McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Just got my first McLaren

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Just got my first McLaren

Just bought my first McLaren 2017 570S with 6k miles. Car has a tune along with an exhaust and is very fast. Most of the car has clear bra and the interior is like new. Will take some time to get used to the electronics but so far its pretty easy to understand and use.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
very nice. congrats!
will be interesting to hear how your ownership progresses and how reliable the car is. we have a fair number of mclarens running around north dallas, but my concern is always the reliability stories you read.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Rguy is on a distinguished road
Nice feet. lol

Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rguy
Nice feet. lol
Damn..You treed me on that response...lolol

Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by C4Sbeebe
very nice. congrats!
will be interesting to hear how your ownership progresses and how reliable the car is. we have a fair number of mclarens running around north dallas, but my concern is always the reliability stories you read.
I do have some sweet feet.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Just found out the car has a full Fabspeed race performance package and ECU tune which I know little about. Anybody care to educate me on the ECU and exhaust, it does not have cats so I am a little worried about trying to smog it.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 AM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
mclaren

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
Just found out the car has a full Fabspeed race performance package and ECU tune which I know little about. Anybody care to educate me on the ECU and exhaust, it does not have cats so I am a little worried about trying to smog it.
Probably pass smog no problem assuming tune killed the CEL. Just be careful on warranty. Get a good rapport with your McLaren dealer. They will know it has a tune since your CEL will not be illuminated and the car has no cats. Most wont care. Especially if you bring in for non related warranty work (interior stuff or a power window). Find out where tune was done. They should retain your factory settings. If you ever have a serious issue (engine or powertrain failure), I would revert all to stock.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
How did that work out?

Old 04-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by ryem3
How did that work out?
I returned it two days later and did a straight trade on a CPO 2017 Porsche TTS even though it was priced about 5k more. Porsche N. Scottsdale was great with the whole issue, they then sent the car to auction as they did not want anything to do with it either. I would love to buy a McLaren again but I want nothing to do with the factory dealership as I don't trust them.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 04-02-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by silversrt
Probably pass smog no problem assuming tune killed the CEL. Just be careful on warranty. Get a good rapport with your McLaren dealer. They will know it has a tune since your CEL will not be illuminated and the car has no cats. Most wont care. Especially if you bring in for non related warranty work (interior stuff or a power window). Find out where tune was done. They should retain your factory settings. If you ever have a serious issue (engine or powertrain failure), I would revert all to stock.
The problem is the dealership started out lying to me when I went in and asked them questions about the car and the warranty with they assured me it was still under warranty and would be eligible for their CPO warranty. Well that all changed a few hours later when I got a call from the dealer asking if I would bring in my MBZ GT-S for an evaluation as a trade. I told them I bought the McLaren at Porsche N. Scottsdale. The sales guy who I had talked two a few hours earlier said it was too bad as that car has no engine warranty because it has been tuned and has a aftermarket exhaust system. I then asked him why they had told me a different story a few hours earlier that the car had its original warranty until Oct 2019 and would be eligible for the CPO warranty they offer. Porsche N. Scottsdale was fantastic as they had no idea it had a tune and the smog had been tuned out and did everything to make me happy and returned to car 2 days later on a CPO 2017 991,2 TTS with 10k miles. Loved the McLaren and would get another if there was another dealer I could trust in my state. But now I am looking for a Ferrari 599 GTB instead of a McLaren.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 04-02-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Congrats, I just joined the family as well with a 2019 720s and I love it….

Old 05-17-2019, 05:53 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Good idea to get rid of the car. Fabspeed is not an honest company. Glad it worked out in the end. I'm also interested in a McLaren but have the same concern as you . My TT has been as reliable as a wood stove. Just keep putting gas in it.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:47 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Yikes...that blows.
Yes, if you have tune/full exhaust, you are out of luck and out of warranty.
The cars are reliable, but they have experienced some electronic gremlins.

I am on my 2nd mac. I started with a 15' 650s - kept it only for 6 months and had a leaky radiator hose, which I was able to sort out myself. No biggie.
I traded towards a 16' GT3RS and that definitely was not what I had expected. It was so slow compared to the 650s and had problems with the stereo, with the AC and a couple of other annoyances. I decided to go back to a Mac and then traded that an my ACR towards a 720s.

The 720s is in a league of its own.

Before you commit to a 599, make sure you drive it first - they are so boring.