McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Test drove a McLaren MP4-12C @ McLaren of Greenwich

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM
RoadRunnerSTi is on a distinguished road
Test drove a McLaren MP4-12C @ McLaren of Greenwich

I just got the opportunity to test drive the $249,000, 616hp, 3000lb, 0-60mph in 3.0 sec, 10.8 @ 131mph, McLaren MP4-12C...

What a rush this car was.... I've never piloted anything remotely as incredible as this car was... I'm still getting chills from going WOT around Greenwich backroads...

I received a fabulous one on one tutrioal from the head sales manager Pete, who I must say was one of the most professional, honest, and knowledgable sales reps I've ever dealt with. His knowledge of both the MP4-12C and the McLaren F1 racing team was very impressive and thorough. After piloting it and providing an in depth overview of everything, he then let me run through all the chassis and power train settings.

The car has 3 suspension modes and literally it was like going from a Merc, to a BMW, to a Porsche as I cranked up the volume!

To be completely honest it was a bit of a sensory overload... There was just so much to take in, all while discussing it with the sales manager.

The first thing that is very obvious is it is free of the unnessecary harshness and clunkiness associated with exotics, especially when equipped with paddle shifters.

Where it excelled was it's Jekyll and Hyde personality... It is literally a daily drive supercar much in the same way the R8 and 911 Turbo S is... Except that it is much faster and more versatile in its ability to slaughter a race track and then drive home and pick up groceries after.

Like I said each of the 3 chassis settings really created a distinct driving characteristic ranging from plush S-Class ride to Lotus-like road connection.

The MP4 handled better then my ZO6, was more comfortable even on its stiffest chassis setting(and everyone that has ridden in the ZO6 remarks what an amazingly comfortable ride it is for the car). The McLaren was way way faster with zero turbo lag unless you were in comfort mode at like 2krpm outta a 8500rpm redline, and it didn't scrape everywhere I went like the ZO6... I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges but in a way I'm not as the ZO6 also has a reputation for being a competent track rat AND daily driver.

Like I said in sport or race settings there was zero turbo lag and the 3.8l v8 wanted to spin to 8500rpms like it was nothing.... But also felt as burly as my ZO6's 5.7l v8.

The interior was phenomenal, everything perfectly placed and exceptionally executed, and wrapped in either leather, suede or made of gorgeous carbon fiber... But 616hp makes you forget about it very fast lol

I would place it in my top 3 as far supercars in that price range are concerned, and makes a strong argument to be #1.

I gotta admit though I really struggled with the paddle shift tranny .

After driving manual tranny cars exclusively all my life I kept lifting off the throttle on up shifts which would confuse the tranny a little.... and I kept tryin to shift into 1st when it wasn't nessecary because I thought I was going to stall instead of letting the ECU handle it even in manual mode.

Never thought a paddle shift manual tranny would have such a steep learning curve.. Haha

However Pete exhibited immense patience with me and was always trying help improve the driving experience. Again if you have the means, he is the man to see for your purchase!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Nice experience thanks for writing it. Are you considering it for purchase? What other cars would also consider?

BTW I dive a Bentley GTC but did love the F430. I had to consider that I am just driving the regular roads and not on a track. I have read that the McLaren does an excellent job of DD.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
RoadRunnerSTi is on a distinguished road
Sadly no I'm currently not in a position financially to purchase one...

I was offered a no commitment test drive, or joy ride if you will, and would have been a fool to say no... And decided to share a non-biased experience...

Having never driven a GTC I can not compare it, however, with exception of lower ride height on the MP4, I could see the McLaren providing comparable ride quality on its softest chassis setting.

The only exotics I have driven to compare it too are the Ferrai F430 and Lamborghini LP570-4, and while the MP4-12C didn't have the exoticness they both possessed, I would never consider either to be a daily or nearly as versatile as the McLaren. The sound and feel of the Ferrari and Lamborghini provided more of an emotional connection with the respective cars where as the McLaren felt like a perfectly engineered tool ready for anything you threw at it.

Each certainly provides its own mixed bag of pros and cons and it really depends on how you plan to live with it and use it.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I agree about the F430. Very emotionally engaging car, wild and thrilling for sure but little to aggressive for every day use. I to had a no commitment joy ride and I was doing it. I'd jump at the McLaren too.

My big questions on some of these ultra-exotics would be reliablity and reasonable cost of ownership. It's one thing to give a ton of coin on a nice car but another to shell out all the time for all kinds of unforeseen costs. Could spoil it for me. I am not the uber rich either.