more important how did it SOUND?!!!!!! better than the 458? i once got to hear a SCUDERIA; that exhaust would be hard to beat

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
who quoted you the sub 7:10 "Ring" time; somebody in the KNOW? if that is true; that will be quicker than the 7:18 for the GT2 RS!!!!!!! i think the color threw you off? if you saw it in McLaren orange with the interior metal trim you may have picked it over the 458? more important how did it SOUND?!!!!!! better than the 458? i once got to hear a SCUDERIA; that exhaust would be hard to beat
Yup... I talked to a couple of the upper level guys and specifically grilled them on the Nurburgring times.. I mentioned a few times such as the 7:18 of the GT2RS... when I mentioned 7:10 - 7:15 they smiled like the Cat that ate the Canary... They told me that the Car has done hundreds and hundreds of laps around the Nurburgring now.

I don't think the color would help.. I spent 1 1/2 hours looking at the Car from every angle, sitting in it etc and I wanted to love it, but the exterior just is plain and lacking charisma and flair.. I like understated, but this is too generic.

I'm British and desperately want to adore this Car, but so far, I don't. When I get to drive it, that might change.. it could just blow me away...

They didn't even start the Car up for us...

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by trmather
Just me, or do the wheels not seem to really 'fill' the arches?
Agreed.. I'm sure it has something to do with some moronic EEC regulation or something, but the Car rides quite high as well...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Yup... I talked to a couple of the upper level guys and specifically grilled them on the Nurburgring times.. I mentioned a few times such as the 7:18 of the GT2RS... when I mentioned 7:10 - 7:15 they smiled like the Cat that ate the Canary... They told me that the Car has done hundreds and hundreds of laps around the Nurburgring now.

I don't think the color would help.. I spent 1 1/2 hours looking at the Car from every angle, sitting in it etc and I wanted to love it, but the exterior just is plain and lacking charisma and flair.. I like understated, but this is too generic.

I'm British and desperately want to adore this Car, but so far, I don't. When I get to drive it, that might change.. it could just blow me away...

that's a shame; all that pomp and circumstance; and they didn't even start it up! (BIG MISTAKE!) i'm a huge fan of the F1; perfect proportions! wish i had the funds to acquire one i agree with you on the 458 STUNNING; definitely looks exotic! i've been next to a scuderia and it looked wide to me commpared to say a superleggera. from your pix the 12C appears "smaller" than 458 or lp560-4. you must admit the dihedral doors give it some flair. hoping the test drive knocks your sox off! can't wait for that post. i too want to love this car given McLaren's reputation for putting out the BEST. we will see. TIA for reply

Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 PM

did you get any vibes on 0-60 0-100 and 1/4mi times?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
did you get any vibes on 0-60 0-100 and 1/4mi times?
No specifics, but their stated goal is to beat ALL the competition in EVERY category, which they see as the 458, various Lambos etc.. They told me that they had purchased a 458 as their "benchmark".. They intend to beat the competition in 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, 1/4 mile 0-200 Kph, 0-300 Kph, 100-0 and 60-0 as well as top speed. Pretty lofty goals, but I'm sure they will.. With a Turbo Car, all they need to do if they fall slightly short, is bump the boost up a bit...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 PM
No specifics, but their stated goal is to beat ALL the competition in EVERY category, which they see as the 458, various Lambos etc.. They told me that they had purchased a 458 as their "benchmark".. They intend to beat the competition in 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, 1/4 mile 0-200 Kph, 0-300 Kph, 100-0 and 60-0 as well as top speed. Pretty lofty goals, but I'm sure they will.. With a Turbo Car, all they need to do if they fall slightly short, is bump the boost up a bit...
the Turbo did 2.9 to 60mph with the Turbo S likely to be quicker! that's gonna be tough to beat? did they mention or do you know what the CURB weight will be? in person did it look "smaller" than the other exotics ferrari lambo etc. Ditto on the SPYKER; gorgeous interior none better!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 PM
the Turbo did 2.9 to 60mph with the Turbo S likely to be quicker! that's gonna be tough to beat? did they mention or do you know what the CURB weight will be? in person did it look "smaller" than the other exotics ferrari lambo etc. Ditto on the SPYKER; gorgeous interior none better!
Curb weight will be 2900 lbs depending on spec, could be lighter by a bit or as high as 3200 lbs with a heavily spec'd version (lightweight wheels, lightweight exhaust system, CF seats etc) It does look quite small, but not as wide as the Ferrari of Gallardo and it's taller.... I doubt it wil be able to beat the 997.2 PDK or the "S" version 0-60 because of the 4WD, but it should be VERY quick...

Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
The more I learn about it, the more I like it... Looks either grow on you or they don't. I wasn't really into aesthetics too much (see current car for reference), but performance can't be disputed.

Some of the fastest cars in the world are just flat ugly (see Gumpert Apollo).

But something more subtle, like this McLaren or a Noble, could really find its niche as more of a daily commuter.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
The more I learn about it, the more I like it... Looks either grow on you or they don't. I wasn't really into aesthetics too much (see current car for reference), but performance can't be disputed.

Some of the fastest cars in the world are just flat ugly (see Gumpert Apollo).

But something more subtle, like this McLaren or a Noble, could really find its niche as more of a daily commuter.
but if your paying 250K don't you think it should have some "presense"
i think McLaren could have done something with more "pop" with the head lamp assemble; the DRLs don't even stand out, you can't tell the 12C has one when not lit hoping this thing performs like a BEAST on rails right out of the box like it's predecessor (F1)!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
but if your paying 250K don't you think it should have some "presense"
i think McLaren could have done something with more "pop" with the head lamp assemble; the DRLs don't even stand out, you can't tell the 12C has one when not lit hoping this thing performs like a BEAST on rails right out of the box like it's predecessor (F1)!
Agreed - kind'a...

Sometimes you want to stand out - sometimes you sort'a want to blend in. I think this car can give you either (a lot like a Porsche Turbo or GT-R - those who know, know what you have, for everyone else, it is just another Porsche or Nissan).

If a reaction is what you're after, then I think there are alternatives in similar price range - Gallardo, F430, R8V10, DB9, etc...

But I also FIRMLY believe that McLaren will not release this car, if it isn't a 100% improvement in EVERY category over the F1.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Peloton25 will become famous soon enough
Beauty shots from Pebble Beach:

80shilling - since you didn't get to hear them start the car, here's a couple of videos (neither one exciting) of the engine running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNPm2vMc7wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqyoEDeJH0U

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 08-19-2010 at 01:06 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mclaren MP4-12C the benchmark entry super car?