Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Suspensions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:40 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Suspensions

I am contemplating suspensions. The two routes are coilovers and separates.
Randy at Webb Motorsports http://www.mini-motorsport.com/ has told me to go with the separates using H-Sport springs and Koni adjustable shocks. This advice is after many tests with both coilovers and separates. Thoughts?

Old 09-10-2003, 12:38 PM
RandyBMC is on a distinguished road
We talked, but here are some thoughts...

The advantages to a coilover set up are two fold:

Corner balance - allows you to compensate for weight distribution - "jacking" in NASCAR terms I believe.

Adjustable ride height - you can determine how low or high you want to set the car, within the parameters of the system.

With Koni yellows, you can still get great rebound and compression rates, with some adjustability on the rebound side. Throw in the rates on the H-Sports, and you have a winner that ranks right up there with the coilover set ups at a fraction of the cost. You give up the two aforementioned coilover advantages, but the cost savings can be significant.

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 09-11-2003, 12:26 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is on a distinguished road
On my Passat that is the route many people are going. But what are your thoughts on the Eibach pro-kit (Sport Spring) instead of H&R Sport Springs. I've heard that the H&R's are a little bit stiffer that the Eibach.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:15 AM
RandyBMC is on a distinguished road
The Eibach sport springs lower the car a bit too much. The springs I like are the H-Sports by Hotchkis Performance. They have a softer front rate but stiffer rear rate when compared to the H&R springs. That helps dial out the inherent understeer of the MINI.

The problem is you only start out with 5" of front travel, so if you lower it by 1.5" as the Eibach kit does, you end up with a very quick bump stop encounter.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Randy
720-841-1002

Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
So, with the H-Sports, not to be confused with H&R's, what is the drop that I can expect in the front and the rear? Is the spring rate of the H-Sports equal to or stiffer than stock?

Old 09-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Minibeast is on a distinguished road
I've been using the Spax for track use. Nice adjustability on both height and rebound. Not the best for street use though.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:53 AM
KPV
Minibeast,
I want to go coilovers because then I will never say "What if I went to coilovers?" but I never heard of some of these brands. I know of Bilstein, H&R, Eibach, and Koni. Until I read some catalogs, I have never heard of Spax, KW, Leida, etc. It makes it tough to decide.
Why don't you like the SPax for road use?
Can you rundown your list of aftermarket performance components?

Old 09-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Minibeast is on a distinguished road
Spax is a British Suspension system that's been used on previous generation Mini's for years. They of course started building for the new Mini as soon as it came out.

Performance mods done for my Minibeast so far.

Spax Coilover suspension Genration I
Quaife Limited Slip Differential
Alta Pulley
Evotech Performance Software
Throttle Body upgrade
Stoptech Brake upgrade
Rogue CAI with rear panel mod
Mini Mania Headers
Borla Sport Exhaust
Powerflex engine bushings
KMC Camber plates (being installed)
Competition SSR 17/7.5 (2 sets)
Hoosier 205/30/17 (track)
Bridgestone SO3 215/35/17 (rain)

Old 09-15-2003, 10:39 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
KPV,
get whatever just make sure DO NOT GET H&R coilovers. they suck a big time!

Old 09-15-2003, 10:46 PM
KPV
After all of the horror stories I have heard about H&R dropping the car more than advertised and not havng enough adjustment to take out drop (In the case of coilovers) I plan to steer clear. That is why I chose the Bilsteins for the TT. Speaking of Bilsteins, I know they were supposed to come out with PSS series coilovers for the MINI. Has that happened yet? IF so, where can I get them?

Old 09-18-2003, 02:58 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i have a set of H&R coilovers for my MCS sitting in my garage for over 3 months.

installed on my car and the front just dropped way too much. called them and there was a guy named Steven who promised to help me by offering me a set of longer front springs (infact, they have too redesign the kit. WTF!).

he promised me the springs are gonna be shipped to me in about 4-5 weeks (he SUGGESTED me not to RUSH them because it takes time for them to MACHINE a new springs. WTF no.2, redesign is a... redesign ok!)

i wasn't happy to wait anymore after the promised day. BTW, that's 3 weeks later than the promised 4-5 weeks.

as today the 9/17/03, 12+ weeks have passed and i still haven't got the stuffs from them. i called the guy several times he simply just won't return my call. he is either in MEETING or already GONE FOR THE DAY, or LUNCH... WTF no.3. leaving message in his voice mail box makes me feel like a idiot because what's the point if u know he's not gonna call u back.

anyways, that's their CUSTOMER SERVICE. period!

Old 09-18-2003, 08:56 AM
KPV
That confirms what I have heard about them. Has anyone heard anyhting about the Bilsteins?