Need Help Choosing Schools Systems in VA/MD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
GUYS - SERIOUSLY THIS IS AN OUTSTANDING THREAD OF DISCUSSION. I'm REALLY LEARNING A LOT FROM ALL OF YOU!!!! KEEP IT COMING!!!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
I've lived in NOVA pretty much my entire life and went through the Fairfax county school system. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dan1
I've lived in NOVA pretty much my entire life and went through the Fairfax county school system. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Do you have classified info on FFX school system?

Do share.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Ken Lally is on a distinguished road
Private school...

I grew up here as well and went through the FXCnty school system.

My kid goes to Catholic private school (Our Lady of Hope in Cascades).
There is much to say about a smaller private school vs public.

At private school (at least my daughter's):
The kids all know each other (all grades)
They are like a big family
They are all sweet and kind to each other
The uniforms are an equallizer and reduce some of the competitive stress

I guess my point is ---- consider the private path. The diff is so clear to me when my kid spends time with public school kids in various summer camps....I can get into that off-line with ya

Last edited by Ken Lally; 02-16-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM
AvusRS6 will become famous soon enoughAvusRS6 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ken Lally
I grew up here as well and went through the FXCnty school system.

My kid goes to Catholic private school (Our Lady of Hope in Cascades).
There is much to say about a smaller private school vs public.

At private school (at least my daughter's):
The kids all know each other (all grades)
They are like a big family
They are all sweet and kind to each other
The uniforms are an equallizer and reduce some of the competitive stress

I guess my point is ---- consider the private path. The diff is so clear to me when my kid spends time with public school kids in various summer camps....I can get into that off-line with ya
Without offending anyone, I do agree with you on the Private vs. Public topic. My son attends Nysmith and the youngest will attend there next year as well. I do agree it ultimately boils down to the individual, but when I watch my son (private school) do activities with his cousins in the same grade (public school) I can see a big "academic" gap. To be fair, I have seen many bright, bright kids that do attend public schools. My sister, for example, sent her daughter to private school last year and she now attends public (albeit GT program) and she is pretty bright. Again, big factor is the individual.
My wife and I have decided to move from Ashburn to either McLean or Great Falls. The initial logic was to move there for the "good" school district and not worry about sending our sons to private schools anymore, but after further discussions, we have decided to move and keep our sons in private.

The move, well I had an alterior motive really...I want more garage space!!!!!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
AvusRS6 will become famous soon enoughAvusRS6 will become famous soon enough
Berk, Private vs Public is an age old debate. Don't get too hung up on this and make the best decision for your son that YOU think is best. We're all going to have opinions no matter what. I personally prefer private schools based on my personal research and experience (I have attended the FFX Co public school system).

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Alex - I have really learned a great deal from this thread. I truly appreciate everyone's input here. This thread is 5 STAR to me!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 AM
avonlady has a spectacular aura aboutavonlady has a spectacular aura about
Berk what you need to do is save all that money that you would spend with school systems and what not. Go and buy another P car. Home school your kids. And everyday spend time teaching them on how to become professional drivers. (IRL, Rolex series, and Nascar) It could be a major pay day for you in the long run.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Fraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really nice
My daughter goes to nokeville elementary. I think it's more about parental involvement than anything else that makes a school work. Cash helps, though...